Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next from Moebius - How about a 70 F-100 4x4 and a 65-66 F-100

SteveG

Yes, the wait for the 4x4 version is almost over.  I have a '70 long bed on the workbench as a I write this.  Photos of the 4x4 parts will be forthcoming, I'm waiting for Fotki to get back on line. Box art is already in the works.  Also we're also getting a 65-66 F-100 based on the on the current kit. Dave got the go ahead just last weekend and I saw the 3D artwork at the NNL East.  Test shots of the 65-66 kit may be ready by late this summer.  Along with the short and long bed stylesides, we'll be getting a stepside for first time.  

-Steve

Yes, the wait for the 4x4 version is almost over.  I have a '70 long bed on the workbench as a I write this.  Photos of the 4x4 parts will be forthcoming, I'm waiting for Fotki to get back on line. Box art is already in the works.  Also we're also getting a 65-66 F-100 based on the on the current kit. Dave got the go ahead just last weekend and I saw the 3D artwork at the NNL East.  Test shots of the 65-66 kit may be ready by late this summer.  Along with the short and long bed stylesides, we'll be getting a stepside for first time.  

-Steve

Great news, I've been waiting since day one for the 4x4 versions.

Steve, about the '65-'66 model, is that the model with the '50's style bed? 

Great news, I've been waiting since day one for the 4x4 versions.

Steve, about the '65-'66 model, is that the model with the '50's style bed? 

The Flareside (stepside) beds are basically the same from 53-72 so they will work on the current Moebius F-100 trucks too.  The 65-66 Fleetside beds are unique to that model.  According to Dave we'll be getting both styles.

-Steve  

While I'm not much of a pickup truck builder, I'm thinkin' that we really need a couple of Dodge pickup truck kits, even repops of the MPC Dodge truck kits seem like they would be welcomed.

I agree, we need some more Dodge trucks, 1960's would be great....

Great news,  been waiting a long time for the '65-'66 Ford 8' styleside, as well as the divorced cab design that will be necessary, a big improvement in build possibilities over the old one piece '61-'63 unibody kit. The '65-'66 frame is practically indentical to the '67-'72 frame. Needless to say, I will be purchasing several. 

Edited by leafsprings

Hopefully they will offer both the long and short wheel base / pickup box versions.  Actually, it is pretty easy to make a 6' box version from and 8' box version, but much harder and more expensive (2 kits required) to make an 8' version from 6' version.

A.J.

Great news,  been waiting a long time for the '65-'66 Ford 8' styleside, as well as the divorced cab design that will be necessary, a big improvement in build possibilities over the old one piece '61-'63 unibody kit...

As AMT captured beautifully the shape of the '61-'63 cab and body, I hope it will serve as inspiration in the development of the new kit. They also did a great job on the 73-79 cab, aside from windshield height, with proper roof crown and lower bodyside curve-under (tumblehome, in stylist's parlance). The styling of the 69-72 F100 kit unfortunately did not incorporate those cues, though they are very close on the 1:1 trucks.

mike

-Steve

Steve, any chance you have the pictures of this new kit to share? I'm guessing that if you are working on a box art model, then we should be seeing this kit late summer/early Fall?

Love the idea of the '65-'66 Fords. Some of the best looking trucks around. 

I agree, the 50's-60's Dodge trucks would be an awesome and untapped market too. Those trucks were so different looking they were neat. 

Just make sure the castings are cooled off before tossing em in the box though :)

Steve, any chance you have the pictures of this new kit to share? I'm guessing that if you are working on a box art model, then we should be seeing this kit late summer/early Fall?

Sure do, here's a quick mock up photo ..... Not sure of the release date yet.  

704x401-vi.jpg

And some of the new parts.  Keep in mind that some of these parts being shown are intended for other versions other then this one.  These are test shot parts and not necessarily the final version.

52515374372507-vi.jpg

10515374450779-vi.jpg

The trees in the lower picture are all new parts including the frame .....   As I make progress I'll post more photos.

Steve

I built up the 4 x 4 chassis back during early development of the kit.  But it was a fast glue up, no paint to check fit and finish. And we couldn't show at the time.  Buy up this version so the other versions they want to do will come to be. The 4 x 4 stuff is very nice BTW.

The important thing is to do your research, whatever style you're building. The 4x4 parts represent only the F100 suspension but with the F250 hubcaps supplied or other appropriate wheels it will make a decent shelf model of an F250. Of course, the suspension could be made more realistic for an F250 with front leaf springs.

mike 

I agree completely, I've wanted a kit maker to put some more aggressive tires in the old 4x4 theme kits

example:

IMG_0132.JPG

Danny at Scenes Unlimited has those tires in his line, he is currently working on the molds to get them back in stock. I intend to use them on several builds I have going. He will have them in 15 and 16.5 inch sizes.