Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Clearance in Glendale AZ store

In Glendale (could be Peoria?) AZ, 75th Ave and Bell.

Several kits on clearance. Off the top of my head-The Lindberg 34 Ford Pickup, Mustang GT Funny Car (more of a gasser style), Don Garlits' FE Dragster, Piranha Spy car (the flat box with added stuff version), the Corvette Gasser(maybe 1962?), the 71(?) Thunderbird with the psychedelic colors,  the DogCatcher kit, the 1/32nd 40 Ford convertible, several other cars. Couple of ship kits and a lot of the airplanes as well.

I bought one of the 34 pickups (I have about 4 now I think) and one of the Mustang gasser cars. Shouldn't have bought any, but couldn't resist. Wanted more but money wasn't there.

Russ

just thought of two more, the Starsky and Hutch Torino and the General Lee Charger.

And at least as of about 3pm, all clearance kits are still located in the regular model kit aisle.

Russ

Edited by russosborne
added info

I have a brand new Hobby Lobby in town.  I could walk there if I was ambitious.  

About 3 years ago during a career transition I thought about opening a hobby shop in town.  I'm soooo glad I didn't!  :D

Edited by Tom Geiger

Any trucks of any kind on clearance?

First, a big thanks to Russ for the heads-up!

The closest HL to me had the AMT Ford LN-8000 "Race Car Hauler" for $22.79. That was the only big truck I saw on clearance. Had my eye on that one for some time, so I grabbed it.  My store was out of the Lindberg 34 Ford pickup. It's always in stock but the spot for it was bare. Ditto the Revell GMC pickup with snow plow. 

In car kits, a big surprise was the Barris Surf Woody. On sale for $13.19, IIRC.  That's a very recent issue kit and a steep discount. 

Some others: AMT Fruit Wagon Double '25 Model T $14.39; 23 T Delivery Van "Nestles" for about the same price; AMT 66 Mustang $13.79; MPC 79 Pontiac Trans Am $17.99; Starsky & Hutch Torino $14.99.  For aircraft fans, the fantastic Revell Stearman PT-17, already a good deal at full retail, was discounted to $10.79.

It was quite the model-buying day here. Ollie's was having a "25% off everything sale," so I picked up 2 of the Lindberg TN State Patrol Crown Vics (regular price $7.99). And Michael's e-mailed me a 50% off coupon. So staying with the Cop/Govt. Theme, I used that for a Revell Snap-Tite Crown Vic.

Doesnt sound like anything they have on clearance is worth using a 40% off coupon:mellow:

They price their clearance stuff at 40% off, so either way you get the same "discount".

I did notice that they had marked the Revell Impala police car snap fast kits down. I remember buying a bunch of those at Michaels years ago after a Saturday build session for $5!

Just got back from mine. As someone mentioned, they don't have the clearance kits separated, like sometimes; you have to spot the little yellow tags on the kits on the shelf.

Only truck I saw was, I think, a '77 GMC Wrecker. Probably ex-MPC.

Was hoping to score a "spare" AMT Piranha at the cheap price, but it didn't seem to be on sale. But I moved the one facing out on the shelf and shazam, right behind it was one with the magic yellow tag. Boo-yah!

Got another AMT '66 Mustang funny car, "just because."  Hey, you never know when these old crocks are going to disappear again for a decade or two.

You can't use the coupon on clearance items.  It comes out to be around the same price anyway, only you can buy several clearance kits at the same time.

Right, that was a mistake on my part, knowing the that the clearance price is close to 40% is probably why I said coupon, silly me.

Best you can hope for is a second final discount; if you're patient sometimes they'll do that.

I went by the Deerfield store and made some quick notes:

'71 T-bird and Honda Trail - $16.79

'34 Ford pickup - $10.19 (soooo tempted)

'69 Corvair, '66 Mustang F/C, Lil' Hot Dogger, '58 Vette, '62 Vette gasser, '79 Trans Am, '70 Chevelle - $14.99

'23 T Van - $14.39

'77 GMC wrecker - $16.19

'51 Bel Air - $13.19

'41 Ford custom woody - $17.39

Dukes of Hazzard snap-kit General Lee - $13.79

AMT slicks, Racemaster and Blue Streak - $5.99

I was thinkin of stopping by the one in Tolleson tomorrow. It has an area to park a truck. I may be able to talk a friend into lettin me borrow her car to go visit the one in Glendale. I kinda want to pick up another race car hauler for parts. I have an idea for the tractor alone.