Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 ford wagon beater

Shawnmcouturier

Keep on keepin' on , Shawn ! 

I started taking my skills a little more seriously when I was your age ( back in 1982 ! ) --- it's all about having fun and experimenting , and it looks like you're on track with that .

P.S. : Jantrix is probably alluding to that salt and its long term effects on plastic :lol: .

It turned out pretty darn cool Shawn, I love it, please keep us posted on your next build. You always get better and learn new stuff with each build and that makes it more enjoyable. Keep at it, you have me beat from my builds when I was your age. Plus it's always cool to see there are younger fellas such as yourself that enjoy building. Great job.B)

14 hours ago, Shawnmcouturier said:

What do you mean by long term?

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

P.S. : Jantrix is probably alluding to that salt and its long term effects on plastic :lol: .

Quite right. Salt is not good for most anything long term, and it's quite obvious there is still quite a lot of it trapped in the paint, on the roof, doors, fenders and tailgate. I have no idea what will happen to the body over time like that. Maybe nothing, maybe it will ruin paint and plastic. I'd scrub the body with a stiff toothbrush and some 70% (or 91% if the paint is thick) Isopropyl alcohol (very cheap at the local drug store). The alcohol with loosen the paint just enough (but not tear it up) to release the salt and give a smooth paint break when it does. 

I give you full credit for trying something like this at age 12, and I've overjoyed to have you in the hobby. The hardest part of successful model building is patience. I know that's a tall order at your age because it still is, at mine. If I can offer any help feel free to shoot me a PM.

Great job. Keep it up and have fun. That's what it's all about! My son just turned 13 and he loves building. I'm going to teach him how to spray paint soon. We love seeing younger builders getting interested in the hobby.

Just don't defect off into military, or ELSE!

Just kidding - enjoy building.