Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg Dodge 330

I was just curious if anybody remembers ever seeing any posts about how inaccurate the body looks on the Lindberg/AMT Dodge 330 kits.

I will admit that I was never really all that interested in this kit, but after getting involved in a discussion about these kits on another forum, it kind of became an interesting topic to me.

After viewing a few side by side photos of the kit and some 1:1 cars I was surprised to see how inaccurate the kit looks.

The body overall appears to be too short in nearly every aspect.

The door & rear quarter as well as both side windows appear to be entirely too short & the c-pillar too long, not to mention that the front fender, or at least the side molding, is obviously completely misshapen.

If I missed the critique of this kit, forgive me, but I find it a little humorous that people are quick to point out the inaccuracies of a kit like the AMT '58 Belvedere kit, but when it comes to a "popular" kit like this one, people are more reluctant to point them out.

I had thought about the possibility of purchasing one of these kits at some point, but after making the comparison to the real car, I can't justify spending the money on one.

To the builders of the kits pictured, forgive me for stealing your images. :P

Steve

2v2Jk49e5xwUbWP.jpg2v2Jk49kNxwUbWP.jpg2v2JkLbJExwUbWP.jpg2v2JkLb1ExwUbWP.jpg     

1 minute ago, SfanGoch said:

You forgot to mention the weird slope of the rear deck.

That's one that I had not seen, but then again, I don't have one in hand to look over completely, and at this point, I can't see wasting the time to do so.

I fail to see how this kit could ever be corrected without completely rebuilding the body.

I'm thankful now that I have one of the Johan '64 Dodges! ;)

Steve

I'd never heard or noticed this, but looking at the first two pics you posted, first thing that jumped right out at me was the shape of the rear side window is wrong. 

I now see the other points you're talking about, too. 

Yeah, it is pretty awful, but like most Mopar guys, we only see what it represents and what used to be.

The '64 Dodge is very high on my "what I would buy if I won the Lottery" list, and the odds of winning that are slim, so I'll settle for the inaccuracies of the Lindberg kit. ;)

26 minutes ago, restoman said:

Yeah, it is pretty awful, but like most Mopar guys, we only see what it represents and what used to be.

The '64 Dodge is very high on my "what I would buy if I won the Lottery" list, and the odds of winning that are slim, so I'll settle for the inaccuracies of the Lindberg kit. ;)

I'm a bit like you when it comes to subjects I'm interested in like the AMT '58 Belvedere.

I'm willing to live with the inaccuracies.

I just think it's a little weird that a lot of the same people who would rant about how horrible the '58 Plymouth is are curiously silent when it comes to a kit like this, which in my opinion, is much worse than the Belvedere.

A bit of a case of blissful ignorance I guess.

The '64 330 kit has been around for a long time & I don't recall ever hearing any criticism of it.

As I said, I have not paid much attention to subjects involving this kit due to low interest, but I sure don't remember hearing anything.

Steve

3 minutes ago, Xingu said:

Has there ever been a scale model made the someone didn't find fault with?

I agree Michael, but I just looked back & read through an entire 4 page thread bashing the '58 Plymouth.

I have seen nothing about this kit, & it's easily just as bad or worse.

Maybe it's just a case of the people who were interested in the '58 being a little more finicky, or maybe people just did not notice the issues with the Dodge.

While I find that a little difficult to believe after seeing the really bad trim on the front fender for the first time, I suppose it's possible.

But It just seems a little odd that some kits don't seem to get the same scrutiny as others.

Steve

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

Looks like it has the same sloping trim as the '58 or maybe the air shocks are a little low.

Has there ever been a scale model made the someone didn't find fault with?

There probably are; but, with no nits to pick, what's the use in talking about them? :D 

I just bought half a case of those for the slant sixes, which are the best one ever done in 1/25.

Note that the chassis is a good replacement for the old Johan slabs.

I hadn't noticed the body, really hadn't looked at this kit very well.  I have a couple of the old Johan version somewhere. I'll have to pull them out for a looksee.

You might want to check under Car Kit News/Review section as this was talked about there not to long ago. The general consensus was that the Body Side Trim going from rear to front goes up hill starting at the door when the 1:1 stays at a more level travel. The "C" Pillar is a little oversized being to wide viewed from the side. The "C" Pillar might be more trouble than it's worth to repair. The Chrome Trim cold be removed and use some Plasatruct used to create new moldings.   

The first time that I saw one built, I really didn't pay a lot of attention, but I thought it looked a bit dumpy and stodgy.

I just thought that it was probably due to the fact that it was a sedan version.

Just recently I saw a build of one & really got an eye full of that front quarter trim.

Next I decided to look at some 1:1 photos & I was thoroughly surprised that it was actually a pretty long & sleek looking car for being a 2 door sedan!

Completely unlike the short stumpy looking thing that Lindberg produced!

Steve

2 hours ago, espo said:

You might want to check under Car Kit News/Review section as this was talked about there not to long ago. The general consensus was that the Body Side Trim going from rear to front goes up hill starting at the door when the 1:1 stays at a more level travel. The "C" Pillar is a little oversized being to wide viewed from the side. The "C" Pillar might be more trouble than it's worth to repair. The Chrome Trim cold be removed and use some Plasatruct used to create new moldings.   

I did do a search there to see if there were any reviews of this kit, but I must have missed the thread that you mention.

The more I look at this kit, the more I see that looks off.

Not only is the front fender trim & c-pillar wonky, but I still believe that every other body panel on the car looks too short, except possibly the hood & front fenders.

Steve

It's amazing what some of us see and some of us don't. For example, I simply can't take the front end of the Revell '67 Camaro or the back end of their '69 Nova, and think their '67 Vette roadster is a complete backbirth, but others don't see the problems and go on and build nice models out of them. And I'm sure I've built models (and will build more) that have built-in flaws that render them completely unacceptable to others. 

Ah shucks oh well. Whatcha gonna do? As always, we have three choices: Fix it; Ignore/Live with it; throw it back in the box and hope that something better will come down the road eventually. :wacko:

IMO,,,, No model kit is perfect. Someone can find fault in ANY kit.

To me the biggest issue this kit has is the cowl area at the base of the windshield is bowed up to much.

Otherwise I personally don't see much issue with it. I look in my display case and see a decent representation of a 1964 Dodge 2 door sedan . And for that I call it good