Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got a matched set. Bye, bye gas station.

Scott Colmer

We leased one of these...

2v2uNYcLqxv9MWC.jpgHosted on Fotki

To go with these... There is another bank around the corner. 

2v2uNYwt5xv9MWC.jpgHosted on Fotki

We leased the car because we feel that the technology and cost will vastly improve by the time the lease runs out. We bought the panels (on payments) because they will last at least 25 years. We work at the same place, so our fuel bill should drop dramatically.

Oh, the car is pretty quick. The irony that it is a cloudy day is not lost on me.

Edited by Scott Colmer

13 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

They are very quick off the line. That potential 1/4 mile speed is interesting because most of our high school hot rods ran in the 15s.  I'll bet there is a hack to unlock the speed limiter.

Give it time, there will likely be one before too long. The Chrysler 200  in my avitar pic is one of the cars that left Sterling Heights with the 3.6l/6speed auto combo from the vans and Journey and it's the same with those. The cars solid 14 second cars on regular and MT got 13.99 on E85 with their '11 test car, that's Fox Body/3rd and early 4th Gen F-Body territory! They're also limited to 120mph (that one still is), but they can be unlocked with programmers and run upwards of 155mph!

For the longest time, I thought electric cars or hybrids were ridiculous. I mean, look at a Prius. Yes, it's fuel efficient, but they started with a car already fuel efficient, like a Corolla, and made it even more efficient. But for $10k more. Why not focus the energy (see what I did there) on things that need it...like trucks and SUVs. 

And for the most part I still feel that way.

However, I changed my opinion a couple of years ago. My company had a couple of Chevrolet Volts, and I spent a month with one. And if I was buying a small car to commute in, I'd totally go for one.

So I picked the car up and the fuel tank was empty. Great. I filled it up, cost be about $20CDN. Don't even get me started on the price of fuel around here.

My daily commute is about 70km return, include a little running around at lunch time and whatnot. The Volt's electric range is 60-70km.

On most days, I could drive to work and get home without the gas engine kicking in. We could go and bomb around o nthe weekend, and do 3/4 of our driving in pure electric. And this was in summer, with the AC on.

Also, I don;t believe in hyper-miling. I drove that car like I would drive a normal car. No babying the gas pedal, no coasting up to stop lights, driving at 120kmh on the highway, and not keeping it at 95kmh.

When I was done, about 3-4 weeks later,  I filled the tank, and put in only $3.

And there was not a perceptible shift on my home power bill. And if I recall, I mentioned this in another thread a couple of months back, and people lost their collective minds saying that was impossible. All I can tell you is that in looking at our end of month piower bills from June through September, the month of Volt was in line with the other months.

Overall, it was comfortable, fast, fun to drive, was roomy enough for the family, could hold stuff, and I thought it was a good looking car.

As soon as a decent hybrid/electric powertrain is available in a truck/SUV that fits our lifestyle, I'm in.

And I'd love to outfit the house with solar. The idea of going off-grid totally appeals to me.

17 hours ago, espo said:

I'm glad to see that you're using Solar Panels. I just don't understand peoples thought process when they buy an Electric Car and then plug it into the wall to get their "Fuel" that comes from a Coal Power plant.  

EXACTLY.   :D 

Good looking little car, Scott, and I highly approve of your use of solar to charge it. That's the only way electric vehicles really make sense.

What percentage of your transportation energy do you estimate you're getting from the PV installation?   

My oh-so-techno-savvy neighbor was stranded for two days, after the power went down during the snow storm at the beginning of his recharge cycle. 

I just waved as I went by in my ancient gas hog pickup.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

21 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

We leased one of these...

2v2uNYcLqxv9MWC.jpgHosted on Fotki

To go with these... There is another bank around the corner. 

2v2uNYwt5xv9MWC.jpgHosted on Fotki

We leased the car because we feel that the technology and cost will vastly improve by the time the lease runs out. We bought the panels (on payments) because they will last at least 25 years. We work at the same place, so our fuel bill should drop dramatically.

Oh, the car is pretty quick. The irony that it is a cloudy day is not lost on me.

Saw lots of solar panels when were in Maui last year.

Hey ACE,

It's too early to tell, the additional usage on the EV. We are estimating a 100+ per mo fuel saving. We got the panels because we run AC and pool over the summer. The total yearly panels payments were less that the total yearly Edison Eletric payments. So it made sense to buy them. Also its easier to sell the house if the is not some panel contract attached. 

I get you about loosing power and getting stranded. We are looking at a house battery. But the tech seems to be not quite there yet. Until then we still have a dino-burner on hand.