Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished my 1st Funny Car

This is my 3rd and a half model as I had trouble with the paint on my last one and had to soak it in some Super Degreaser for a while to get the paint off.  So I moved on to this Soapy Sales funny car that I got at Hobby Lobby.  I'm trying to knock these out as fast as I can right now just to get some experience. I look forward to doing another funny car because I will know what to look out for and make the next build go a little smoother.  This is totally box stock right down to the chrome super charger belt LOL.  This time I wanted to put the craft acrylics and airbrush aside and do a kit with paint cans.  It sure was a lot quicker and easier... the Duplicolor paints dried fast and smooth and no cleanup.  I think my next build I will decant the Duplicolor paint and use it in my airbrushes as the cans waste a lot of paint.  Right now I am happy with the Duplicolor lacquers.  

IMG_0523.thumb.JPG.c22d29cd0a10ee1d8acceecce8afd24c.JPGIMG_0524.thumb.JPG.a89d0b3b8857f0a04def0649f414bbc8.JPGIMG_0525.thumb.JPG.a4ecb75eb2607156d1bfc06aff4e568a.JPGIMG_0526.thumb.JPG.06a96e36f879c5c51758fd64f7093b74.JPG

Looking good but I would suggest slowing down a little. Take your time and start adding a little more detail as you go. You do not gain experience going fast, you gain it by taking you time and doing it right!:)

Like painting the blower drive belt flat black and maybe adding some black to the header openings and maybe  even drill them out a bit for realism.

Also try scuffing the tire tread surfaces for a more real "used" look! Simple things!

Not being critical as it is a really nice looking build! We all had to start somewhere. My first builds were the old screw bottom promo type kits that I just put together without any paint! So you are way ahead of where I was at 3.5 kits done! :lol:

Just some simple suggestions that go a long way to a better looking model.

Keep on building! It's not just a hobby, it's an addiction!;)

Very very nice paint and finish.  Most kits tend to overdo the chrome parts as in reality many parts would be made of other metals and perphaps polished.  It's pretty easy to add plug wires with the pre-wired distributors available from the aftermarket.  Of course a Jungle Pam figure (even if it isn't a Jungle Jim car) would make the model look ever better ;-)

4 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Looking good but I would suggest slowing down a little. Take your time and start adding a little more detail as you go. You do not gain experience going fast, you gain it by taking you time and doing it right!:)

Like painting the blower drive belt flat black and maybe adding some black to the header openings and maybe  even drill them out a bit for realism.

Also try scuffing the tire tread surfaces for a more real "used" look! Simple things!

Not being critical as it is a really nice looking build! We all had to start somewhere. My first builds were the old screw bottom promo type kits that I just put together without any paint! So you are way ahead of where I was at 3.5 kits done! :lol:

Just some simple suggestions that go a long way to a better looking model.

Keep on building! It's not just a hobby, it's an addiction!;)

Agreed,

no reason to rush. its not a race.

just as an fyi, even though this build looks great silver. the original car was white body

Thanks for the compliments and comments... I appreciate it.

I will slow down and add more detail someday but being new to this it can be a little frustrating when you don't know what you are doing.  However, just following the directions and getting decent results is fun for me now.  When I finish building some of the models I want to build I do want to come back to this one and do it again with more detail.  At that point I am sure I will be detailing them all more.  I went back to HL yesterday to get another one of these and I got the last one a month ago and they still haven't gotten any more in.

Now I did know that the body was suppose to be white with the spoiler and aluminum plating on the rocker panels black but I thought it would look better with the car silver and blue on the spoiler and rocker panels.  I am glad it worked out or I would have had to redo it... at least I like it better.

Jungle Pam??? I didn't know who she was and had to google her... Holy smokes!!! she is older than my mom but in her prime she was as hot as any woman I have seen.  Wow!  I am surprised she could get away with those outfits back then.

