Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 build suggestions

Pim

with January 1st marking the start of the next build looming we should begin to consider the theme if there is to be one in 2016 on the 2015 build thread there was some ideas were drafted they were:

1. Box stock - any model - no kitbashing, use what came in the box.

2. Supercars and Concept cars.

3. Muscle Madness - any car commonly thought of as a muscle car from 1963 - 1976 - technology of the day only

4. Euro Cannonball - no US vehicles, race will be held in Europe

5. The 1960's - any car from 1960-1969 model years, no technology limitations

6. Unlimited - basically no theme - build whatever you want.

7. aussieball- all rhd cars

(copied this from your post Rob if that's ok)

if you like any of these suggestions or have some of your own please comment;)

(copied this from your post Rob if that's ok)

if you like any of these suggestions or have some of your own please comment;)

Very okay. There seemed to be a lot of interest in doing the Aussie Cannonball where about half the race would "off the paved roads". This is something we haven't tried yet and I think it's a great subject. The RHD drive conversion is a nice challenge also. There are a lot of options also. There are plenty of rally car kits, 4x4 kits and plenty of options for kitbashing into something like the 4x4 Charger in the latest Fast & Furious film. Also Baja racing would be a good source of inspiration as well. 

I was planning on starting the suggestions thread after this years voting was done. But seeing's how a thread has been started we'll go ahead a hash out what themes end up on the 2016 build poll that I will be starting on the 12th.

However if enough folks agree on the same choice here then we'll just run with that instead.

As we all know the polling feature only allows for 5 choices per group so we'll just keep this down to the most popular 5. More than 5 will be listed below with a general run down on rules (open to suggestion and change) for each theme. The 5 most popular will end up on the poll. 

1. Cannonball: Outback Edition/ The Run From Down Under.

An Offroad Australian theme based on Ray's (Helix's) route from Darwin to Adelaide. Year, make, model: unrestricted? Must be right hand drive if newer than 30 years, if older than 30 years can be left hand drive. Build needs to be capable of long off road travel.

2. Cannonball: Muscle Madness

Rules are simple enough, build a muscle car from (I was going to suggest a decade of muscle 64 -74) but 63 - 76 is more accurate. Engine, drivetrain, rims paint, basically everything must be period accurate, no 22"s or "modern" upgrades.

Custom paint jobs would be fine as long as it represented the era???

3. Cannonball: Exotic and Concept.

Any Supercar or existing Concept car. When I say existing I mean no scratching your own concept car. It's got to be a car from any of the automakers, if anyone's up to scratching one of those then it's fine. B)  

4. Cannonball: The European Run

Restricted to only European brands. Models and years: Unrestricted? Upgrades (European only) or period accurate? 

5. Cannonball: Inside The Box 

Build anything as long as it's from a sealed or stock box. Restricted to only that the kit originally came with. (To quote Dominik) No kit bashing, no aftermarket parts, no resin pieces, no photo etch parts, nothing fancy, nothing wild, & nothing scratch built.

Paint job is unrestricted :D

6. Cannonball: Run From The 60's

Any make or model from 1960 to 1969. No limitations to power, drive, frame, paint, ect.

7. Cannonball: From The Factory

Must be a production car, must be factory stock. Any feature arrangement is fine as long as it was available from the factory. Year, make, model, unrestricted?

The unlimited theme is off the table. You guys did such an amazing job with this years themed build so let's keep this going. :)

Again, this is just a light run down of rules for each theme, always open to more theme ideas along with suggestions and improvements on the ones already up. I don't plan on being a dictator next year. . . Of course, then again. . . :D

If you want to have an OOB or factory stock build off them have one.  Just don't make it a Cannonball build.  I don't see the point in limiting our imagination that way.  Plus you set yourself up for pointless arguments about which build options came with which release and whether the 69 big block had bench seats or buckets.

Similar arguments are possible with Muscle cars - "What is a Muscle Car" is one of the oldest and largest automotive can of worms there is.  Just do a search here for that topic and see what I mean.

I'm not interested in exotics.

