Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby/ Michaels ?

just show them the phone coupon, deduction!  Then I pass the phone to my wife for the next item...BAM 40 more off. The ladies in line are looking at me like I am some sort of guru!  They must mark-up their products upward of 60-80% to be able to sell at 40% off!l

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

When I lived in Colorado Springs (97-02) and the Denver area (02-08) I used to go to Colpars all the time...was my favorite shop.  There was one way up in Greeley I'd go to a couple times a year. 

you would drive all the way from the springs to go to colpar?  OMG!  and I complain about traffic now!  The traffic between C.S. and Denver is a freaking nightmare!  Last summer I was coming back from camping, traffic hit at 645pm on Sunday, took the better part of two hours to get to my side of Denver.  

5 minutes ago, cobramike said:

Too bad that we are so freaking far from Colpar, like you said...sitting in traffic just to pay high prices sucks.  But they are a great store.  Have you been to the new "Caboose hobby store" in Lakewood?  Lordy be, that place makes me...well you get the picture, or maybe better if you didn't!
Were is the new HL located Mike? 
Never been to hobby hut, don't get over to Junction much till the peaches come in. 

colpar is now in Aurora, Havana and Jewel. from me it's crazy to get there.

6 minutes ago, cobramike said:

you would drive all the way from the springs to go to colpar?  OMG!  and I complain about traffic now!  The traffic between C.S. and Denver is a freaking nightmare!  Last summer I was coming back from camping, traffic hit at 645pm on Sunday, took the better part of two hours to get to my side of Denver.  

When I lived in the Springs, I was always going to Denver for one thing or another...to use the airport, visit friends up there, go to Tattered Cover, go to LoDo....  In 2002 I was commuting daily from the Springs to the Denver Tech Center for work for a couple months,  part of why I moved up there.. (I moved to Greenwood Village).   I still miss the Front Range, planning to visit some friends this fall out there..

Edited by Rob Hall

smart move!   I can't believe that there are so many people living in Castle Rock, Monument, and the Springs that commute every day to Denver area compared to when you were living here.
you probably wouldn't even recognize LODO now!  Union Station has changed the whole thing! Amazing what has happened. Wife and I take the train from Westminster station at least once a week to go to that area for breakfast, lunch, dinner, baseball (UGH) and of course people watching!!! Not necessarily in that order.  

3 minutes ago, cobramike said:

smart move!   I can't believe that there are so many people living in Castle Rock, Monument, and the Springs that commute every day to Denver area compared to when you were living here.
you probably wouldn't even recognize LODO now!  Union Station has changed the whole thing! Amazing what has happened. Wife and I take the train from Westminster station at least once a week to go to that area for breakfast, lunch, dinner, baseball (UGH) and of course people watching!!! Not necessarily in that order.  

I was in LoDo about 2 1/2 years ago, was in town for a Broncos game.   Lots of new development... I first started going to LoDo in '97.    I shouldn't have sold my condo in Greenwood Village, it's pretty much doubled in value in the last 10 years.. 

That's true!  My house the same way!  Crazy prices. wife and I are contemplating selling our place and heading out on the road in a RV.  Need to travel before we get too old.  
Here's a good one for you, I was going to LODO before it was LODO, I worked at the Railroad, inspected trains at Union Station back before there was amtrak!  The businesses around there were not places that most people went to, electrical stores, Grain stores, seed store etc.  The docks across from the station always had boxcars parked there. 60-70-early 80's. Then worked after that in all locations around colorado fixing railcars.  Union station used to be like a ghost town in it, but now...OMG the changes!
My nephew has a loft on 15th and Wazee, bought it 12 years ago for 400K him and his wife are divorcing, the place was looked at and it was given a value of 2.7 MILLION!!!!!  I liked to--- you know what- my pants!  

Just now, cobramike said:

That's true!  My house the same way!  Crazy prices. wife and I are contemplating selling our place and heading out on the road in a RV.  Need to travel before we get too old.  
Here's a good one for you, I was going to LODO before it was LODO, I worked at the Railroad, inspected trains at Union Station back before there was amtrak!  The businesses around there were not places that most people went to, electrical stores, Grain stores, seed store etc.  The docks across from the station always had boxcars parked there. 60-70-early 80's. Then worked after that in all locations around colorado fixing railcars.  Union station used to be like a ghost town in it, but now...OMG the changes!
My nephew has a loft on 15th and Wazee, bought it 12 years ago for 400K him and his wife are divorcing, the place was looked at and it was given a value of 2.7 MILLION!!!!!  I liked to--- you know what- my pants!  

Go Broncos!!!!

21 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I got a 50 percent off coupon for Micheals and so I went. They had 3 kits that you glue together. They haven't restocked anything.

Try the AC Moore in Latham. Looking at their shelves, you wouldn’t think Revell USA was done!

With their 50% coupon this week, you’re out the door for $13 - $18 per kit. 

70D6D3DA-2B01-4E14-8E6D-94AF8150630C.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Matt T. said:

Try the AC Moore in Latham. Looking at their shelves, you wouldn’t think Revell USA was done!

That pic could have been taken at my AC Moore. 

When I was a kid, that's about what the model section at a typical supermarket, drug store, or hardware store looked like. The model selection at typical "dime stores" was three times that size, or more. Models were everywhere! 

