Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Buick GS 455 Stage 1

Kmb0319

This started out as a nostalgia build, as I built this model when I was in high school and wanted to do it again.  Also, I don't have any Buicks in my collection, and this was the ultimate muscle Buick, so it was perfect.  (it will be alone until someone releases the boat tail Riviera)

I didn't want to do the GSX... first of all, I'm not a fan of yellow.  Second, while the graphics and rear spoiler don't look bad, they are a little ostentatious for a Buick, so I wanted to build a Stage 1 that also fit the brand.  In doing a little research, the photos that stood out to me the most were the cars in Turquoise,  so I decided to do that.  The only worry was that I had Testors Model Master Turquoise, which was a good match, but was an enamel.  I've had a few problems with enamel finishes myself, but read lots of nightmare stories that have kept me away from using the stuff.  

Like any other enamel finish, the paint was a little thicker and thus went on heavier than I preferred, but I didn't have any major issues.  Once on, I was a little frustrated at a few dust particles settling in, but had to live with them, as my experience with enamel is that it can't take wet-sanding.  However, after letting it sit on the desk for a good three weeks, it was finally gassed out.  Instead of trying to polish with sanding pads, I just grabbed the rubbing compound, and BAM....  it buffed out to a nice looking finish before I even added clear.  Once a few coats of clear were added, I was amazed... I ended up getting one of the best finishes I've ever gotten.

I wired the engine and added a few hoses here and there, but there wasn't much else to do with this kit, as it's pretty strong as-is.  I made seatbelts, but only in back, as most pictures showed the fronts retracted below the sides of the front seats.  I also raised the rear, as the biggest drawback of this model I have seen is the rear end drooping and the tires sitting too far inside the fenders.  Finally, a set of Fireball Modelworks tire decals finished her off.  This was just one of those builds where most everything went right.  It started out as just a fun build of something I first did 30 years ago, and ended up being something that will have a place of honor on the shelf.  Hope you like it.  Thanks for looking!

IMG_0600.jpg.d7356ff6857b8825749c9e27c39ebcef.jpg

Interior:

IMG_0565.jpg.863dc9dee8467c538aaef3e97e972901.jpg

455:

IMG_0593.jpg.74dacec746689f4e38de00ac8c7dbae3.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg.1c7471ffa5eb2eebe2b661cb17f6d6b3.jpg

Had to get a couple reflection shots to show the paint on this, inside at night and in the sun:

IMG_0596.jpg.55e6b4a176774bcefb6eba01b6f2792c.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg.db024e192d8bfff20a84510fcea860de.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg.fc220e885b243068fa23b6a32ca6e0de.jpg

11 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Very, very nice. I too like the "regular" GS to the GSX. Much cleaner. Muscle with Buick dignity. Speaking quietly, with a big stick. Buick GS with the Stage 1 package. All one needs. 

I totally agree!  Very well done model.

19 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

This started out as a nostalgia build, as I built this model when I was in high school and wanted to do it again.  Also, I don't have any Buicks in my collection, and this was the ultimate muscle Buick, so it was perfect.  (it will be alone until someone releases the boat tail Riviera)

I didn't want to do the GSX... first of all, I'm not a fan of yellow.  Second, while the graphics and rear spoiler don't look bad, they are a little ostentatious for a Buick, so I wanted to build a Stage 1 that also fit the brand.  In doing a little research, the photos that stood out to me the most were the cars in Turquoise,  so I decided to do that.  The only worry was that I had Testors Model Master Turquoise, which was a good match, but was an enamel.  I've had a few problems with enamel finishes myself, but read lots of nightmare stories that have kept me away from using the stuff.  

Like any other enamel finish, the paint was a little thicker and thus went on heavier than I preferred, but I didn't have any major issues.  Once on, I was a little frustrated at a few dust particles settling in, but had to live with them, as my experience with enamel is that it can't take wet-sanding.  However, after letting it sit on the desk for a good three weeks, it was finally gassed out.  Instead of trying to polish with sanding pads, I just grabbed the rubbing compound, and BAM....  it buffed out to a nice looking finish before I even added clear.  Once a few coats of clear were added, I was amazed... I ended up getting one of the best finishes I've ever gotten.

I wired the engine and added a few hoses here and there, but there wasn't much else to do with this kit, as it's pretty strong as-is.  I made seatbelts, but only in back, as most pictures showed the fronts retracted below the sides of the front seats.  I also raised the rear, as the biggest drawback of this model I have seen is the rear end drooping and the tires sitting too far inside the fenders.  Finally, a set of Fireball Modelworks tire decals finished her off.  This was just one of those builds where most everything went right.  It started out as just a fun build of something I first did 30 years ago, and ended up being something that will have a place of honor on the shelf.  Hope you like it.  Thanks for looking!

IMG_0600.jpg.d7356ff6857b8825749c9e27c39ebcef.jpg

Interior:

IMG_0565.jpg.863dc9dee8467c538aaef3e97e972901.jpg

455:

IMG_0593.jpg.74dacec746689f4e38de00ac8c7dbae3.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg.1c7471ffa5eb2eebe2b661cb17f6d6b3.jpg

Had to get a couple reflection shots to show the paint on this, inside at night and in the sun:

IMG_0596.jpg.55e6b4a176774bcefb6eba01b6f2792c.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg.db024e192d8bfff20a84510fcea860de.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg.fc220e885b243068fa23b6a32ca6e0de.jpg

Very nice ! I am doing one as well. Have done all the Stage I and Stage II decals. They will be available soon.

Alan