Model Cars Magazine Forum

BOSS 429 - 1969 vs. 1970

I have a few of the BOSS 429 kits, but I would really like to do a 69 version. Is there anything out there, like a resin transkit or something?

I know the front end is different, but what else is different, other than the side vents?

Edited by Quick GMC

I assume you're wanting to convert the Monogram 1/24 kit. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a transkit for it.

If I were you, I'd do some googling and see if anyone has ever done a diecast '69 Boss 9, or at least a 1/24 '69 Mustang FB that could be built into one using the Monogram kit parts. Just an idea.

I assume you're wanting to convert the Monogram 1/24 kit. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a transkit for it.

If I were you, I'd do some googling and see if anyone has ever done a diecast '69 Boss 9, or at least a 1/24 '69 Mustang FB that could be built into one using the Monogram kit parts. Just an idea.

That's a good idea, thank you. I know they are subtle differences, but to me the 69 looks a lot better. 

The only thing is that the Revell 69 Mustang is 1:25th scale and the Revell/Monogram 70 Boss 429 is 1:24th scale, it's only the engine and hood scoop that are different between the 69 Mach 1 and 70 Boss and I haven't tried myself so I don't know how well the engine from the 70 Boss 429 fits in the 69 engine bay...it might work.

As I said, the Revell 1969 Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet is 1/25th scale and the Revell/Monogram 1970 Boss 429 is 1/24th scale, so the engine can be a bit large for the 69...I don't know as I haven't tried.

Edited by Force

I built one using the Revell 1/25 69 Mach 1 and the Revell 70 Boss 429. It is easier than building a 69 Boss 302. That was more work in my opinion. The scale difference is slight and the motor is a tight fit but not impossible. I used the hood scoop engine from the 70 as they will be needed. Everything else but the decals came from the 69 kit.

On the 69, the only body mod I did was remove the molded in battery from the engine compartment. The real car has the battery in the trunk. Plus the air cleaner snorkel would hit it anyways. I assembled the engine without the valve covers glued on as it will not insert into the body from underneath. You will need to mock it up with the air cleaner in place as you will need to cut the hole in the hood and fit the scoop. This needs to be carefully measured as the air cleaner will actually fit in this hole for the hood to close but the scoop covers it. I think the motor being larger also gives the right look to the size of the real motor in the real car! I also used the exhaust from the 429 kit and shortened it to fit the 1/25 chassis. The tires are from the 429 kit and the wheels are AMT and I believe from the 68 Roadrunner kit.

BTW the valve covers, air cleaner, strut tower braces and master cylinder booster were all glued in place after the chassis was mated to the body. Otherwise the engine will not fit into the body.

Also note that 69 Boss 429's have body color hood scoops and the 70 Boss 429's have semi gloss black scoops.

6942903.jpg

Edited by Sport Suburban

I am doing one right now.  Let's clear up some misinformation in the above pics too.  The 69 boss 9 did not have exposed exhaust tips as the pic suggests.  They ALL had a straight rear valence and turndowns. That applies for 70 as well.   Secondly, no need to fit louvers to a boss 9.  None were factory installed either year.  Only interior color in 69 was black.  The magnum 500s were different from 69 to 70.  For a correct 69 wheel steal some from the Amt mopars.  Tall center cap they had and different spokes.  As far as engine size, the 70 engine fits just about right in the 69 Mach model.  

mine will be black jade. A rare 69 only colour.  The exhaust is also different from 69-70.  The 69 uses the transverse muffler and resonators and the 70 used regular mufflers.  I am lucky enough to have access to a 69 and a 70 to look at and know the cars quite well.  Going to be a fun project.  Hoping someone on here can hook me up with the corrected front end