Model Cars Magazine Forum

New updated Model Car Garage site!

Trying this to see if this will post before I go through a lot of drama...........

Edit: If you follow this thread below, you'll see what I was originally trying to post. I had to "trick" the board into putting what I wanted in the first place. Ain't 2018 technology grand??

Edited by MrObsessive

Yeah, I'm in the middle of trying (for the umpteenth time) to compose a new topic on another device. I don't know what the issue is, but on my laptop I keep getting the 404 Error as well as on my phone. I'm on my desktop now, so hopefully this'll take. If not..........I give up.

I occasionally have that same 404 error code Bill, not sure what it is or how to explain it. I come back a few minutes later and it's all fixed, so I figure there is some kind of glitch in the forum because I do not have similar issues with other websites. I am using an 11 year old Dell laptop with an old version of Windows, so it could be me, but I don't think it is.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

To my knowledge Dave is trying to fix this. From my experience intermittent problems of this type are extremely difficult to find. There is some sequence of events that is causing the problem.  At this point getting as much info to Dave will help the cause. I understand you are frustrated.

We have been working on this since day one. It is baffling. It is random and it often times just goes away on it's own. Software update didn't fix it. Software publisher is as baffled as we are. My uninformed, non-IT gut feeling is that it has something to do with the hardware where this site is hosted. I have no data to back that up though.

One saving grace of the updated site is that it does autosave whatever you have typed in to a point. However, until this gets worked out, I'm very reluctant to do any long posts such as my WIP's going on. It's very annoying to spend upwards of a ½ hour to an hour composing something, posting pics, grammar checks, spelling, etc, only to have that annoying error message come up.

What I was trying to post yesterday I'll try again, but I'm not hopeful.

OK, I think I zeroed in on the issue with my intermittent posting troubles. I was just trying to post what I was seeing on The Model Car Garage as I had did a screen capture, and was linking if from my Fotki page. Once again, I got the "Page Not Found" message, and decided to delete the whole message in this text box. I tried uploading the pic from my hard disc and was getting the same message.

The problem seems to be something in that pic that the board doesn't like. I don't know if it's because of the type (.jpg), or if using the different colored fonts is the issue. I use the dark blue bold font as it makes it MUCH easier to see this board, and spruces the joint up a bit.

All I can say is if you click here, and look at the cars scrolling past, you'll see what I was excited about. ;)

I see what you mean Bill, some cool stuff there to consider!;)

I wonder if I buy one of those detail sets for a 57 Corvette if mine will turn out as nice as the one on the MCG page?

Nice job on the Corvette and it's always cool to see your builds featured!

3 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Bill, congrats on having your Corvette displayed on the site. 

Anyone else notice the Shelby and TBird sets pictured beside the logo at the top. 

Sure did! I've been asking about a set for those for years now! I don't see them listed in his catalog yet, but I did drop him a line to see when they might be available.

That Shelby set will come in mighty handy! Hopefully it's ready before I get my Green Hornet all done......especially the things I see for the interior.

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I see what you mean Bill, some cool stuff there to consider!;)

I wonder if I buy one of those detail sets for a 57 Corvette if mine will turn out as nice as the one on the MCG page?

Nice job on the Corvette and it's always cool to see your builds featured!

:D:DThanks Mike!

Congratulations having your model featured on their website Bill.  I was just as excited when my model was used on the Bare metal Foil packaging (and in some of their magazine ads in the early 2000s)!   More so than winning any contest trophy.

4 minutes ago, Sport Suburban said:

They announced the Shelby sets almost three years ago. I keep asking for updates but keep getting told that they are delayed and should be in the next batch of new releases but they have not shown up yet!

A couple years ago, I spoke to Bob personally at the NNL East and I had asked him about the Shelby PE. He had said then it was still under development and I mentioned that if he could include some of the Green Hornet scripts that would be great. This was before I got started on that WIP, and with all the pics I have of that car now, it seems that it used the same scripts and such as the other models, save for the side striping and maybe the '428' badging on the sides.

This is the first I've seen them pictured though (along with the T-Bird set) so hopefully that's a good sign that they're soon ready to sell.

44 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Bill,

You did a great job on that Corvette!  Congratulations for having it used on the website.  What paint did you use and is that Bare Metal foil for the chrome trim?

Thanks Jim! The paint was '57 Corvette Venetian Red (has a somewhat orange cast to it). I had it mixed locally by a auto paint shop. I've been using them for years as I get to control how much thinner to use since I mostly airbrush, as opposed to spraying from a can which too many times for me has been unpredictable. They know me pretty well, and make just enough for what would be a touch-up amount for a car.

Yes, that is BMF for the chrome trim on the coves, as well as the windshield frame. I still have the model as it's in a case 99% of the time which is in another display case to keep my nosy cats away. Hard to believe I built that during 2001-'02! Time flies! :o

Bill,

The color looks dead on for a '57.  Do you use lacquer or enamel?  I haven't used an airbrush yet, and I still have some factory-type Duplicolor paint in large and small spray cans.  The best paint job I ever did was from an auto supply who mixed up some Jade Gold lacquer for my '68 442 kit.  I painted it the same as our family's Vista Cruiser.  I've found that the spray nozzle makes a big difference when using cans.  A fan-type spray nozzle seems to provide a wider, smoother coat than a conventional nozzle found on most cans.