Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '70-1/2 Camaro

NOBLNG

I wasn't really keen on buying this kit...but I had a coupon.:wacko: I figured it would give me something to do in between spurts on another project. I think this has to be one of the poorer kits I have acquired! There is a lot of heavy flash on most parts. The wheels in particular were difficult to clean up. The only chrome parts are the grill, bumpers and shifter, no chrome rims, no chrome engine bay goodies. Also the plastic in this kit seems closer to polypropylene than styrene? It has the consistency of a water bottle lid, and I can easily dent it with my fingernail. The nicest part of this kit I think are the tires.

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3676.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

Sorry to hear of your problems with this kit. I have the same kit but it is done in the standard white plastic, other than a little flash here and there everything seems fine. One thing I noticed was your box doesn't seem to say it is cast in the orange plastic. When this kit was reissued a few years ago I know that it was offered in both white and orange plastic. The kits with the orange plastic stated as such on the box. I avoided these since I didn't want to deal with the issues sometimes encountered in painting colored plastic. My point is it possible that the orange plastic compound is some how different, and why wasn't the fact that the plastic is orange but not stated on the box ? Just an FYI on the wheel trim you mentioned. Having owned these wheels in 1:1 scale I may be able to offer a little insight into their appearance.   The trim rings were a brushed aluminum finish and not chrome like. If you look closely at the outer edge of the wheels you will notice what looks like a light ridge running around the outer edge. This would have been part of the painted wheel. The trim ring was about 2 plus inches wide and sat down into a grove in the wheel. The rest of the surface is the wheel and it is designed to look like a mag wheel. If it should matter, the wheels on the factory Z-28 package at that time were painted a dark gray with chrome lug nuts and they were also offered on Chevelle SS as an option. In later years, around '77 they were offered again as part of the Z-28 package but were then painted the same color as the body. These wheels were also offered as an option on some El Caminos and the GMC counterpart.   This kit may take a little extra effort but I have seen many here who have built some great looking models from this kit.

I've bought two or three of these over the years just to use a coupon but have never built one. I do know that at least one is molded in orange because I opened it up to see if an old non-RS AMT grille/bumper can be made to work with it (it looks do-able). 

I also bought a couple of the B-M 454 kits, molded in dark green. I have started on one of those. The plastic seems fine, and polishes up to a nice shine. Biggest flaw is the "dent" along the top of the passenger side front fender, where it meets the hood. Not sure yet how I'm gonna deal with that. 

• 4 weeks later...

While the kits carburetor resembles a Holly carb. the float bowls are wrong for a double pumper. If you're going to have an air cleaner nobody is going to be able to see anyway and that goes for what ever they were thinking with the carb. openings also. The Orange plastic bit, I was at H.L. today and they had a shelf full of this kit. I turned the box over and over trying to read what all they had to say about the features and sure enough in small print on a side panel they mentioned that it was molded in Orange plastic. As for chrome parts they only other thing they might have done was the valve covers. The 1:1 had semi shinny polished aluminum valve covers so even if they had given you chrome covers it would have been wrong. All that aside it really depends on how you want it to look and what you're trying to represent with your build. I think your engine looks great so far.

Thanks for the replies. From googling images, I see the large round hole on the carb is not close to realistic, and the carb seems to be mounted backwards (keyed mounting hole). It will have an air cleaner so not too visible. I just figured I would detail it for practice purposes. I am not trying to be factory correct. I pretty much build all my models as if I was building up a 1:1 project car for my own use and enjoyment, including small modifications.

Actually that carb is supposed to be a Holley three barrel carb, the secondary is a single throat .

