Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking back at AMT's 1963 Chevrolet PU

Stepping back to 1963 , a brief revue of AMT's 1963 Chevrolet PU kit :

After a successful sales year with George Barris as a "Customizing " authority and the merger of SMP , a smaller modeling company in nearby Detroit . AMT was beginning to be the Gorilla of sorts in the 3 in 1 kit markets . Jo-Han of course was AMT's only real competitor . One can see how the idea of Build it YOUR way had taken off like a satellite rocket into space .

AMT was now alone in the Light truck markets as none of the plastic kit competitors had done anything comparable , save for Revell and to a tiny extent , Paul Linburg. .

The folks at AMT had the "Promotional " market tied up tight as they did Chromed Ford truck award models for outstanding Ford sales personnel and kits for we "Budding " motorists yearning for our license to drive .

For 1963 , the Chevrolet had been down graded a little from the premiere Apache series to a rather vague form of Custom Cab , Custom rear window and Custom Chrome options . Previously, the 1961 and 1962 Chevrolet Apache truck kits had the engraving for the Custom Cab's on the "B" panel along with the side trim. Now for the "Custom " crowd , this is is a Time saver . It was still considered KWELL to have a No chrome look . Sure Chrome Grilles , bumpers , well Nerf bars , Rolled pans were still very much in vogue . Amt kits of the era were Chock full of various Custom options like two Grille options including a giant "V" which attached to the Custom piece . Out back , a matching attachment with sat in a body colored Surround pan with what appeared to have been 1959 Pontiac Bonneville tail lamps . An optional Tailgate Filler panel could have also been chosen to have blocked off the Chevrolet stamping .

Because these Chevrolet Trucks were referred to as "Pinch - waist " trucks , The AMT customizing members decided upon a set of Exhaust pipes at the rear most ends of the Eight foot bed or more Filler panels so as to eliminate the exterior character line .

The interior choices were limited to some add on under dash gauges , a floor shift and a dash mounted rear view mirror . The engine , a dubious looking 327 Mouse motor had three Rochester 2 CG's on a cast iron intake which also served as a mounting point for the valve covers . I guess we weren't all that inspired as to separate starters , distributors in that time . Hey, the big deal was , it had an opening hood with an engine !

Optional wheels were Full Moons or the stock Dog Dishes along with the Vinyl White wall "Stick -on's " Service accessories consisted of the red Bubble Gum lamp , gas cans and a tool box .

Now in previous years of AMT annuals , one could have found pieces to build a Go Kart or a Motorcycle . Of course you HAD to buy ALL of the annual cars along with the Trucks to have done either . For 1963 , that all changed ! The Ford had a "Bonneville " . Go Kart surround for the kart . The Chevrolet featured a Triumph Motorcycle with a fiberglass Cafe shell. Replica's and Miniatures of Maryland now faithfully reproduce BOTH the Motorcycle and the kart separately .

I'll be building this truck as a "Shop truck " with my company logo, Art Forms design on the doors .

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007 (2).JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

1962-Chevrolettruck-pg01.jpg

I enjoyed your story on the AMT trucks. I remember them well and built several. I even shortened on of the Ford trucks to make a short wheel base. Very big deal back then, not so much now. I think the Service Truck option also had a Push Bumper also. I look forward to what all you do with your build.

Here's a picture of the Triumph Bonneville bike in the AMT '63 Chevy Apache kit described by Ellen....this is the showroom stock version.....followed by the Bonneville racing version (along with the streamliner GoKart from the companion AMT '63 F100 kit)…   TIM

DSC 0440 AMT Triumph Bonneville Restored StockDSC 0076

Edited by tim boyd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"62-'63 Chevy pickups look very similar to most people, they'll say the grill and emblems are different, which is true, howvever the '63 went thru an extensive chassis improvements, GM dropped the torsion bar front end for  coil springs and the frame was replaced with a ladder type over the previous X design. AMT left the old incorrect suspension under the new '63 truck kits.  Too bad AMT dropped the pickup kits in '64 , '65 and '66. Any body have any explanations on why?

On 8/7/2018 at 2:35 PM, ranma said:

If round2 Is really going to reissue the 1960 Apache pickup again Could a person just use the hood and front grill/headlights from a 64-66 Revell Chevy pickup and make the 60 into a 63?

should work, both are 1/25th scale only visible difference is the way they mount

On 7.8.2018 at 8:35 PM, ranma said:

If round2 Is really going to reissue the 1960 Apache pickup again Could a person just use the hood and front grill/headlights from a 64-66 Revell Chevy pickup and make the 60 into a 63?

Someone ones made a 63 grille in resin I think. Atleast I got parts somewhere that I aquired from fellow modelclub member that he had intended to make in to a 63. The parts consist of a AMT 60 cab and interior with a Revell 64 chassis and hood and a resin grille for a 63. But I'm not sure who made it.