Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Buick Riviera George Barris News

3 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Darryl Starbird put a set on this '56 Crown Victoria, "The Majestic", that looked pretty nice - the installation was written up in the November, 1968 Rod & Custom.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/traveled-starbird-custom/

Wow! I normally like Darryl Starbird's stuff. Sorry ?. That one does not do anything for me. 

Surprisingly, I found that I had registered for this site previously, just as I was going to sign up!

Personally, I'd love to see a '63 Riv introduced as it was my first 1-1 car.  Over the years I have acquired a few rebuildable models of it, but it would be nice to be able to start from scratch.

BTW, I echo the idea of the "63 Grand Prix... while they are at it, give us a '63 Bonne & Catalina!   

On 8/13/2018 at 11:01 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I think the '65 was the best choice of that first generation.  It's basically what it was supposed to be all along. 

I agree. Hiding the headlights really cleaned up the whole front of the car and instantly made the '63s and '64s look like "last year's model." 

IMHO, though, as nice as the rest of the car was, they never got the whole back end of the thing right. It always looked to me like something they threw together on Friday afternoon of the last day of the design period. Image how good the car would have looked with the taillights and whole rear end treatment of the '64-'65 Skylark, especially the full-width taillights. It would have been gorgeous. I might try building such a model sometime, maybe by using the spare custom rear end parts from the common reissued '69 Riviera.