Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus Shasta w/ 60 Chevy SD resin build thread ..

Dale Gribble

I like your ideas on this build. As for the scale of the Resin bodied '60 Sedan Delivery, this is based on the old Monogram kit of a sedan Delivery with a Chopped Top. I think if you take the top issue into account the scales aren't that far off really. The original Monogram kit was based on a make believe Hot Rod / Custom and the basic proportions of the body were close but not exact. A personal experience that may or may not help. I rented a very similar Scotsman brand Trailer for a vacation and towed it behind my stock height '68 Chevrolet full size car. Looking out the rear window my view was of the lower edge of the window on the trailer and most of the middle of the trailer window. This may give you an idea as to the size differences between the Sedan Delivery and the trailer.  

5 hours ago, espo said:

I like your ideas on this build. As for the scale of the Resin bodied '60 Sedan Delivery, this is based on the old Monogram kit of a sedan Delivery with a Chopped Top. I think if you take the top issue into account the scales aren't that far off really. The original Monogram kit was based on a make believe Hot Rod / Custom and the basic proportions of the body were close but not exact. A personal experience that may or may not help. I rented a very similar Scotsman brand Trailer for a vacation and towed it behind my stock height '68 Chevrolet full size car. Looking out the rear window my view was of the lower edge of the window on the trailer and most of the middle of the trailer window. This may give you an idea as to the size differences between the Sedan Delivery and the trailer.  

Pretty sure the body was based on the recent monogram 60 , as all of the moldings and parts are direct fit including the glass . 

21 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

Pretty sure the body was based on the recent monogram 60 , as all of the moldings and parts are direct fit including the glass . 

my thoughts as well, I never felt like the TD Street fighter was really chopped.

I do totally agree with Dale on it being a facsimile of a 60.

box art describes it as a glass body too

kinda wish the resin car had the correct sedan door instead of the el camino door.

love this project.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:54 PM, Dale Gribble said:

I think you're both right.

I't looks to me to be the Monogram SD roof and tail gate on a R/M '60 hardtop.  

I'd say the "top chop" is so you can use the windshield that came in the donor kit as the roof on a sedan or S/D is quite a bit higher than a hardtop or cvt.

Edited by Can-Con

As much as I wanted to use the 60 the sizes are just too far off ..... Can't find my 72 , so I settled on this new arrival I bought last week .... Ford flareside AMT kit . Won't satisfy my "period correct" build , but I think I can get a suitable diorama from it ...

image.jpeg

Maybe you can find a Moebius 69 pickup for it? Not sure of the release of the Moebius 65/66 Ford pickups, but that could work too. Maybe the upcoming 65 El Camino with the camper on the back would look period correct pulling that?

Anxious to see your rendition of the camper, maybe that will get me motivated to build mine!

Dale, I've run into this scale credibility problem before and it has a lot to do with how we view things in real life as distinct from scale.  Let me give an example.

Back in the day it would not be uncommon for someone to tow a 57 Chevy racecar with a 57 Chevy street car. If you grab two AMT 57 Chevies and put one on a trailer being towed behind the other , it will look ridiculous.  And yet, it is correct. Its just that in real life, we would rarely take in the whole scene the way we do in scale. 

For another example, next time you are in traffic and what we call a temporary Australian comes squeezing between the lanes on his dirt bike, check out how high he is compared to the cars he is passing.  If you created that scene in 1/25th scale no-one would believe you. 

If it was mine, I would keep building that cool 60 Delivery as you had planned and I think you will find it works out pretty good when it is all finished. I don't think the scale is an issue as caravans (sorry, campeer trailers) come in all sizes.

Cheers

Alan

19 hours ago, alan barton said:

Dale, I've run into this scale credibility problem before and it has a lot to do with how we view things in real life as distinct from scale.  Let me give an example.

Back in the day it would not be uncommon for someone to tow a 57 Chevy racecar with a 57 Chevy street car. If you grab two AMT 57 Chevies and put one on a trailer being towed behind the other , it will look ridiculous.  And yet, it is correct. Its just that in real life, we would rarely take in the whole scene the way we do in scale. 

I'm going to focus on building up the trailer first , then I'll tackle the pull vehicle and finally the diorama base . I'd really like to do a 60's period camping scene , and I haven't completely closed off the idea of the SD as a tow unit , but I'll have to let my eyes be the final determing factor . I don't have much other in the stash that would mesh well as a tow vehicle . 

At any rate .... Color one is applied , the chassis is painted ..... I'm going to bed ... Shops closed ....

image.jpeg