Euro is too limiting. All you'll get is Porsches plus V8 Trabants from me, Jant & Luna.   Why not make it Euro Jap?  Body must be European or Japanese but other than that anything goes.  Lets see how good you all are at scratchbuilding under hood detail into engineless Jap kits.

Sixties is good but be prepared for arguments over wheels.

Aussieball is my favourite.  Compulsary RHD as IRL no-one would enter a race on public roads and deliberately handicap themselves by restricting their ability to overtake by driving on the wrong side of the car.

So I vote;

1) Aussieball

2) EuroJap

3) Sixties

If you want to have an OOB or factory stock build off them have one.  Just don't make it a Cannonball build.  I don't see the point in limiting our imagination that way.  Plus you set yourself up for pointless arguments about which build options came with which release and whether the 69 big block had bench seats or buckets.

Similar arguments are possible with Muscle cars - "What is a Muscle Car" is one of the oldest and largest automotive can of worms there is.  Just do a search here for that topic and see what I mean.

I'm not interested in exotics.

Euro is too limiting. All you'll get is Porsches plus V8 Trabants from me, Jant & Luna.   Why not make it Euro Jap?  Body must be European or Japanese but other than that anything goes.  Lets see how good you all are at scratchbuilding under hood detail into engineless Jap kits.

Sixties is good but be prepared for arguments over wheels.

Aussieball is my favourite.  Compulsary RHD as IRL no-one would enter a race on public roads and deliberately handicap themselves by restricting their ability to overtake by driving on the wrong side of the car.

So I vote;

1) Aussieball

2) EuroJap

3) Sixties

Good points.

Yes, good points. Thanks Zen for again redirecting us back the spirit of the Cannonball and why we do it. Right now it's uncertain I'll be partaking next year since I'm so far behind on more personal modeling projects. HOWEVER, my preference would be

1. Outback Ausieball

3. Exotic/Concept (with the option to embellish).

agree with Fred's (the other one) points. the spirit of Cannonball in my view is not a classic musclecar-/ boxstock-building. Only exotics looks like a real Gumball, not my taste, nothing special

I would vote for:

1.  #1 Outback Edition, Aussieball (like the challange RHD/LHD vis-a-vis produktionyear and all the stuff what be needed to carry with)

2.  #4 Euro/Japball  (sounds good to me and you're also free for kit bashing)

I have one question about the Aussieball , will the cars have to be street  legal windshields ,wiper , lights ,etc.?

It is not really my call, but I'd assume so, traveling on public roads and everything (if only for half the way or so).

Then again there is a paradox in there. Racing on public roads implies a deliberate intention to break most if not all general motoring laws and rules. Does it make sense to strive to keep your car in compliance with the requirements of the law, when you show total disregard for any law regarding driving and conduct on the road?

I would suggest a demand for regular light equipment, and DOT approved tires at least for the on-road sections. Other than that, I am hoping for the officials at the technical inspection to be lenient when it comes to things like emissions and environmental concerns. And safety equipment can be up to each participant to spec to his own demand.  As for wipers, I don't know for Australia but in Europe I know for a fact that wipers are only required on cars that is fitted with a windshield (which by the way is not required. - ref  Ariel Atom and Renault Sport Spider). Maybe one of the Aussies on here can chime in on that. 

It is not really my call, but I'd assume so, traveling on public roads and everything (if only for half the way or so).

Then again there is a paradox in there. Racing on public roads implies a deliberate intention to break most if not all general motoring laws and rules. Does it make sense to strive to keep your car in compliance with the requirements of the law, when you show total disregard for any law regarding driving and conduct on the road?

I would suggest a demand for regular light equipment, and DOT approved tires at least for the on-road sections. Other than that, I am hoping for the officials at the technical inspection to be lenient when it comes to things like emissions and environmental concerns. And safety equipment can be up to each participant to spec to his own demand.  As for wipers, I don't know for Australia but in Europe I know for a fact that wipers are only required on cars that is fitted with a windshield (which by the way is not required. - ref  Ariel Atom and Renault Sport Spider). Maybe one of the Aussies on here can chime in on that. 

yeah European laws are the same as aussie laws however it is mandatory that all cars here have a windscreen so vehicles like the Ariel Atom is not allowed in this country