Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beemax Audi Quattro

martinfan5

6 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

While I can appreciate the detail that they put in these cars, they are ugly as all hell ... The Chevy Cruz was cool, but these are a little too over-the-top for me ....

Group B Rally was very much over-the-top in every manner. Most of the entrants were 4WD and there were no power regulations so things like this Audi were incredibly lightweight cars with tremendous HP to weight ratios.  The S1 was over 500HP on just over a ton of car that would go 0-60 in 3 seconds...in 1985. They needed all the spoilers and whatnot to try to generate enough downforce to keep the cars on the track, and ultimately the cars were too fast to be safely driven and a number of fatal accidents doomed Group B after only 2 1/2 seasons.

Edited by niteowl7710

15 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Group B Rally was very much over-the-top in every manner. Most of the entrants were 4WD and there were no power regulations so things like this Audi were incredibly lightweight cars with tremendous HP to weight ratios.  The S1 was over 500HP on just over a ton of car that would go 0-60 in 3 seconds...in 1985. They needed all the spoilers and whatnot to try to generate enough downforce to keep the cars on the track, and ultimately the cars were too fast to safely driven and a number of fatal accidents doomed Group B after only 2 1/2 seasons.

Very well said! Yes this car was boxy and not aesthetically pleasing, but it was definitely a monster. Also, the inline 5 cylinder turbo sounds amazing.

Edited by Turberticus

• 2 weeks later...

We had a Sales Manager for Audi live a few doors away in the day when the first one of this model Audi came into the UK (the road version).

So I had a chance to drive it!

Then as a rally/race marshall I saw the standard length Audi Quattro and this short Sport version on the RAC rallies in the UK, before they banned Group 2 cars altogether!

• 2 months later...

Still waiting for delivery.....

So who said rally cars needed to be pretty?   The round-round race cars can be, since you have to sit and watch them go round and round.  It's different to be a rally spectator, you see them for just a few seconds.  Watch how crazy some spectators are at this race!

Received mine today!  I'll do a quick comparison to the Profil24 resin kit:

I got the photo-etch parts at a IPMS contest last week. There are some obvious differences, will need to compare to photos to see how inaccurate the resin kit is. I got the guillotine window detail for the Profil because they only supply a decal for that, the Beemax is molded in.  I also got the Renaissance wheel/tires because a proper rally car has treaded tires!  The Beemax seats look better (how accurate I don't know).  Dashboard looks a lot different.  The chassis pans are really different, and it does not look like they plan to have an engine option, and there is no radiator pipe like the Profil.  There is a separate exhaust pipe (when you watch videos, why is there waste gate flames under the car?).  The Beemax body has an obvious flash line on the C-pillar, but that should be an easy fix.  The hoods are very different.  The decals seem to be comparable, will need to study more to determine who wins.  The Beemax lights are so much better, difference is day and night!

I'm planning to get the Bobby Unser decals to do his Pikes Peak Hillclimb car.

IMG_8619_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8620_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8621_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8622_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8623_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8624_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8625_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8626_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8627_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8628_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8629_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8630_Fotor.jpg

On 11/9/2018 at 1:15 PM, 935k3 said:

Builders take note the missing tobacco markings are in the detail set.

Thanks for pointing this out!  I opened it this morning, and sure enough ... this is the equivalent of Wehrmacht models with Swastikas, the manufacturers have a technical go-around by breaking the logos apart, requiring assembly.  The package says "... including photo etched parts, cloth seat belt webbing and more."  The decal is behind the p-e upside-down.  Am I going to get banned from this forum for daring to post cigarette logos?  :o 

IMG_8632_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8633_Fotor.jpg

Well this is the great dilemma of the hobby revisiting the 70s-90s in auto racing. EVERYTHING was sponsored by eeeeeeeevil tobacco and alcohol at that point. The next reissue coming from Beemax is another '84/'85 Celica Rally kit that has not one, but TWO tobacco livery choices (Belga & Marlboro).

The great irony of the "Vice Ban" in models is the people it was designed to "protect" are now in their 40s and want to build more models of things with verboten sponsorship liveries.

