Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mako Shark ll/63 split window kustom project --small Updated pics 9/25/2016

DrKerry

you could just use C6 or C7 suspension/running gear unless you're going for a period correct custom/concept car.

I'm going with the old MPC chassis as it fits the body so well and am using 63 styled suspension under it..... It may go towards and old skool show rod look for it...

mannn that is spot on !! the shape compliments the front ang go's together perfect !

i would not go to flares if it needs bigger arches i would work then on as one piece

Richard, the flares will only go on if the quarters need to cover the tires that I put on... Or if they look like they belong on it....

A little more progress, cross member is in, tail center panel is in, firewall and cowl are in and need a little more work, engine location pics. I'm using the engine from Revell's 77 ?? Corvette kit with Monograms 70 Heavy Chevy Chevelle's blower set up on top of it. Scoop should be a bit higher than the roof line....

Pulled the rear thruster type mags out of a 63 vert Vette that I have here, may look better then the ones in photo.

Flares are on and you're right Jim, the wells need to be bigger. Getting ready to hog them out next....

I was leaning more towards the first set of mags and the thruster set were my second choice...

I like the 2nd set you show, with the knockoffs, if you're going for something period-looking.

The "finished" Mako Shark II debuted in 1965 so if you're going for an early or developmental version of it, you'd be looking at wheels from somewhere in the 1964-65 timeframe, and the knockoff wheels look the part most to me.

Just remembered, you're sticking a big blower on the thing, so you're not really going for a factory design studio developmental look. So I guess there are really no "rules" with your project, and you can use whatever wheels/tires you want.

I've always liked the Torquethrust (sp?) but they seem to work (for me) on cars that are more traditional. Your Vette is not traditional. It's a custom and I'd go with the top ones in the 3 pic post. Those in the one pic post look like they're off my wife's CRV. :D

Ok, I have an idea between two of the wheel sets that I want to use but cannot decide...... What do you all think???  ......

My vote goes to the 2nd photo with the spinners.

Glad to help with the visualization of the side window openings. One of my weaknesses is for customized Vettes, so I couldn't resist seeing how the suggestions would work on the window openings. I've photo alteration-visualized a few of my own Vette ideas, including this one within my 'artwork' thread of a custom I won't probably pursue. Handy to have my graphic arts training and my obsolete CorelDRAW 11 program to use for 'virtual model customizing'. By way of example, I thought I had a fun idea of combining a Daytona Superbird with a '72 Mustang a while back, but I absolutely could not get the illustration to look good. So, I saved myself the cash from buying a Dodge for a custom that would have looked just as bad in real life.

Thank ya much guys..... I'll have to do another round of wheels on it's heels and see what they look like a bit better now that I have suspension mocked into it. Also the engine is going together too...

Russell, thanks again, it gave me an idea of what it'd look like before adding flares and not look right. Now it actually looks pretty good and covers the Pie Crust slicks that will be under it!!!!

Also forgot to give a bit of back story on this, at one of our club meetings one of the guys brought in a bunch of parts that he wanted to get rid of for free. I saw the Vette and snatched it up, after I got to looking at it I knew what I wanted to do..... A day or two after I started kutting on this and adding the roof a good friend of mine, Frank emailed me and showed a new project he started... It was the 63 Mako Shark with the 63 split window roof on it..... I just emailed him back with one word and a photo of my car you see here..... I just wrote..... Really????

After that he pulled the roof and put it on a 62 Vette which looks good too...

Thanks Andy and Jim, working on the engine to frame right now. Gotta cut clearance for the fuel pump...

I've been off work all week so I've had a chance to sit and build for awhile. After this week it'll taper off again but!!!....