Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustang Project 1:25 Replica

disconovaman

Well, here's my next Project! I've taken on a build that first seemed pretty simple... build a 90 ish Mustang GT Hatchback for my central air furnace repair guy. Easy enough... I like building 1.1 subjects and this guy digs my work so it's a win win right? 

It wasn't until he texted me pictures when I had a feeling that I'd bit off more than I could chew. I had to wrap my head around the car to use and then finding that kit.  It took awhile to track the kit down, but Thanks to a loyal member here on the fourm I was able to secure a favorable kit. (Thanks so much, Zenon, you're a lifesaver.) Now I can keep my word and build the proper scale replica that I said I could.

I can say that I am out of my lane with this kit but with a little research I've found that two kits will be needed to get accurate results. Any help/suggestions along the way will be greatly appreciated. You folks are good about lending support with tips and ideas. Thanks in advance.

For now the first order of business will be swapping the front bumper/grill and rear bumper and taillight assembly. I think I'll build the notchback (Revell cop car) with GT equipment (phantom?) So I won't ruin a body. It will be fun to build a rough and tough LX with GT parts from the Local junkyard. Kind of a Redneck budget GT wanna-be. A Daily-driver, kind of a Big dreams with empty pockets owner. We all know guys like that. So it will be weathered with multi colored panels, fading, and any thing that says I care but my lack of money and resources are limited.

Speaking of which, do I build the hatchback with weathering (as pictured) or build it as the restored Dream car he wishes it would be? I guess my decision will be made the further I get along with the build. So here goes! Check back for updates. Thanks for looking!

Screenshot_20180430-103937.png

Screenshot_20180430-135450.png

• Like 1

The parts are a decent fit, I'll have to do some trimming and filling. But it will work out I think. The other thing is the side trim is a perfect fit and actually looks good on the notchback. I've desided to build both cars simultaneously. If anyone has any ideas for the color choices on the notchback like mis-matched bodypanels I'm open to ideas. I was thinking as a base maybe the blue on the box with red or burgandy bumpers, white passenger fender, grey fiberglass hood... and yellow where the paint has sun baked off the plastic and weathering (peeling paint) on the metal like that old sealer ford used to use. 

20180430_143918.jpg

31 minutes ago, kelson said:

There is resin cast version already out, he's a member of this forum, I believe Greg Wann is his name, I want to order a couple myself I just keep forgetting.:wacko:

Actually I looked into that and desided that if it were going into my own collection I'd spring for it. The problem is the guy has no idea about the cost or what it takes to build one. He simply wants a model of his real car. So I'm trying to get the best result for the least amount of time and money. Greg and Mike do great resin work and those kits are worth the $40 but if I hit the guy with that price he'd probably tell me to keep it. Lol!

You've probably met people who just don't understand the hobby... It's changed alot over the years. it's not as simple as they think it is... (aftermarket detail companies and resin companies). and this dude isn't any different than the next guy clueless about the details. I'll build this and get the same reaction from him as if I built the resin car because he doesn't know the difference. Lol! 

P8260064_zps2tjyib3s.jpg

I think the idea of building a replica of a car you know. Watching. :)

If you're looking for inspiration in the notchback, a goood friend of mine has this one. Now supercharged, and very not stock. I'm not a Mustang guy myself, but there's something cool about this one.

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, even though both kits are 25th scale the Revell car is slightly bigger... I added the brace between the fenders on the hatchback to push them out for a closer fit. Then I assembled the front ends to the bodies with welders glue. Next I'll be adding filler to merge the panels so they are a closer fit. Probably won't be 100% but... meh. Lol! I try not to take myself to serious. or I'd never finish anything.

On the notch car I was unable to get the smaller GT parts to fit closer so I just "bonked" them onto the body. I'm hoping with a little filler work it'll look better.

I'm thinking I may have a spawn for a resin project if there is a need for a Foxbody GT Notch. They look pretty tough I think.

20180502_120016.jpg

Screenshot_20180502-152736.jpg

Screenshot_20180502-152957.jpg

Screenshot_20180502-153224.png

On 4/30/2018 at 12:01 PM, disconovaman said:

Well, here's my next Project! I've taken on a build that first seemed pretty simple... build a 90 ish Mustang GT Hatchback for my central air furnace repair guy.

Speaking of which, do I build the hatchback with weathering (as pictured) or build it as the restored Dream car he wishes it would be?

Is this a gift or is he a client? 

I've given away 90% of everything I've ever built. I don't put any value on my skills. I'm not the best modeler anyway. 

I packed some filler on so the panels line up better...off to contouring when that dries.  I've got an audience here with Casey cat...

Screenshot_20180504-152725.jpg

Screenshot_20180504-093115.png

Screenshot_20180504-152939.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great Project Anthony!!  And...  I don't know exactly how,    but...  (Ever get that 'being watched' feeling?)

I sense a possible disturbance in the Force, and that an attack of some sort may be imminent...

On 5/4/2018 at 3:19 PM, disconovaman said:

Screenshot_20180504-152939.png

13 minutes ago, DEL said:

sense a possible disturbance in the Force, and that an attack of some sort may be imminent...

Oh she has before..  I gotta keep the lid tight on my glue so when she knocks it over it wont spill.

I'm gettin the hood scoop work done on the black one but I have to admit that I've lost steam on these lately. I've been busy working on the house and yard work. I really need to get back to work on them. Today is a prefect day because it pouring rain.

I did some landscaping, mulching, and treeplanting this past weekend, here is the result.

20180610_141610.jpg

Same thing here on the yard work.  Model building usually slows as the grass on almost six acres needs a perpetual trim in the summer.  Which in Louisiana is like from March to early November.  That plus upper 90's, high humidity and a heat index of over 100 has me retreating more as time goes by. 

Very good of you to build the model as a giveaway. I hope they appreciate the hard work.

I have two cats that like to come up in my most intense moments of modeling, stand up on their hind legs and use my outer thigh as a claw-popping location to demand attention. I never get used to the surprise. :blink:

For me, Summer is the best time to build models but then you have to juggle time between yard work, vacations, and spending time with the family.

I'm working on the replica today... the real Mustang has a sunroof so I'm working on grafting a PT crusier glass. It seems to have the same contours. Would've been nice to have the cutout lines for it, instead it has t-top cutouts. Also doing bodywork and raising the middle of the hood to look like the 1-1/2 inch scoop on the real car. 

Screenshot_20180617-112820.jpg

20180617_112805.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 11/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, Makeout said:

Was it ever finished?

Unfortunately it's among many stalled projects. I was building this for my heat and air guy, and we started having problems with his install, he wouldn't answer our calls, we ended up going with another company to fix it. Luckily it was an easy fix but I lost contact when we moved from the house. I still have plans of finishing it someday.

Oh cool! Thanks for responding! I'm going to attempt the same thing. That, and do my '97 Cobra. My sticking point so far is finding the wheels. Oh yeah- which body is the black one? Is that the '93 Cobra or the AMT kit?

Edited by Makeout