Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford Pickup Bare-Metal Bobber

DSCF5243_Red_Ball_web.jpg
’34 Ford Bare-Metal Bobber

This was built for the Traditional Rods and Kustoms in Scale AMT/Lindberg ’34 Ford pickup CBP (TRaK: http://trakinscale.proboards.com/ ). It’s a prime example of what Tim Boyd calls “extreme kitbashing”. In fact the only part on the car from the AMT ’34 Ford Pickup kit is the grill shell and grill – and even that got chopped. But the resin body I used is based on that kit so the members graciously let me participate. It’s a pretty radical channeled fenderless “bobber” dropped on a heavily modified ’37 Ford truck chassis with Buick Nailhead power. The bed is a shortened Revell “rat rod” ’29 Ford piece, also channeled over the z’d frame. The bare-metal finish was achieved by rubbing the Duplicolor metallic Silver paint with Kosutte Ginsang metalizing powder.

Below are the details of the kits used and more photos.

Thanx for lookin’
B.

AMT/Lindberg ’34 Ford Pickup Kit: Grill shell and grill (chopped)
Basic Body: Resin chopped ’34 Ford pickup cab by Ed Fluck at Drag City Casting (lowcab36@epix.net, Tel. 570-289-4345).
Other Aftermarket Parts: 8” Dirt track rear tires, Buick Nailhead accessory drive, oil pan and transmission by Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland (replmincomd@aol.com, (410) 768-3648). Pre-wired distributor by Morgan Auto Detail (http://www.madmodeling.com) AMT ’34 Ford Pickup kit: Grill shell and grill (chopped).
Revell/Monogram ’37 Ford Panel Delivery kit: Chassis (narrowed, shortened) front axle, steering tie rod, wishbones (split), front shocks, brakes.
Revell ’32 Ford Sedan kit: Fuel Tank (modified), firewall (modified), rear suspension, driveshaft, radiator, tail lights and license plate bracket, headlights, dashboard, steering wheel and column.
Revell/Monogram ’29 Ford “Rat Rod” Roadster Pickup kit: Pickup bed (shortened), front transverse leaf spring.
AMT ‘39/’40 Ford Tudor Sedan kit: Intake manifold, carburetors, exhaust manifolds, fan belt and generator.
AMT ’36 Ford Coupe kit: Wide-5 wheels and front tires.
Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit: Buick Nailhead engine block, heads, valve covers.
Scratchbuilt items: Decals, floor pan and transmission cover, mufflers and tailpipes, window glass, pickup bed floor.
Paints & finishes: Basic body color: Duplicolor Metallic Silver. Bare-metal effect done with Kosutte Ginsang metallizing powder. Accent color (interior, engine block and heads, rear axle, wheels) Duplicolor Dark Toreador Red Metallic.. Miscellaneous parts finished in various shades of Testors Metalizer.

DSCF5252_web.jpg
DSCF5248_web.jpg
DSCF5245_web.jpg
DSCF5239_web.jpg
DSCF5236_web.jpg
DSCF5218_web.jpg
Cutaway_Layers_web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I was going for that hot-rod vibe so I think switching to the bare-metal look (I had started with a plain silver gloss paint job with a red accent stripe around the belt line) was the way to go. This was super-fun to do, although my hobby room looks like a bomb hit it right now with all the half-open boxes spread around! It's definitely clean-up time before I start my next project!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Great looking little truck, with a LOT of personality. The slightly exaggerated proportions are just right, not cartoonish, and exactly in line with the "bobber" theme. Love the metal finish too. I'll be re-reading your build thread again to understand the process. Very nicely done, sir.  :D

Thanks to you both! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Bill, I certainly was trying to create an aggressive look so I'm glad it came across. Sometimes our intentions in building these things don't quite make it to the final product... :P

Regarding the bare metal finish, there's really not much to it. The Kosutte Ginsang product is very strong and immediate in effect and seems to "metalize" just about any finish you put it on, even clear plastic. It's not very subtle and, if you make a second application it begins to darken and cover anything underneath it - the red stripe that I had put around the beltline immediately began to disappear on the first coat so I had to apply second coat in that area to disappear it completely. As you can it covers pretty thoroughly. On the other hand I find it does a very poor job of simulating chrome and long ago gave up considering it for that purpose.

Thanks, Tom! The ghost cutaways are always fun to do, 'though not always possible. It depends on the type of car and whether I can photograph it in fairly complete form before I glue it all together. Hot rods and races cars are the most straightforward.

Sweet looking truck bernard!!!

Vince

Vince, I hope you get a "quote" notice 'cause you know I couldn't have done it without you! ;)B) Sorry I didn't acknowledge earlier....

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...