Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can Anyone I.D. This Wheel?

I used to know what it's from, an AMT compact but not sure which.  I have 2 on my table I want to use on an AMT Astro-1 I plan to rebuild but need 2 more. I was going to cast a couple. 

I have to go out in a minute, I'll check later.

Back ,, It's from the AMT '65 Corvair Monza.

Edited by Can-Con

6 hours ago, Casey said:

unknownwheel.thumb.jpg.b143e71651b246a61e69e7fd4b232725.jpg

I like the wheel, would make great stock hubcaps on something. Kinda looks like a 70s Thunderbird wheel. How many did it come with?

As for the car - well, if you can't say something nice...

Check underneath, if it had/has a trunk area, it was a 40 Ford coupe, if it didn't - 39/40 sedan. My bet it was the coupe. That rear end would have been really hacked to make that fastback from a sedan. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27

That's not the Corvair wheel.  Those were smaller, to fit the compact car tires AMT used in the Corvair kits.  As an aside, the Corvair wheels MAY have been used in the 1969 Crew Wagon reissue of the '63 Nova station wagon.  I've got one of those, will check it later if I remember to do so.

Not knowing exactly what these are from, I'd guess one of the AMT mid-Sixties Corvette kits had them as a custom option.  Often the convertible and fastback had different optional parts in the same year, so there are several possibilities there.

Well, I stand by my statement, I still say it's the Corvair wheel. ,

The Corvair wheel in an AMT compact car white wall with the white painted with something red other than model paint. 

Aside from the paint the tire looks exactly like the ones that I have from the '61 Corvair I rebuilt a few years ago and the chassis from the one in the pic below that's in my basement right now.

2vcWLjq5x2A694.jpg

But, hey, who knows. Maybe I am wrong. <_<

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Not knowing exactly what these are from, I'd guess one of the AMT mid-Sixties Corvette kits had them as a custom option.  Often the convertible and fastback had different optional parts in the same year, so there are several possibilities there.

I think I've got one of every AMT '63-'67 Vette kit, coupe and roadster, and I don't recall ever seeing those wheels in any of them. 

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Hold the phone...I'm seeing detail on the center hub of the Corvair wheel, that isn't on the '40 Ford wheel...

The little dimples around the circumference of the smaller, tapered inner center cap? I think it's the same wheel, but the custom '40 Ford image isn't the greatest.

Someone has to have one of these wheels lying around, right? ^_^