Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930's Delahaye 105 and 135 duo

stitchdup

This is being built from the heller kit. It's currently stalled but still near the top of the pile. I got as far as giving it a bit of a chop, and laid the grille back a little. At the rear I considered replacing the trunk area with the one from a 40 ford, but on a whim I tried the spare wheel carrier from a 42 ford woody and it looked like a good fit, custom but not overly so so it retains some of it's original character while looking a bit more sleek. For wheels I will be using the lindberg chrysler concept rims with some aoshima tyres narrowed to fit. The engine is going to be a nissan skyline straight 6 with the turbo and 4x4 stuff removed and possibly some modified carbs. I made up a sorta fantasy independent rear from some parts box bits and then hit a block on the front end. I want to have an inboard suspension but there are so many different set ups for them I got myself stuck on which to use, lol. The first pic is the stock mock up with the wheels I will be using, though they now have much lower profile tyres.

DSC02131_zps4afh1vzx.jpg

DSC02163_zpsas5rggdd.jpg

DSC02182_zpsbzvlesyn.jpg

DSC02160_zps2t55vmv4.jpg

DSC02161_zps6w9zddni.jpg

DSC02162_zpshljlghwi.jpg

Edited by stitchdup
title updated

Aoshima also did some much more detailed modern Nissan engines. Sold out most places, but I sure would like to find that RB26DETT. Would look great in that. And if you lose interest, I know someone that has a lot of interest in it already!

Aoshima also did some much more detailed modern Nissan engines. Sold out most places, but I sure would like to find that RB26DETT. Would look great in that. And if you lose interest, I know someone that has a lot of interest in it already!

I have the fujimi retro set, but I didn't realise there was an aoshima set too. The engine I'm using is from the tamiya r32 nismo which is pretty easy to find

• 1 year later...

Pulled this back onto the bench, and expanded the build a little by adding a matching hauler to it. I started the hauler with the heller fire truck kit, but have used a 50 ford cab instead of the open one on the original. For the engine I plan to use a datsun 240z engine to sorta keep it inline with the car. The rear suspension is from a revell 32 and the front will be a mash up between the kit axle and some more 32 parts. The wheels are from a maisto diecast. The decking is coffee stirrers.

DSC03980.JPG

DSC03958.JPG

DSC03963.JPG

DSC03964.JPG

DSC03967.JPG

DSC03968.JPG

DSC03970.JPG

DSC03973.JPG

DSC03979.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit of body work. I couldn't get the chassis low enough so i've printed out one for a slammed pick up and will cut it up to fit. Because i got ditched the chassis it left me with an issue of how to mount the fenders as they mount on the chassis. To sort this i took some inspiration from the figoni and falaschi pre war cars and now it has fenders that will mount to the body. Theres 2 weeks work in the fenders and there are 3 open ribs running the length of the main body. I might add some chrome trim to these to make them stand out. I have the same detail on the centre console

DSC09014.JPG

DSC09015.JPG

DSC09016.JPG

DSC09011.JPG

DSC09012.JPG

DSC09013.JPG

I think I need to cut the roof and make it easier to work on the interior. I'll probably do a split front screen too so I'll do it before i cut the roof. I may make it a removable hardtop as the interior ties in with the running board detail and it will allow me to add another detail I think will work to tie it all together. I have some guide headlights i rescaled in the printer so I think I'm going to use one as the gauge cluster, which will blend the centre console to the dash nicely and tie in with the front lights. I'm tempted to try opening the doors for the first time too but we'll see how i feel when i get to that stage

Edited by stitchdup

Loads more bodywork done even thoug it looks about the same. I chucked a quick coat of gold on it to see where it needed work and its getting closer. Then that idea about cutting the roof off just wouldn't go away. I decided against the split window just to keep something off the original shape to it. The cut is a little rough as the saw wandered into one f the cuts from the original chop but it'll be an easy fix. Ater cutting the roof off, the back was barely holding its shape so I added the inner fenders and rear fenders to the body for strength. I've also filled the rear window because it was too low to the decklid area to remove.DSC09034.thumb.JPG.168ed05cce4ebd535c6cb5f9e65c898d.JPGDSC09036.thumb.JPG.86a6ba4cab8db91cfb89ef7c586245e2.JPG

DSC09035.JPG

DSC09037.JPG

DSC09038.JPG

DSC09039.JPG

DSC09032.JPG

I've been starting to think about the suspension for this. I want to stay independant on all 4 corners but i dont want anything too fussy looking. While looking for inspiration I came across troy trepanier's 36 ford

https://radrides.com/builds/1936-ford/

I dont know much about how it was done as i cant find any build pics but it looks to be jaguar independant based, but with drum brakes instead of the discs. While i have some jag axles that would work, they jus wouldn't be custom enough and after seeing troy's set up I've decided to modify a quick change axle into a jaguar style independant unit. I'll probably be basing the front suspension of troy's design too as the mounts for it can also be supports for th front mounted blower. I think modifying the quick change will keep the theme of the build better than using a stock part would.