Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mufflers on them noisey 4 bangers ?

20 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I have a friend with a mono-turquoise 40 Ford. It was his dad's hot rod. 80's graphics, Chevy 350, IFS, billet everything, flush tail lights, tweed interior, digital dash. All steel, mechanically sound. He's having a heck of a time selling it. He gets the same line from every prospective buyer. "Just to pull this car out of the 80's would be new paint, chrome, interior, at a minimum. I can offer you $4,000." It's driving him nuts. I keep telling him, that primer and rechroming the grill and bumpers would at least give him a shot, but moneys tight these days.

Tell him just to hang on to it, eventually it will be "vintage".

I think you’re late to the game noticing a trend. Most of the fartcans have already rusted and fell off. Was big thing 20 years ago. Still a few stragglers, just like some dudes still have mullets.

I’ve seen a few of those 80s hot rods too - they look horrible, but some do have decent drivability. Solid white with pink splash? Who would have thought that trend would end?

:D  The young'uns always have to try it out again.  Been going on since the stone ages.  Had to have a fancier club!  The girls would love you if you had the fancier club.  When it comes to cars,  JC Whitney had that "Fancier club"  and made quite a lot of money off of that.  Use to love thumbing through it.  Never bought anything out of it, but I sure knew a lot of kits who did.  Fart cans, coal rollers, jacked up rear ends, CB antennas, low riders all part of the car culture and each looks with disdain on the others .  Like art, cool cars are in the eye of the beholder!

Mufflers are generally one of the cheaper things to change on a car, so of course the kids are going to do it. Once they get a real job they will take them off and put their money towards giant turbos that stick out of the hood.

Every generation has some cheap/obscene mod they like to do. Unfortunately, we have to hear this current trend. It does seem like it is dying down though.

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Modification trends come and go.. stock--either original or restored--never goes out of style...

Amen. I like and value the unrestored originals infinitely more, even if not as "cosmetically perfect" as the fresh restored cars. That being said, the car being factory stock, or restored to replicate factory stock, and free of "updates" I'll dig it for sure. 

9 hours ago, 440 Dakota said:

lets not forget the giant tow hook guys

image-2267696586.jpg

The name "Big Nasty" sure does fit that thing, because I think it's NASTY!! I've got to wonder what he thinks he'd tow with that, because after all it's a Dodge so it doesn't have the power to pull a gnat without blowing up the Cummapart under the hood! :lol:  

Here in the eastern OH, northern WV,  and western PA area, the oilfields are big business around here and almost all of them drive stuff like this and they in my opinion are tasteless. I also think they are trying to compensate for just not being able to play with the big trucks like I have that were the original "coal rollers"! 

f9d1e88942b71ba8fd83ea0ecc9e6eab.jpg.3ada0ad61621e9d68304873d4f6145d5.jpg

One of the favorite trucks I ever drove was a 1974 Western Star wrecker similar to this one. 

413db51925b9d1b94aa0e145f7dedf38.jpg.864d15aa06c63b9b33a087f4f1e5ee37.jpg 

It would roll coal on demand out of the 8 inch straight pipe stacks, and having those nice straight pipes meant everyone could here it coming and did a nice job of setting off car alarms driving it downtown! 

They are all over where I live. Usually old Ford Rangers or S10s. My brother has a 2005 mustang convertable he bought brand new. In the summer he drives it to work. The young guys at where he works are like "why don't you put some killer mufflers on that thing". My brother's response. "Now why would I want to draw attention to myself". He's right. :-)

Edited by ewetwo
spelling error.

I was in high school when the "jacked up" , gasser look started and remember that one day during lunch a prior student who still had a girlfriend attending our school drove up in the front of the school to pick up his girl in his '66 Fairlane complete with a CAE straight axle and elliptical springs in front and a set of Firestone road racing rain tires out back and the car lifted high enough to clear the rear tires. What was the attention getter was when he walked around, opened the passenger door for his girl and dropped out a rope ladder so she could climb in in her mini skirt without flashing every boy who was looking.

On 2018-04-05 at 9:36 AM, 440 Dakota said:

lets not forget the giant tow hook guys

image-2267696586.jpg

I hate when people do stuff like this. It gives all the Diesel truck a bad name when not every Diesel truckload is like this.

I seen a “Tuner” the other day that drove past that sounded like it was fast but it was a rusty old civic with a big exhaust tip and a 50” light bar on the roof that was wider that the car. It really makes a person wonder what on earth they were thinking?

Edited by 426 pack