Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many versions of Revell's Tweedy Pie Tee Bucket are there ?

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

I believe the tires are the biggest difference in the kits but I am not sure that is the only thing.

The Fuel Tank behind the body that came in the Tweedy Pie got replaced with the pick up bed, and to my knowledge, did not come back until the re-issue

Image result for revell tweedy pie

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

The Fuel Tank behind the body that came in the Tweedy Pie got replaced with the pick up bed, and to my knowledge, did not come back until the re-issue

According to Dave Darby over in a similar thread in the Kit Reviews section, the pickup bed was always an option in this kit, it did not replace the fuel tank.

dd.JPG.c34529607d884bcfbc55e230db182421.JPG

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/57648-tweedy-pie-parts/?page=2

This is the only correct version of  Roths Tweedy Pie s-l1600.jpg.848df6ae7558b7d82024d8de7d2d5ee8.jpg

The Correct version of the first Tweedy Pie (built by Bob Johnston not Ed Roth) had a flathead and no pin stripes. Bob later changed out the engine for a Chevy with a single 4 br. and later added a Offenhauser manifold and six Strongbergs. Roth bought the car from Bob reportedly with a $1500. check from Revell. Roth added the pinstripes. 

I know that the Hot Rod, Rodfather, & Amigo Pack versions, all lack the Fuel Tank. I needed the fuel tank for a T.R.o.G. build I'm doing. Searched all of my Revell T-bucket kits(the 3 I listed) and none have the tank parts. I'm still looking for a tank. I'm not sure about the Tweedy II kits.

24 minutes ago, alexis said:

I know that the Hot Rod, Rodfather, & Amigo Pack versions, all lack the Fuel Tank. I needed the fuel tank for a T.R.o.G. build I'm doing. Searched all of my Revell T-bucket kits(the 3 I listed) and none have the tank parts. I'm still looking for a tank. I'm not sure about the Tweedy II kits.

My Tweedy II kit did not have the tank. I may try scratch building one . 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

1 minute ago, Jon Haigwood said:

My Tweedy II kit did not have the tank. I may try scratch building one 

At one point at least, Replicas & Miniatures offered a conversion kit that had all the missing parts from the original Tweedy Pie that were needed to convert one of the later issues into a correct Roth-version Tweedy. The chrome parts weren't plated - you had to send them out yourself. I used it to build this:

Tweedy LR

Tweedy LF

Note that even during the time Roth owned the car he made changes: steering wheel, single to dual headlights, and hubcaps. I built mine as an "early" Roth version.

• Like 1

I think they still list the kit at R&M , I have considered getting it ,not sure about spending $31 then getting it plated. What was the cost on getting this done? Did a version of it have the curved intake like yours . I definitely like that style better. I may go back to my original plan and do the flathead version first  

2 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

I think they still list the kit at R&M , I have considered getting it ,not sure about spending $31 then getting it plated. What was the cost on getting this done? Did a version of it have the curved intake like yours . I definitely like that style better. I may go back to my original plan and do the flathead version first  

Can't remember the cost of plating (I used Chrome Tech) - it wasn't cheap, but at the time (almost 15 years ago maybe?) it was the only viable option for building an original/correct Tweedy Pie, which I was hell-bent on doing. Of course, the R&M stuff is great, but now that Revell has re-issued the kit, that would probably be the easiest and cheapest place to start.

(Keep in mind that I haven't examined the new version, but it looks like it has the original parts, plus a new & improved decal sheet.)

The Rodfather was the first revised reissue of the Tweedy Pie. It was one of several Roth kits that underwent "de-Rothing" after Revell disassociated itself with Big Daddy.

I'm pretty sure the pickup bed was not an option in the original kit, but was tooled for the Rodfather, as Revell had to add some new parts to differentiate the kit from the Roth version. Other new parts would have included the wheels and tires (obviously) and the stock T grill shell. 

The Tweedy Pie-specific parts deleted for the Rodfather and subsequent versions were retooled by Revell and included in the most recent issue of the kit.

14 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Can't remember the cost of plating (I used Chrome Tech) - it wasn't cheap, but at the time (almost 15 years ago maybe?) it was the only viable option for building an original/correct Tweedy Pie, which I was hell-bent on doing. Of course, the R&M stuff is great, but now that Revell has re-issued the kit, that would probably be the easiest and cheapest place to start.

(Keep in mind that I haven't examined the new version, but it looks like it has the original parts, plus a new & improved decal sheet.)

While many of the original kitted version parts of the Tweedy Pie were returned or retooled for the most recent version, not all the parts are there. The R+M conversion kit would still be quite handy, especially for the wheels and tires. I've owned this set twice and sold it off. Wish I still had it.

2vWqEGiMxuy9t.jpg

I own several of the versions shown...the wheels and tires are the major difference between them all, with a few other tweeks.The original Roth kit included options...such as the pick up bed...and cycle style fenders. In subsequent versions the cylindrical gas tank was dropped in favor of the bed, a traditional model T type radiator shell was offered in lieu of the chopped deuce style radiator shell...in addition to traditional T type headlights instead of Dual headlights. Not sure about the nerf bars. The small block chevy stayed the same...but the curved carb stacks gave way to the flared trumpet style intakes. I think the exhaust pipes went through some changes from kit to kit as well. Glad to see Revell restored it close to the original...even though I did invest Norm' s resin restoration kit. If you have collected two or three of these variations you have a lot of options on hand for T-Bucket builds. Now....how about Monograms original 1/24 scale "Little T"...and all its changes...."Boomer Bucket" etc.

Edited by styromaniac