Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Firebird 400 Re-Build

HNTR

A while back I bought a built 1973 Firebird from Ebay. I have been looking for one for a long time and could not find any that were in my price range so I decided to do a rebuild of this one. Obviously it was built a LONG time ago. I stripped paint with oven cleaner and started fixing the body. I decided I wanted all the spoilers on it so I used the ones in the newly released '79 T/A kit. I always liked this car because of the lack of a front bumper (STYLE) and while doing the body work I decided to get rid of the rear bumper also. So I gave it a roll pan. I had to sand out alot of glue on the body, especially on the hood intakes. It seemed like I would never finish the sanding process. I found myself sanding too much in some areas and had to fill those along with getting rid of the bumps and swirl marks. Primed and sanded and primed and sanded and primed and sanded!!!! FINALLY got some paint on this beast!!!!! I put some Inca Gold on it for and underlying base color. This is NOT the final color but just another step. I would like to have this and my '74T/A completed before the fall Detroit Area Modelers Show because it is a 50th Anniversary for Camaro and T/A's theme.I hope you all enjoy, thanks for letting me be a part of the group!!

ORIGINAL KIT

That is looking real good, Mark. I recently found a '73 Formula promo on eBay so I'll be doing something similar but as a curbside.  Your build is definitely giving me some inspiration!

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

I wish I'd seen this while you were doing body work, the shape of the upper "beak" on the front bumper could have been corrected then.

FYI, the license plate on these bodies folded down to get to the fuel filler.

Maybe adding a round cap like vettes had but use a firebird instead of bow ties...

I wish I'd seen this while you were doing body work, the shape of the upper "beak" on the front bumper could have been corrected then.

Maybe adding a round cap like vettes had but use a firebird instead of bow ties...

I know what you are saying about the front end, but I really liked it this way. This is a custom build car and I am trying to put a twist on every part and piece. Those front wheel spoilers are not supposed to be curved out like they are either, but I love it. Thats why I also shaved the handles and smoothed the fender lights, or reflectors.Have you ever watched "Bitchin rides" where they put the fuel cap behind the tail light, lol?? I absolutely love the feedback and keep it coming, just think more custom. I have alot more surprises in store for this one. I really do appreciate your feedback and thanks for the compliments also.

I forgot to say. My mom had one and promised it to me when I got my license but got screwed and my sister got it. White one too!!

bummer on losing the bird to your sister.

I was in a Pontiac car club in the 80's, we put on "All Pontiac Day" in Fountain Hills AZ for a couple years.

I had a 68 bird, picks are posted in the 1:1 rides thread (way back in the thread), but sold it after I got my 67 Tempest running and painted.

Wish I could have kept them.  :(