Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few years back I bought this built B-17 G at a garage sale. Paid less than .50 cents . It was missing one of it's landing gear,And so I put it in storage in the shed while trying to get the needed part's to fix it. Fast foreword to 2018, And Ollies having the same kit for sale. so  I bought the kit. After I started building it I remembered the one I had in storage, And so I went out to get it. I decided to do a battle damaged copy of a B-17 G.

The Back story: The Date: June 18,1944  In the skies over Europe/ allied air base  the B-17 G lost two crew members, and two others needing medical attention. The bomber makes it to base,but will never again fly the skies over Europe.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Good effort. I think you could take the realism further. Torn metal would show siver in places where the paint was removed. Scorch marks also. As you can see from the bottom pic, there's a lot more going on in the structure of the plane than just torn fuselage. Add some wiring and cables and really bump up the realism.

Image result for battle damaged plane

Related image

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking build!

My dad who was lost in Korea a few days before I was born was a B17 pilot in WWII. 

Two of my uncle's crewed on them one ended up a POW for 2 years after being shot down over Germany.

The other was a line mechanic.

I met two of them as a kid and both swore by those planes and their durability to sustain great damage and still get her boy's home!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...