Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All these paint jobs are amazing, not a bad one in the bunch! I'm inspired - and jealous!!!

I can build and modify models into anything I can think of. But my problem is, I can never finish them because I've had the worst luck with priming and painting them. I have an airbrush but I could never get a decent spray and flow out of it. So I use spray cans. I can't use enamel because I cant polish it out, and I like to use Dupli-color touch up automotive paint because its durable, flows out thin and the colors look real because they are real! My problem is finding good primer as a solid hard base. Krylon reformulated theirs so now its real thick and buries detail, plus its too soft to block sand, and Duplicolor primer is hit or miss - most of the time it crazes the plastic and doesn't protect the plastic from the lacquer finish.

Any ideas? I've got a lot of car bodies waiting for paint, and I don't want to ruin them and have to start over. Oh how I miss Krylon's old primer formula, out of the can it worked great!

All these paint jobs are amazing, not a bad one in the bunch! I'm inspired - and jealous!!!

I can build and modify models into anything I can think of. But my problem is, I can never finish them because I've had the worst luck with priming and painting them. I have an airbrush but I could never get a decent spray and flow out of it. So I use spray cans. I can't use enamel because I cant polish it out, and I like to use Dupli-color touch up automotive paint because its durable, flows out thin and the colors look real because they are real! My problem is finding good primer as a solid hard base. Krylon reformulated theirs so now its real thick and buries detail, plus its too soft to block sand, and Duplicolor primer is hit or miss - most of the time it crazes the plastic and doesn't protect the plastic from the lacquer finish.

Any ideas? I've got a lot of car bodies waiting for paint, and I don't want to ruin them and have to start over. Oh how I miss Krylon's old primer formula, out of the can it worked great!

About 98% of my builds are done using Nothing but Duplicolor paints, even engine and interior parts. I use the filler primer with zero problems. the only time I've ever noticed "crazing", is when I haven't washed the part first good enough, or when I tried to spray Duplicolors "regular" primer over plastic. When I put down an opaque coat of filler primer, I can put anything down over it. I've been using Duplicolor since 1987. I've also noticed that the plastic in some of the Testors kits crazed on me, but I sanded it down between a few coats, and it was fine in the end, and to this day, the finish is great. Let me know in a PM if you want to talk to me more about this.......hope I did, or can help.

I have had good luck with good ole Rust-oleum sand-able & filler primer out of the auto section in Wal-mart. I just shot a model with Duplicolor over Tamiya primer without incidence as well.

I have also had luck polishing enamel using 10000 grit & finer wet sandpaper & Novus 2 Plastic polish.

I miss Krylon's Crystal Clear acrylic:( Its sad when companies ruin their own product, especially the one's you have come to rely on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I’ve already submitted a couple, but this needed to be included in this thread.  My 70 Buick GS Stage 1.  This was unique for me as the color I wanted was an enamel, which I generally avoid. I don’t have an airbrush, so I’m using rattle can

But, I laid two coats on, let them dry for two weeks, and compound was all I needed to get the finish smooth and set for clear.  Three coats of Mr Hobby clear and somebwax... pretty happy!!

97055582-EB1E-47D9-85AD-75225149FA74.thumb.jpeg.fd38c16dcf5cac0d54135fd2104a81af.jpeg

9476C541-D3DA-4342-85CA-45C0BB1CD04A.thumb.jpeg.10d0136132a0341d1ed5e146ba626456.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 1:25 AM, Kmb0319 said:

OK, I’ve already submitted a couple, but this needed to be included in this thread.  My 70 Buick GS Stage 1.  This was unique for me as the color I wanted was an enamel, which I generally avoid. I don’t have an airbrush, so I’m using rattle can

But, I laid two coats on, let them dry for two weeks, and compound was all I needed to get the finish smooth and set for clear.  Three coats of Mr Hobby clear and somebwax... pretty happy!!

97055582-EB1E-47D9-85AD-75225149FA74.thumb.jpeg.fd38c16dcf5cac0d54135fd2104a81af.jpeg

9476C541-D3DA-4342-85CA-45C0BB1CD04A.thumb.jpeg.10d0136132a0341d1ed5e146ba626456.jpeg

Awesome, what color is that?

On 10/5/2017 at 3:26 PM, Dann Tier said:

About 98% of my builds are done using Nothing but Duplicolor paints, even engine and interior parts. I use the filler primer with zero problems. the only time I've ever noticed "crazing", is when I haven't washed the part first good enough, or when I tried to spray Duplicolors "regular" primer over plastic. When I put down an opaque coat of filler primer, I can put anything down over it. I've been using Duplicolor since 1987. I've also noticed that the plastic in some of the Testors kits crazed on me, but I sanded it down between a few coats, and it was fine in the end, and to this day, the finish is great. Let me know in a PM if you want to talk to me more about this.......hope I did, or can help.

How are you avoiding ghost lines with the Duplicolor paints? It’s kept me from painting bodies with their colors for a while now.

Ill sand down the mold lines and cover them completely with my primer(usually Tamiya). But a few coats of paint later the mold lines reappear through the paint and I don’t know how to stop it.

7 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

How are you avoiding ghost lines with the Duplicolor paints? It’s kept me from painting bodies with their colors for a while now.

Ill sand down the mold lines and cover them completely with my primer(usually Tamiya). But a few coats of paint later the mold lines reappear through the paint and I don’t know how to stop it.

I do get ghosting after I put my first coat of color on, but then I sand it all down with 2000 grit, and respray the color, and its gone. This is how I spray: three coats filler primer, sand with 2000 grit, another coat of filler primer, sand with 2000 grit, then spray two coats color, sand with 2000 grit  -spray another color coat, sand with 2000 grit, and if everything looks good and smooth, apply clear coat -usually 4 coats, sanding with 2000 grit in between. My method is almost always 4-primer, 4-color, and 4-clear. This gives me a true down to scale gloss......not that out of scale, heavily dipped, toy-like, detail-drowning finish that people try to achieve for some reason.