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thanks for pointing this out!  I opened it this morning, and sure enough ... this is the equivalent of Wehrmacht models with Swastikas, the manufacturers have a technical go-around by breaking the logos apart, requiring assembly.  The package says "... including photo etched parts, cloth seat belt webbing and more."  The decal is behind the p-e upside-down.  Am I going to get banned from this forum for daring to post cigarette logos?  :o 

IMG_8632_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8633_Fotor.jpg

The upside down decals were also done with the M3 Rally kit that was Bastos sponsored. The words are half upside down and chopped in half and the decal sheet is in the P/E backwards so it can't be seen through the packaging.

Shows how little I know, since it's a European brand, was not familiar with the logo.  If I wanted to get a pack to display at contests, it might cost more than the model!

220px-Honda_NSR250_1996.jpg

The Honda NSR250 of Ralf Waldmann, used in the 1996 season

HB sponsored the Audi Sport Rally team in the 1984 World Rally Championship. This continued until the 1987 World Rally Championship. [...]

I've been considering doing Bobby Unser's Pikes Peak Hillclimb car, since there are decals already.  But now this for a tease: Walter Röhrl Pikes Peak Climb Hill Race 1987 by Reji Model.

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=52108&language=en&utm_source=notifications_xsell&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=c13669&utm_content=52108

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 9:39 AM, niteowl7710 said:

. . . and ultimately the cars were too fast to be safely driven and a number of fatal accidents doomed Group B after only 2 1/2 seasons.

Yes, Group B was insane. . . however it was around for 4 full seasons with competition between 1982-1986 (it was the 86 season that ultimately led to the ban of the classification)

I for one cannot wait to get this kit as well as Group B, as tragic as it is, holds some of my favorite rally cars ever.  Until fairly recently tho, only other Group B cars I've ever found was the Lancia 037

@89AKurt I know its "only" been a month since you posted the comparison shots, but would you recommend the Beemax kit over the other one? (I ask because the Beemax is the first one I found online and am looking at getting in the near future . . and I'm not the biggest fan of resin as the other kit is)

1 hour ago, Ensis Ferrae said:

Yes, Group B was insane. . . however it was around for 4 full seasons with competition between 1982-1986 (it was the 86 season that ultimately led to the ban of the classification)

I for one cannot wait to get this kit as well as Group B, as tragic as it is, holds some of my favorite rally cars ever.  Until fairly recently tho, only other Group B cars I've ever found was the Lancia 037

I guess I should have been more specific that the insanity "era" was only 2.5 seasons.

Beemax also makes kits of the Nissan 240RS & TA64 Toyota Celica which are both Gr. B cars. Belkits makes a kit  (two different ones, the only difference being liveries all the parts are in both) of the Gr. B Opel Manta. 

Beemax of course has the Lancia Delta S4 coming this month and Porsche 911 SC/RS, and Belkits have the Rover 6R4 and Ford RS200 coming, so Gr B. is finally getting some love outside of resin garage items 30 some odd years later.

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Beemax also makes kits of the Nissan 240RS & TA64 Toyota Celica which are both Gr. B cars. Belkits makes a kit  (two different ones, the only difference being liveries all the parts are in both) of the Gr. B Opel Manta. 

Beemax of course has the Lancia Delta S4 coming this month and Porsche 911 SC/RS, and Belkits have the Rover 6R4 and Ford RS200 coming, so Gr B. is finally getting some love outside of resin garage items 30 some odd years later.

this is excellent news (to me. . . dunno how many other people were aware) so thank you for that much :D

7 hours ago, Ensis Ferrae said:

[...]

@89AKurt I know its "only" been a month since you posted the comparison shots, but would you recommend the Beemax kit over the other one? (I ask because the Beemax is the first one I found online and am looking at getting in the near future . . and I'm not the biggest fan of resin as the other kit is)

There are several threads about this car, so will simply post a link to show the comparison.  If you don't like working with cottage industry resin models, then the Beemax is the best choice.  There is no engine, so if I was ambitious would copy the engine bay and make a resin copy.