Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project "cruster" 71 Plymouth Duster

exesivefire

So I have been bouncing this idea around in my head for a while, and it seemed like a good use for two kits that i otherwise probably would not have used. Those of you that may remember my Krusty Cuda build will get the idea for the name, for everyone else I'll explain as we go along here.

Nascar kit meet Duster, it's almost asking me to do this..

21B9D70B-9B56-4565-91FE-9EAB57745888_zps

first step, cut this stuff out, it's going to be in the way.

0678BB1F-23B7-418C-9149-01741BEB22E9_zps

Need to do a little trimming 

19302D5B-AA52-4D28-883B-BE07EA2EB74B_zps

0500FEC4-C734-4FBE-8BF1-09DA74E08921_zps

and some more..

ED6F6738-69F7-4E84-BF7E-ABFDC97AADA0_zps

Like it was meant to go there...

8421731E-FAE1-46A2-B353-DA0250F2D281_zps

and some major trimming on the wheel openings 

5A35CC9E-3DB4-45D2-ABF2-4129141DDF7F_zps

B1E146EE-D372-4745-98BD-89F8FBD25583_zps

My original plan was to use some sort of bolt on flare, but with how that is looking so far I am not so sure anymore. I also haven't nailed down a power plant but I'm considering a viper v10 with individual throttle bodies, or maybe a hemi, even a modern one could work.. also not sure those will be the wheels and tires I use but I do like them.. 

what is for sure is I'm going for a weekend racer type, not going to be pretty, just pretty mean. Probably lime green, but of the neglected sort. 

Edited by exesivefire

Started today's bench session working on fiddly bits that don't really show anything, mainly tweaking the firewall and adding tabs to the back of the chassis to ensure some sort of positive fitment between the body and chassis assembly. A little time now will save a bunch of headache later and ensure not only do I have a spot to actually glue the two parts together, but they will go back in the same spot every time.

then I opened the front wheel openings a little more so I could put a larger tire up there that matched the rear, instead of that super thin Pegasus tire I had in earlier mock-ups.

Then I wasted a LOT of time trying different centers in these wheel rings I made, only to end back up with the ones I started with. Oh well at least I know now.

Next I spent some time modifying the door panels to match the new floor, I think I have it worked out that I can attach the panels and the dash to the body before inserting the chassis. This should actually help during assembly as I have seen during the several times I have assembled and pulled this apart already.

Super happy with the stance, It is awkward and awesome all at the same time, debating if I am going to throw the stock bumper on the front with some sort of spoiler or just make something. Time will tell, winging it has worked so far. I know I will regret saying this, but so far this car has wanted to happen, it is almost scary.

Wow, what a great looking build. Your thoughts on the fender flares, maybe just a very slight lip around the openings just enough to give them a little more finished look. The front spoiler with a stock bumper that is pulled close to the body would look very tough. Like the deep set wheels and the fairly stock looking interior.   

Always fun to watch how these projects progress. As far as power, what about the experimental OHC Hemi's that came in one of the older Roadrunner kits. (I think)

that's a possibility I have that kit here.. although I'm not sure the engine is still in it... I do need to think of something, the viper engine has been ruled out. It's just too big.

that's a possibility I have that kit here.. although I'm not sure the engine is still in it... I do need to think of something, the viper engine has been ruled out. It's just too big.

If you mean the pro street Super Bee,I may still have the engine if you don't.