Model Cars Magazine Forum

'79 Corvette L-82

AJM

First time posting in  this section of the forum, glad to present a model that I built over 30 yrs ago, just getting back into the hobby.

This is a 1/8 scale Monogram '78 corvette, that has been modified to the '79 , which was the first Corvette that I had purchased --had for 13 years and then sold it when the kids came along. So this is my remembrance, it sits proudly under a Lucite case in my office. What inspired me, was a kit review in a very early issue(1979) of SA mag. The build took me over three years --way too long, but enjoyed it. Some of the model features are as follows:

Exterior paint is Dupont 'Corvette Yellow'(code52), acrylic lacquer applied with a Badger 200 AB, wet sanded, polished and waxed(no clear coat); interior was a tan/beige , w seatbelts added and the side coves modified to accept the seat belts, like the real car, steering wheel was cast from a 1/8 scale Camaro kit, which more realistically replicates the smaller steering wheel on the Vette. The '78 commemorative badges were modified to  just 'crossed flags' for '79 , rear window defroster is red pin stripping tape.

The 5.7L  engine was detailed using the vette shop manual, air cleaner was modified to be a 'dual snorkel', brake lines were added as well, T-Tops were AB silver with a thin coat of gloss black and final coats of Tamiya Smoke, to try and replicate the 'glass' T-tops.

I think it came out pretty good, it has the 'look' and 'stance' of the real car -- appreciate any feedback --if I built this now, probably would do some things different, but I guess that is experience. I've added a picture of the real car and then a few of the model, Thx for looking and I enjoy going onto this forum and seeing all the creative model builds ,

Thx for looking,

Al

79 Vette.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

Thank you for all the kind words; for some reason I'm not able to post some of the pics of the engine bay, any suggestions are welcome --I'm using the 'drag files or choose files' from the box, but I get an error message that file upload failed??? 

Thx again 

Al

12 minutes ago, AJM said:

Thank you for all the kind words; for some reason I'm not able to post some of the pics of the engine bay, any suggestions are welcome --I'm using the 'drag files or choose files' from the box, but I get an error message that file upload failed??? 

Thx again 

Al

Great work. That looks real! These kits build up to be very realistic. I used this kit and the `81 kit to build the Alpha car, and I think they proportions, except for the tires being just a little bit too big, are right on. 

What paint did you use on the wheels? The color and texture are very convincing!

I am looking forward to see pics of the engine if you are able to get them up.

Since this was done over 30 yrs ago, I'm not completely sure, but I think it was either Folquil Aluminum or Model Master Aluminum, airbrushed directly over the chrome plated wheels -- then semi-gloss black and enamels were used to detail the cross flags. IMG_1162.thumb.jpg.9673ddf24a075d4128941a34c852bb5b.jpg

Sorry for the 'cockpit' issues on the text in the above image of the engine bay, which I was finally able to get to load. As you can see the dual snorkel air cleaner was built to replicated the 1:1 . Also, added some engine wiring, brake lines etc. Too bad this engine in the real car was so 'smogged -up', the 5.7L engine was only putting out 225 h.p. --but the car sure looked nice! Noe the windshield wipers with 'Anco' blades(red ends).

Thx again for all the kind words and for looking,

Al