Used only for a few years by Holley and the performance industry if I am correct in that assumption.  The bowls are wrong they should be the center hung bowls . Hope this helps

Michael

004.jpg

001.jpg

Thanks for the info Michael, I have already made into a double pumper...sort of.:unsure:

Plug wires and vacuum hose are 30AWG wire wrapping wire. Fuel line is 24gage artistic wire. The fuel filter is a chunk of clear sprue and the wire looms I made from a beer can.:D

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG
change pic

10 hours ago, hvymtl said:

Actually that carb is supposed to be a Holley three barrel carb, the secondary is a single throat .

Used only for a few years by Holley and the performance industry if I am correct in that assumption.  The bowls are wrong they should be the center hung bowls . Hope this helps

Michael

I was just rereading some old model car mags and the reviews of the Z/28 and Baldwin-Motion Camaros at the time sort of hinted that somewhere along the line, the carbs got switched between the two.

Your engine is really coming together. The wiring and plumbing look perfect. I like your resourcefulness of materials on the plug wire holders. You seldom see the plug wires routed correctly like you have done.  

39 minutes ago, espo said:

Your engine is really coming together. The wiring and plumbing look perfect. I like your resourcefulness of materials on the plug wire holders. You seldom see the plug wires routed correctly like you have done.  

Thanks! I got heck on my first attempt at wiring for not routing them correctly :P, so I thought I would step up my game a notch.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:59 AM, NOBLNG said:

Thanks! I got heck on my first attempt at wiring for not routing them correctly :P, so I thought I would step up my game a notch.

Better yet, they're BLACK, glorious black, not blue, red, yellow, or some other jivetime non-factory color. B)

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The spark plug boots and the hose connections on the fuel filter are 1/16 shrink tube. I find that by stretching it as it is heated it will pull down to a lot smaller diameter than by using just heat alone.

• 6 months later...

Getting a little more done on this one. Interior is done. Rims and tires painted. I found a tip on another website on how to do the lettering. Just rolling the side of the tip of this pen across the lettering worked amazingly well! Pardon the color scheme, nothing is factory on this one.:lol:

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

On 6/20/2018 at 8:34 AM, Snake45 said:

I was just rereading some old model car mags and the reviews of the Z/28 and Baldwin-Motion Camaros at the time sort of hinted that somewhere along the line, the carbs got switched between the two.

Richard is exactly right.  The three barrel was on the real Baldwin Motion, and you can find the correct 1/1 scale Z-28 carb in the Baldwin Motion kit. 

These two kits were introduced not long after the RC Champion layoff of the AMT-Ertl model development staff and in my mind this incorrect carb switcharoo was symptomatic of the product errors that followed that decision, which only increased in frequency of occurence and severity until the Round 2 era began.  .Good luck with your build.  

If you have a stash of the other Model Car Magazine, there are how-to/buildup articles on this kit both as a late 1970 1/2 Z-28 (with 1/1 scale late availability paint and front/rear spoiler changes) and later as a 1970 1/2 SS396.  I think both magazine issues are still available in their back issue dept.   

Good luck with your build....lookin' good so far!  

TIM  

Well, I'll tell ya, I think your project is very cool and well done. I'm for the most part alone here, but, to my tastes, the 70 to 73(?) Camaro body style looks racier than the 1969 , which everyone seems to feel is the eptome.  My wife has always told me that SHE wants a '69 Camaro, and I found a super clean '70-'71 Z-28 in a used car lot, but she didn't want it. So I told her "good luck with that", being as how expensive finding a good '69 can be. I like this next-gen style....next time I see one, I think I'll buy it for ME!

I have this exact kit ( in orange )in my wall of unbuilt car kits....seeing this post has renewed my interest in building it.

I've got two coats on this one now. I wet sanded after the first coat and this is after wet sanding the second coat with 3m Trizact 3000 grit. I get quite a bit of orange peel which I attribute to my minimal airbrush experience.  I've sanded through slightly on a couple edges and probably should do another complete coat but I may just try a touch up before clear coating it. Comments welcome, thanks for lookin.

Greg

IMG_5681.JPG

IMG_5678.JPG

IMG_5602.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG