Model Cars Magazine Forum

Palmer 70 Mustang The

vamach1

Picked this up on Ebay for $21.  It's an interesting hard to find unbuilt kit that has would need some serious modification to make it into a decent replica of a Boss or Mach1.  I am going to try and rework the nose a little but will not spend hours on a kit that has a place in model history but is just a sloppy attempt at even being close the MPC and AMT offerings in that era.  The red one is a MPC built up I picked up somewhere along the way.

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

To be honest, I don't really understand why you would go to the trouble of trying to fix this Palmer kit.  I may be just a fun exercise to see what you can achieve but otherwise it's only real value is in the box art!

Having said that, I'll keep watching to see how you get on...  it could be an interesting journey!

Tony

To be honest, I don't really understand why you would go to the trouble of trying to fix this Palmer kit.  I may be just a fun exercise to see what you can achieve but otherwise it's only real value is in the box art!

Having said that, I'll keep watching to see how you get on...  it could be an interesting journey!

Tony

I was surprised it was not as bad as I expected aside from these major flaws.  Of course the chassis is lame too but that goodness it is not as bad as the multi-piece ones.  I guess I was just up for a challenge.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:53 PM, retriever said:

Tony

It just got interesting.  I'll call this one the barn find and swap meet parts special.  This car sat for decades as a collector slowly gathered parts at swap meets and replaced damaged and rusted out fenders, etc.. I plan to add some Boss & Mach1 decals, a mismatch of tires and wheels, and the under side and interior will be weathered.  Right now the paint is to bright so I have to do some smudging, sanding, and dull coating.  So instead of fixing the kit, I may end up spending more time than trying to make it box stock.  Any suggestions are welcome as this is unchartered terrority for me modeling wise.

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

Edited by vamach1

You're certainly doing a fine job at making a decent model out of this Palmer kit.  What's the chances you could substitute a Monogram '70 front end instead of trying to make the Palmer one look decent?  Otherwise it looks a lot better than a lot of other Palmer issues.  (Although I notice the Palmer is a 1/25 scale and the Monogram is 1/24..... so maybe that's not an option)

Tony

Getting close to completion.  Just need to find some stock exhaust manifolds , decals,  a mirror and finish it up.  I must say it has been fun not worrying about a smudge here and overspray there.  So far I have only substituted the steering wheel, distributor and tires.

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

Edited by vamach1