Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Build 1957 Ford Del Rio Station Wagon Finished !

Metalmad

Thank You Jeff ! This has been a slow build but I'm plugging away at her so I have a small update which is I have cut out a hole in the hood so the air cleaner could see a little day light so now I have a few small areas on the hood to repair then I'm hoping to get some color on the body.

Small update :

Was able to shoot some paint this weekend and it was my first attempt at a two tone paint job so first up was shooting the entire wagon with a metallic silver then I taped it off where the chrome trim ran done the sides then I shot the nail polish. I've got to let this cure for a couple of days then I will shoot the entire body with a few coats of clear.I'm also going to attempt to shoot the inside of the chrome trim that runs done the sides with black to break up the two tone paint.

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

I had found a little time this evening  after work to tape off the chrome trim so I could shoot some black paint in between the chrome trim on both sides of the Wagon so the next step will be to shoot a few coats of clear to finish up the body.

IMG_0945.JPG

Thank You James, Dennis & David !

Yes the two tone paint job and the black inset in the chrome trim was a bit challenging with having to tape it off so I used the Tamiya 5mm masking tape for curves and it worked out great as you can see in the photo so if you are willing to have a little patience it will come out just fine.

Edited by Metalmad

Well finally after testing out a few different clear coats  that I picked up from my local auto paint store I finally shot some clear on the Ranch Wagon today and I'm impressed with the results which the pictures really do not show how much it glistens and shines.Next will be to start the  engineering of  the brake system and to start on the engine assembly and to get the high rise intake manifold in some chrome paint.

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Well today after a little bit of thinking I decided to add a headliner too the wagon which was pretty easy after I ran a few ideas through my head. I looked through my model supplies and I came across a piece of black fabric which is like a sticker so all I had to do was make a template of the inner roof line and I also had to make room for the windows so they would still fit correctly and then just transfer the template to the material and cut out the headliner then I installed it so here it is. 

IMG_1018.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Started on the brake system today and I will be using Detail Master 11inch drilled rotors on the front and rear so I have started scratch building the brake calipers since I do not have any in the parts box that will work well with the brake rotors.So I will attempt to scratch build a set of Brembo  brake calipers for the front and rear so this what I have made to start with so for.

fullsizeoutput_52d.jpeg

Edited by Metalmad