Model Cars Magazine Forum

Greer Black Prudhomme FED miniscule update New Years Day

I love vintage drag. I love building vintage drag car models. It takes me back to my youth, going to New England Dragway in Epping, NH and smelling the burning nitro and burning rubber. I don't usually try to build replicas but I'm making an exception here. I think the GBP dragster is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. To that end, here's the beginnings of my attempt to replicate that car in 1/25th scale. The basis for the build will be the 'HemiSphere' issue of the venerable AMT Don Garlits Wynnsjammer car. The 392 Hemi is from the Revell Miss Deal Studebaker kit, rear wheels and tires from the Revell Tony Nancy 22 Jr. kit. The decals are from Fremont Racing while the distinctive scoop is from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland. The body will need some modifications, adding the scoops on the ear sides as well as fabricating the 'snake head' front end. This won't be 100% accurate, but close enough for racing....and yes I know I could buy a diecast of this car for $100.00 but where's the fun in that????  Here's the pile o parts.... -RRR

IMG_2553.JPG

gbp01.jpg

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

I think each era has its best appearing dragster.

From the early sixties, Greer, Black and Prudhomme was the class of the field.

Late front engine cars- around 1969- Keeling and Clayton California Charger

Early Rear Engined cars- either Keeling and Clayton or Rupp and Dakin

Later Rear engined cars- Suggestions?

It will be great watching you do a replica build. You came mighty close (certainly in spirit) with the belly tanker. Don't forget to do something about the distinctive laid-back Garlits style roll hoop so it's more vertical and Kent Fuller-ish. Otherwise that chassis is about as nice as they come for this type of build. Even the wheelbase is is in the ballpark! Can't wait to see more. And best wishes to you and yours this holiday season and a happy 2018!

1 hour ago, RAT-T said:

GREAT PICS WAYNE, WOULD YOU KNOW WHO'S CAR IS IN THE FOREGROUND OF THIS PIC?  I'VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE

Tom, the car in foreground is Mickey Thompson’s driven by Jack Chrisman. It was powered by 2 BOP 215 cu.in. aluminum engines from the ‘61-‘63 midsize Tempest/F-85/Skylark.( I think 1 Pontiac and 1 Buick) The blocks were similar but the heads were different. The Buick version later became the Rover V-8.( as well as the basis for a M/T Indy car and  Jack Brabham’s Repco F-1 winner.)

Sorry RRR, I don’t mean to step all over your build thread, but I’m a little OCD over this era of diggers.

Edited by doggie427

26 minutes ago, doggie427 said:

Tom, the car in foreground is Mickey Thompson’s driven by Jack Chrisman. It was powered by 2 BOP 215 cu.in. aluminum engines from the ‘61-‘63 midsize Tempest/F-85/Skylark.( I think 1 Pontiac and 1 Buick) The blocks were similar but the heads were different. The Buick version later became the Rover V-8.( as well as the basis for a M/T Indy car and  Jack Brabham’s Repco F-1 winner.)

Sorry RRR, I don’t mean to step all over your build thread, but I’m a little OCD over this era of diggers.

THANKS WAYNE, SORRY FOR THE OT INTERRUPTION RRR

On 12/26/2017 at 7:18 AM, doggie427 said:

The MT car appears to have some type of blower in the front of the car driven off the crankshaft of the front motor.  It looks like the blower then feeds both engines via some ductwork over the top of the engines.  Mickey Thompson was nothing if not creative!!

13 hours ago, sflam123 said:

The MT car appears to have some type of blower in the front of the car driven off the crankshaft of the front motor.  It looks like the blower then feeds both engines via some ductwork over the top of the engines.  Mickey Thompson was nothing if not creative!!

Nye-Frank ‘Quincy Auto’ (early version of Freight Train) had a similar setup

95F7B216-CF90-4A31-AE37-2BDC706B93EE.jpeg

I haven't done much actual work on this thing, a lot of thinking, measuring, cogitating and whatnot during the holidays.... IMG_2604.thumb.JPG.97395d05d5a5102ddd958083ac4f0382.JPG

I did decide where I'm going to make cuts on the body. I'm going to cut off the back section (over the drive compartment) and open up the driver compartment cover. This will allow me to attached the body underside before painting and will get it all smoothed over. I can then insert the frame into that section in final assembly. The axle/differential will be glued to the frame prior to paint and the axle ends that protrude beyond the edge of the frame will be sheared off (thus allowing the frame to be slipped into the body) and the remaining pieces of the axles will be attached to the wheel hubs and glued in once the frame is settled in the body. There are some positive attach points on the bottom of the frame to mate to the body. Will work out nicely. 

IMG_2607.thumb.JPG.30780472c2b1428c0915d541052ced81.JPG

This is the seat I will be using (out of some other dragster kit) which mimics the 1:1 pretty well with the upholstery surround over the body. Obviously,the body panel behind will be filled in. The body will also be receiving a new swooped up valance around the front of the engine and the windshield will be cut down and a clear windshield will be added. The body will also be shortened and pinched in the front. More on that later.... 

IMG_2606.thumb.JPG.39f45a9c5b90a8557599aacd05b0beb7.JPG

This is roughly how the seat will fit in the frame.The upper horizontal bar on the frame will be shortened. One section of the frame rails will also be removed, the real car is pretty short! An additional frame support will be added that will be from the roll bar all the way down the front edge of the seat....now If I can just get some bench since the holidaze are over.

It's 2018, y'alll!!!!  -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat