Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Mazda Rx-7

Casey

Anybody (looking at you, Erik Smith :D) have any content pics of the 1/25 AMT Mazda Rx-7 kit(s)? Not expecting much from a kit with a "one piece engine compartment", but I think this is the only 1/25 scale first gen RX-7, and it does have a separate hood, so maybe a halfway decent engine compartment?

e185ce34-078f-4a9b-a465-8490b2a63833.jpg

51ac7cba-a520-44a0-87f0-680f23e83ac9.jpg

amtrx7.jpg

The body looks a bit "stubby" to my eyes, but hard to tell for sure. :unsure:

Mikado version:

s-l1600%2019.jpg

9 hours ago, Casey said:

...and it does have a separate hood, so maybe a halfway decent engine compartment?

Nope.  Engine detail is similar to a low line diecast like a MotorMax, etc.  I got the Mikado version for Christmas from my Grandparents back in the day.  I built it, of course, but it was my least favorite model at the time, between subject matter and the green/yellow color combo.  The graphics probably would have helped lessen the ugly factor, but the rub-on transfers were a non-starter.

All I have left I believe is the wheels and tires (the good old knobby Goodyear Rally GT's).  The rest was sacrificed in an unsuccessful experiment in trying to create a crushed car for a junkyard diorama (couldn't get the effect I wanted).