Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO (DONE)

FabbricaP

Great looking GTO, very nice work. I have this kit and some of the detail parts, including the HRM engine kit. I am afraid to get started on it, which means I will sit on it forever probably :)

Some of the photo etch and machined parts I had ordered from Strada before he decided  to take the money and run. So, I never got the wire wheels, the carb stacks or the exhaust tips. Maybe that's why mine sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Truly one of the greatest Ferrari racers, classic style that never goes out of style.

Keep up the great work and I'll be checking back.

Just a small update. Here's my attempt at building the leather hood straps. I used real leather, wire and spare PE parts.

jywkkPX.jpg

Gary- Thanks for the tip! I wanted to make this a 'fantasy' build and I liked the look of the no. 25 and no. 7 roundel decals the best. I probably will only be using the roundels from the decal set. The no. 25 set was actually for a series II '64 GTO.

Bill - sorry to hear about that. The amount of after market parts available for this already nice kit makes this a really enjoyable build.

Thanks for looking in.

While waiting for the body to completely dry I started in on the trim pieces.

Fitting the HD PE rims on the head light covers was a bit tricky but they look great once completed. The four rivets add a nice and very realistic touch.

7RFkm2Q.jpg

7MSbsY8.jpg

Mocked up the covers with the head lights.

p0Mdnpg.jpg

k8ESzs9.jpg

I used clear sheet styrene to make the side windows. The kit side windows look too thick and I wanted an opening to view the interior.

Cut-up kit front/side window piece.

FS2K3yl.jpg

mdiDQVm.jpg

Thanks!

Polished the body and got the decals on. Roundel decals were slightly too large and a little transparent but i’m happy with the result. I hope the clear coat goes on without any problems and also hides some of the mistakes with the decals :rolleyes:. Thanks for looking

rPp7rBl.jpg

NcwyVu5.jpg

H7fZWCX.jpg

0UdJnSN.jpg

Very nice Jason  !!

may I ask how you achieved the decal cut at panel/door lines,...?

re; was the decal still wet, or....

Thank you Bruce. I cut the decals at the panel lines when they were semi dry. After applying decals I dried them out a bit with a hair dryer and then carefully made the cuts. 

It would be a shame to cover up that chassis & engine!

looks great.

i was thinking exactly that! i think i wud personally finish the body and place it next to the chassis, do i dare say it, best build ive seen so far in terms of details and attention to these details.......

This build sparked the 250GTO part of my heart again, looks like ill need to buy one in the future (after ive finished all the kits ive currently got sitting on the shelf! Due to it all being "low" prices you end up buying lots everytime and when u add it all up it still becomes alot of money :rolleyes:)

Cant wait to see this thing finished! 

Nearing completion. Got the body clear coated, polished and then painted the inside Tamiya flat black and titanium silver. Assembled all of the lights, wipers etc and attached the windows and window trim PE parts. Hopefully I can finish this over the weekend! Thanks

i61OG59.jpgno81l3h.jpg

uXeeKbt.jpg

EUOWA6p.jpg

Edited by FabbricaP

I just wanted to make an observation about what, to my eyes, makes this project special. While the efforts to take the build beyond the level of "merely" building the kit to the maximum that it has to offer is completely successful (and remarkable), at its heart the project is an exploration and appreciation of what the kit designers had to offer for what will, in the end, be an extraordinary model. The last two photos show what I'm referring to. All the small details, fabrications, and enhancements key off the core model with the goal to amplify the impact, accuracy and realism of the final result. What a pleasure to watch this come together! 

i61OG59.jpg

EUOWA6p.jpg

Got some more pieces attached to the body. Also assembled the door/trunk handles and hood handles. Hopefully I'll finally be able to finish this tomorrow. 

BTW, does anyone know if the front circular vents and/or the side vents have any mesh on the inside on real GTO's? Thanks.

fPPHMAn.jpg

GcB2CAg.jpg

eseKhk0.jpg