Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1968 Volkswagen Beetle

David G.

7 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I saw this one for the first time a couple of days ago. I felt that it was odd, and something was bugging me about it (the kit, not the build).

I just found out!! Here, there was never a "round" bumper Beetle without the bumperettes and the chrome bars (a là Herbie). Also, the Beetle never had the sealed beam headlights with this bumper. That was making the car to look odd to me. The headlights on the kit only came after the "square" bumper. 

Since it's a German Bug, it's perfectly alright. It was the image of a bug in my mind that was conditioned by what we had here. 

Coming from Revell of Germany, it's a Euro-spec Bug which in my mind explains the bumpers but not the headlights.

If I remember my VW history correctly, the bumper over-riders were on the deluxe version which was the one shipped primarily to the States.

Regarding the headlights, one of the many transitions for this car in 1968 was the change from a 6 to 12 volt electrical system which is when the sealed beam lamps came into use... I think. At least that's what I'm telling myself. ;) 

Additionally, by flattened look of the hubcaps, the wheels on this one are the later era 4-lug when they should probably be the early 5-lug with the  more dome-shaped hubcaps.

To tell you the truth Túlio , I'm actually a bit flattered that you're paying such close attention to my work, thank you.

David G.

16 hours ago, David G. said:

Coming from Revell of Germany, it's a Euro-spec Bug which in my mind explains the bumpers but not the headlights.

If I remember my VW history correctly, the bumper over-riders were on the deluxe version which was the one shipped primarily to the States.

Regarding the headlights, one of the many transitions for this car in 1968 was the change from a 6 to 12 volt electrical system which is when the sealed beam lamps came into use... I think. At least that's what I'm telling myself. ;) 

Additionally, by flattened look of the hubcaps, the wheels on this one are the later era 4-lug when they should probably be the early 5-lug with the  more dome-shaped hubcaps.

To tell you the truth Túlio , I'm actually a bit flattered that you're paying such close attention to my work, thank you.

David G.

That's very interesting. 

I never saw a older Beetle without the deluxe bumpers, at least not a Brazilian made. Nor on the road, or on magazine ads, as I really only read old car magazines. 

Here they went from 6V to 12V in 1970. I know that because VW told us so in all ads of the year. They kept the old style headlights, and the dinamo even with 12V tough. My uncle had a '77 Fusca 1300L (Deluxe 1300cc Beetle) that he used on rainy days, and when he were going to somewhere with bad roads, and he didn't want to use the Maverick, that was his baby. 

That '77 Beetle still had a dinamo. Also had sealed beams, and the square bumpers. The dash had a plastic black cover, and the steering wheel was the same as on the VW Brasilia. Yes, that car had the four lug wheels. Helped my uncle to  replace front wheel bearings on it. The car still had front drum brakes. In 1977. The hubcaps are the same as on your Bug. Here they are called "flying saucers".  Also, our Beetles never had the "big" windows, yours '68 has. 

You do great job, and this Fusca turned out great. You even painted the fender felts. 

I usually look most posts, and if they had a "like" button I would use it, but I avoid posting comments like "Cool", or "Nice build". I prefer to comment when I have something interesting to say. 

US sold VW Bugs were ALL "Deluxe" model. So in the US, they all came with the bumper over-riders until the 1968 model year, when US Bugs got the square bumpers.

I had a 1965 German Delivery Bug. 1200, 6volt generator, glass covered sealed-beam headlamps, 5 on wide 205mm pattern wheels. Had a few details that were not found on US-spec '65 Bugs:

Locking steering column with the key switch on the side of the steering column. US-Spec cars didn't get that until the '68 model year.

Mounts for 3-point seat belts in front and back, but had lap belts only installed. US Bugs got 3-point belts in '67.

When I bought that car in 1973, I had a customer who had a '67 German Delivery Bug. It had the glass-covered headlights like the 6volt Bugs in the US, but with Halogen-type bulbs instead of sealed beam. But this '67 was 12volt like the US '67 Bugs (1st year for 12volt in US Bugs). That Bug was also 1500cc.

I later had a US Spec '67 bug. Mine didn't have mounts for 3-point belts in the back, only lap belts, but it had 3-points in the front seats. 1500cc. It had sealed beam headlights with no glass cover. It also had all-red tail-light lenses, while the German Spec '67 Bug had amber turn indicators in the same tail light housing. I later put the German lenses on my '67 and my '65, and those '65 tail lights with German lenses are still on my '58 Baja Bug. My US '67 Bug also had the ignition switch in the bottom of the dash, same as my '58 and no lock on the steering.

US Bugs got an alternator in 1973, mid-year (IIRC).

On 1/9/2018 at 6:23 AM, TarheelRick said:

I have got to get that kit.  I picked it up and looked at it in A. C. Moore just before Christmas, but didn't buy it.  Hope it is still there when I get back. 

It was still there and now it is not, got it on my shelf.  Now I have the Beetle, Rabbit, Corroda (SP), and a van. Would like to find a model of a Squareback and looking for a reasonably priced Westfalia - I owned a '72.

Edited by TarheelRick

Here are some sunlit photos. A little improvement, but not much.

68_Beetle22.thumb.jpg.fa2dbc06e442b7479858c3ad997f2671.jpg

68_Beetle24.thumb.jpg.fac84f4c490facb00466dfe5fd0a875f.jpg

68_Beetle23.jpg.f6dff74b2c7628960a2f8bb61d15ba42.jpg

68_Beetle25.jpg.bf17ae8fa6d0d15c892a5a2dc0d73538.jpg

Earlier I mentioned my "Outdoor Studio". Well, here it is!

Studio_01.thumb.jpg.db625d9c5750e36fa0c0936ad172040f.jpg

And last but not least- a photo of the Bug on the "Showroom Floor".

20180114_135656.thumb.jpg.91a4ec54db31a5c8611f1305dad05ced.jpg

Thanks,I hope it was worth the trip :) 

David G.

• 2 months later...

I'm a little surprised and a bit happy to see this one float back to the surface again. It was an enjoyable kit to build and I'm mostly pleased with the way it turned out.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments.

David G.

The bits of underpinning that poke out under the sills in front of the back wheels (dunno what they are but they must be there for a reason, they're visible on the real car too, looking unsightly!) are a bit too big and chunky but otherwise brilliant!

Anyone know what they are?

25 minutes ago, DonW said:

The bits of underpinning that poke out under the sills in front of the back wheels (dunno what they are but they must be there for a reason, they're visible on the real car too, looking unsightly!) are a bit too big and chunky but otherwise brilliant!

Anyone know what they are?

Thank you for the comment.

They're jacking points and are located along the center of gravity line. When you change a wheel on these old Bugs, you place the jack in that slot and lift the entire side of the car.

David G.