1 hour ago, Matt T. said:

Yes. I've been there and got what I wanted. 59 Caddy. 49 Mercury woody. 1970 Torino. Volkswagen. 57 Chevy. And I have just about everything else they have that I want at least. Seems the stores have the same models. It's not like I don't have enough kits already. LOL. Micheals had an acrylic paint set on clearance. Was $9 or $10 originally. Clearance at $3.95. And I wish I could buy on line at AC Moore but you can't. Not the models anyhow. It's a 45 mile drive just to see what they have. 

2 hours ago, Matt T. said:

Matthew. Have to been to Ollies recent? I was going to check them out today. But got to the Fonda Thruway entrance and changed my mind. It's a 45 mile drive for me to get there and I hate getting there only to find out nothing has changed. 

34 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Matthew. Have to been to Ollies recent? I was going to check them out today. But got to the Fonda Thruway entrance and changed my mind. It's a 45 mile drive for me to get there and I hate getting there only to find out nothing has changed. 

Yes, nothing new at Ollie’s. I checked yesterday. PM me when you need to know. I work right near Ollie’s. 

2 hours ago, Matt T. said:

Yes, nothing new at Ollie’s. I checked yesterday. PM me when you need to know. I work right near Ollie’s. 

Thank you Matthew. Anytime you see something new. If you could let me know that would be wonderful. 

from what ive seen Hobby Lobby has way more selection of kits and tools /supplies than Michaels. The local Michaels in my area had empty racks where testors paints should have been and a slim selection of kits. I am on the mailing list though and when i get 50 or 60 percent off coupons I look for kits like the Revell Jeep Rubicon and buy them for gifts or parts etc.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:47 AM, cobramike said:

Too bad that we are so freaking far from Colpar, like you said...sitting in traffic just to pay high prices sucks.  But they are a great store.  Have you been to the new "Caboose hobby store" in Lakewood?  Lordy be, that place makes me...well you get the picture, or maybe better if you didn't!
Were is the new HL located Mike? 
Never been to hobby hut, don't get over to Junction much till the peaches come in. 

I've never been to caboose i'm going to now :D The new HL is on I76 and Prairie Center Parkway just south of Platte Valley Medical center and the Adams County Justice center in Brighton As for Hobby Hut it is old skool kewl packed to the brim and the folks that run it are very nice 

Again,come on guys,Support your LHS,not these  corporate giants such as Michaels,AC Moore,and now Hobby Lobby,which just opened on Long Island.I think LHS are gonna be a thing of the past soon.Go spend your hard earned money at a hobby shop.Help them out.About four hobby shops have closed in my county in as many years.There are still a few,but who knows how long...Just my opinion.

Thank you

Tell you what, Ron. You wanna support LHS's? Take a ride into Manhattan and visit Jan's Hobby Shop. You can support the joint to your heart's content paying up to 2 1/2 times MSRP for a kit. That's price gouging. Do a search for Jan's on this site and you'll see that I'm not exaggerating. I'm not going to get ripped off for something I can get online for almost 70% less just to keep their door open. 

8 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Again,come on guys,Support your LHS,not these  corporate giants such as Michaels,AC Moore,and now Hobby Lobby,which just opened on Long Island.I think LHS are gonna be a thing of the past soon.Go spend your hard earned money at a hobby shop.Help them out.About four hobby shops have closed in my county in as many years.There are still a few,but who knows how long...Just my opinion.

Thank you

I WISH I had a LHS to support. The closest to me are nearly an hour each way. At this point, I'm lucky to have a Hobby Lobby. 

Back when I lived in New Jersey I had three hobby shops within a reasonable drive.

Avenel Hobbies was a 30 year shop, that went out of business a few years ago, right after the Hobby Lobby went in on the highway.  Avenel was a kit shop, he had no RC, drones etc.  He said that he couldn't compete and his sales went down dramatically.  He said that people constantly came in with HLs 40% off coupon, expecting him to honor it.  

Both the Hobby Shop in Aberdeen (yea, that's their imaginative name) and Hobbymasters in Red Bank are still there.

If I wanted to drive 45 minutes, there was Jackson Hobbies. With the other shops closer, it wasn't worth the drive.  I have friends in Jackson and we pick up great wings at a shop in the same shopping center so I will go in there to browse.  The owner wants to retire and he's made it public knowledge that the shop is for sale.  No takers so far, so he's saying he'll close up by year's end.  This is the quandary of a lot of shops.... aging owners needing out and nobody to buy the business!

Once I moved to Pennsylvania, there is a Hobby Town about 30 minutes away in West Chester.  If I need something, I can stop at Mainline Hobbies in Plymouth, on my way home from work.  That involves getting off the PA Turnpike and back on again, so it about doubles my toll!  

There are both a Michael's and a Hobby Lobby in the same shopping area right here in Exton.  I could literally walk there!  I stopped even going into Michael's to look since HL opened.  Michael's selection shrunk to nothing in the 7 years I've been here.  

For the most part I just buy supplies and paint at shops.  There are shows and discount dealers in my circle of friends, where I buy my kits.   Still, if I want something new I can get it at HL for a small premium over my usual sources using the 40% off coupon.