Model Cars Magazine Forum

Top gear

cowboy rich

Sorry, I quit watching it two or three years ago. While some of it is entertaining, they were destroying too many nice old cars for my liking.

I'm guessing Cowboy Rich is referring to the US version of the show, which, IMNSHO, is a horrible imitation of the original.  When I first heard Adam Ferrara was going to be part of the show, I assumed he was there to provide comic relief.  Unfortunately, his role, summed up by the show as "the wrecker", seems to be limited to finding a way to destroy old cars, many of which looked to be in very good shape.  

Tanner Faust is a talented driver who would win almost every driving contest if not for the grade school shenanigans the producers use to make things "fair'', and I know I'm not the only one who can't take more than 5 minutes of the bearded chimp at one time.  

That said, I'm not sure how much enthusiasm I can muster for the recently-revamped UK version either.  It'd be hard to match the chemistry that Clarkson, Hammond and May had, and the producers will really need to be on their game to come up with scenarios that aren't pale imitations of ideas that've already been done.  

I also do not normally watch the show for the same reasons that have been stated I only turned it on last night becuase I lived at uncle toms cabin for six years and the rubicon trail was our backyard. It doesn't surprise me that the show isn't that popular with a lot folks seeing how most of it is just tearing up vehicles, and their main purpose was to do a street view for Google,IMO if can't get around there with a real map stay on the flat land.

Rich

That said, I'm not sure how much enthusiasm I can muster for the recently-revamped UK version either.  It'd be hard to match the chemistry that Clarkson, Hammond and May had, and the producers will really need to be on their game to come up with scenarios that aren't pale imitations of ideas that've already been done.  

Well good thing Clarkson , Hammond, and May have a new show thats on tap to debut in the autumn

Did anybody see tonight's episode going across the rubicon, uncle toms cabin had a real short piece there, THATS where I used to live in California 

Rich

I watched the this episode only because of it being set on the Rubicon. I have just never gotten that excited about the US version. I wanted to see just how rough the Rubicon was. While difficult it didn't seem as terrifying as they made it out to be.  

I agree they over played it, but it is about 3 days to run that 18 miles it is rough and beats you up pretty good.  AND having been there myself there are other ways to go than the way they beat the heck out of those rigs, but even with that said most people that have been there plan for 4 days on the trail that's one place in California that if you didn't bring it, you ain't got it.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

They selected 3 cars to run in the 24 Hours of LeMons. A Crown Vic, Golf, and a 720 Nissan. The 720 looked pretty nice, but the dropped it on the Golf. 

I was relieved when the 240Z survived the Car for Life episode with only minor damage.

As martinfan5 mentioned, Clarkson & friends have a new show coming in the fall, "The Grand Tour."

To me Top Gear is dead without Clarkson, Hammond, and May. I hope I to get see The Grand Tour over here.

Oh, and Top Gear US was dead from the start. I like Adam. But, that's about it.