Speaking of details, I've wonder how much a lot of the folks here spend on all the aftermarket parts.  To me the kits seem expensive for what they are and then to add 2 to 4 times the price in extra parts.  Then I realized that if I did that I would probably complete a detailed kit in the same time as I complete 2 or 4 without all the detail so the price spent probably comes out the same but the cars look much nicer.  I look forward to getting to that skill level but I am not there yet.  It is so satisfying for me now to complete one looking decent... and I learn so much from building them.

Just my opinion, forget the aftermarket stuff and concentrate on clean building.  Too many models have tons of aftermarket bits and pieces and still don't look good because the basics were neglected.  You're off to a great start, keep them coming!

Great start as funny cars are tricky and will test your patience! Think of every one as a stepping stone to do better on the next one. Try to challenge yourself with every model. Painting, detailing, realism etc...    Check this board for tips and other models done that you are considering. Also, you can google the actual car to get photos to aid you in detailing. Good Luck!

Research is the key to building.

While I will have a general idea of what I want to do I always hit the net and look for the cars that I will be building.

It helps with details that are easily missed that are relatively easy to do and make for a better build.

Especially if you are looking for specific color options  and engine options of a particular car.

I've been building for over 50 years and I'm still learning new things all the time!:lol:

The other member's here have given good advice / tip's  , so I wont repeat them.

But I will say...

1:  The car look's great ! 

2: I like the Silver and Blue combination. They go together like "Milk and Cookie's ".

3: Nice job on the decal's . The  large one's on the Hood / Roof / trunk can be a "Bear" to get snuggled down without air Bubble's getting trapped under them. Your's look PERFECT !  I have been building model's for 45 year's ,and "Still" can't get decal's to go on perfect every time. ( My Hammer usually fix's the problem.....)

Beautiful work , it looks great !  Knocking them out as quick as you can may not be the best way to get experience though . If you take your time and treat each sub-assembly as a finished model you'll learn some patience , which is more important than anything else . :)

CLEAN BUILD...My only advice is to not go back and redo them...Display them as they are and it will show how you progress through the years. I went back and redid  my first kits (the ones I did with my father) and i no longer have any of them... I wish I did

Otherwise, build as you see fit.

10 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

CLEAN BUILD...My only advice is to not go back and redo them...Display them as they are and it will show how you progress through the years. I went back and redid  my first kits (the ones I did with my father) and i no longer have any of them... I wish I did

Otherwise, build as you see fit.

Two thumbs up !

16 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks for the compliments and comments... I appreciate it.

I will slow down and add more detail someday but being new to this it can be a little frustrating when you don't know what you are doing.  However, just following the directions and getting decent results is fun for me now.  When I finish building some of the models I want to build I do want to come back to this one and do it again with more detail.  At that point I am sure I will be detailing them all more.  I went back to HL yesterday to get another one of these and I got the last one a month ago and they still haven't gotten any more in.

Now I did know that the body was suppose to be white with the spoiler and aluminum plating on the rocker panels black but I thought it would look better with the car silver and blue on the spoiler and rocker panels.  I am glad it worked out or I would have had to redo it... at least I like it better.  That right there is all that is important

Jungle Pam??? I didn't know who she was and had to google her... Holy smokes!!! she is older than my mom but in her prime she was as hot as any woman I have seen.  Wow!  I am surprised she could get away with those outfits back then.  Yep, back then she was THE one to ck out, and still is to a degree. Met her a few years back. She still looks great and is a very humble down to earth lady to meet in person

Speaking of details, I've wonder how much a lot of the folks here spend on all the aftermarket parts.  To me the kits seem expensive for what they are and then to add 2 to 4 times the price in extra parts.  Then I realized that if I did that I would probably complete a detailed kit in the same time as I complete 2 or 4 without all the detail so the price spent probably comes out the same but the cars look much nicer.  I look forward to getting to that skill level but I am not there yet.  It is so satisfying for me now to complete one looking decent... and I learn so much from building them     I for one dont concentrate on much after market parts. The older Ive got the less I worry about all kinds of expensive aftermkt stuff . Concentrate of quality  building then ck into aftermarket stuff if you wish