Model Cars Magazine Forum

'75 Dodge Tradesman Custom Van

Got a new project started that I'm pretty excited about. I love custom 70's vans and felt it was goofy I didn't have one on the shelf. What's a bit unique about this build is that I wont be painting it. A friend of mine does some insane airbrushed murals on models and is going to be painting this one up for me. His work is impressive enough that I really wanted a piece of his artwork for my own. So while he'll be painting the body, I'll be doing everything else on it. And, because he's waiting on me, it was time to pick a canvas. I decided to go with the old MPC Truckin' USA Dodge Tradesman. It's a full-sized body so he'll have plenty of room to put murals on it and it's loaded with all of that 70's custom awesomeness that I can use for this build. 

So, let's get started! I've gotta get this body whipped into shape, in primer, and ready for my buddy to paint it.

IMG 0765

Next up, I had a nice little chip taken out of the drip rail. Who knows what happened inside that box. 40 years is a long time!

IMG 0766

First step was to square it up

IMG 0782

Then I glued in a small piece of .020" sheet styrene

IMG 0785

After some sanding, it was like it never happened.

IMG 0786

Now to deal with the mess that is the provisions for the sunroof. I've dealt with these in the past and after sanding the exterior surface smooth, it can sometimes become so thin that you will actually sand through these and then you have a real mess on your hands. So I learned from experience to always fill in the channel from the backside with styrene and glue, that way, if you sand through, there's still some material holding everything together and it's much easier to repair. So, I always start by filling them in from the backside first.

IMG 0779

IMG 0780

I glued some .030" styrene square strip into the channel

IMG 0815

Once that was done, then I could flip it back over and sand the roof out smooth. Luckily, I was able to achieve that before sanding through! But...you never know. Lol

IMG 0822

With that behind me, it was time to start smoothing out the passenger side of the body. 

IMG 0767

First, we lost the "Tradesman" badge from the door and the lower belt line trim

IMG 0816

Followed by the upper trim

IMG 0821

And that's as far as we made it today. Stay tuned...

Will be watching this one Greg! I loved custom vans as a kid and had the Revell Chevrolet "Mean Mudder" van with the motorcycle. I re-acquired that kit last year (for a decent price at that)  and am looking forward to building it in the future. You're doing an awesome job prepping this one so far.

BTW..................what ever happened to that 54 Chevy Panel Wagon you were working on?

Good thing this is a family friendly forum. Pretty sure there are plenty of jokes that could come from that line.

Van is going to look great with a big mural on it. 

Lol! Leave it to you!

Will be watching this one Greg! I loved custom vans as a kid and had the Revell Chevrolet "Mean Mudder" van with the motorcycle. I re-acquired that kit last year (for a decent price at that)  and am looking forward to building it in the future. You're doing an awesome job prepping this one so far.

BTW..................what ever happened to that 54 Chevy Panel Wagon you were working on?

Thank you! If you look through the pictures, you can see it photobombing the van in the background. Lol. I've got plans to get back to it here pretty soon. Too much work in it to leave it alone for too long. 

I was about to reach for the primer when I hesitated. I just kinda felt like something was missing. Then it dawned on me. This badboy needs a sunroof! Not the goofy completely open top like MPC had envisioned but a regular sunroof. A sunroof on a custom 70's van is every bit as important as sidepipes, white-lettered tires, and Aerosmith 8-tracks! So, I got started. In addition to MPC having the van set up to cut the roof completely off above the cabin, there were also provisions to have an entire glass center section run the length of the whole roof. It worked out perfectly as this piece is the perfect width for my sunroof!

IMG 0861

IMG 0862

I used masking tape to determine my hole. 

IMG 0863

I then used a pencil and made cut lines inside the tape line, then removed the tape.

IMG 0864

Then...

Edited by Greg Pugh

...I took a big deep breath and went to work! Lol. This is what we ended up with!

IMG 0865

Then I cut the glass to fit.

IMG 0866

And voila! Even though I do intend to try and figure out a way to have it in the open position, it was still important to me that I had a nice fit.

IMG 0868