Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 (964) RS 3.8

Tommy124

On 2018-10-04 at 10:20 AM, Tommy124 said:

Thanks again, Lloyd! Sounds good to me, will get me one of these cans...

Good luck dude.I look forward to see the rest of this WIP.

39 minutes ago, Draggon said:

Isn't that the coating they spray on to protect the from paint chipping, and not actually a body crease? 

Are you asking about the 3M contact spray? 

On 6.10.2018 at 9:17 PM, Draggon said:

No, there's a sort of rubberized coating that is sprayed on rocker panels to prevent or limit stone chipping. I had it on my 5.0 Mustang.

I guess I know what you mean. I don't think the Porsche has this, but regardless it won't have any effect on my build, as I will have the whole area painted in body color.

Back to business...

I took a shot at the body with good old grey Tamiya primer spray.

Looks okay to me so far:

IMG_7307.thumb.JPG.d6c0540cf3fbbc14c45bc8363b91b07e.JPG

IMG_7308.thumb.JPG.02fd72f71a6c962a7195231807e05b4d.JPG

Happy not to see any ghostlines from the sunroof that was filled and sanded earlier on. Let's hope it stays that way...

IMG_7310.thumb.JPG.8fb9be10fc68106811588296440976e1.JPG

Just like the rest of the kit, the interior is full of flaws. It's all just 911 Carrera/ turbo and as those cars are not lightweight, further modifications have to be made.

This is what it looks like box-stock:

IMG_7246.thumb.JPG.678f6f25a380d47515e564dd56c00136.JPG

On the ipad image you can see that there are not supposed to be any back seats. It's all basically stripped back there and covered with black carpet.

IMG_7245.thumb.JPG.69ea7bf6c4828df451daf750d1480587.JPG

I will cut, scrape and sand down the parts that formerly were the back seats, in order to have an even area that later will be covered using black flocking. Rear loudspeakers have to go too...

IMG_7248.thumb.JPG.6611512badc30b0aad0a5ffd0a83d5f9.JPG

IMG_7249.thumb.JPG.89242859dff188d386a3ec136228b6b7.JPG

The same goes for the door panels, they have that typical 911 leather look, whereas the RS has even, simple panels. So these pieces have to be cut out and will later be replaced by SB parts.

IMG_7247.thumb.JPG.02b4c4f1b5b21d4422204a1df46d1d86.JPG

As mentioned earlier on, I will use Scale Production race seats as a replacement for the kit's standard 911 seats. As the resin seats do not have the belt holes on their sides, these will have to be made using the hand drill.

IMG_7294.thumb.JPG.ec0549104fb6f9e9fced6840bc6bd0b5.JPG

To be continued...

Edited by Tommy124

I was studying the interior in preparation for a race car conversion and was planning to remove the upper portion of the rear seats completely and replacing it with flat stock.  Would do the same for the rear seat cushions. Interested in seeing how your method turns out.

Body looks good.

Edited by afx

29 minutes ago, afx said:

I was studying the interior in preparation for a race car conversion and was planning to remove the upper portion of the rear seats completely and replacing it with flat stock.  Would do the same for the rear seat cushions. Interested in seeing how your method turns out.

Body looks good.

Thanks JC. In fact I was contemplating to do the same "cutting job" but decided to work my way around it. Note that the shape of the "seat pans" is still visible in the car, so to me it's mainly about removing the leather upholstery structure on the seats and backrest and cutting/ sanding down the higher parts of the backrest. I guess this will look alright once the black flocking has been done...

18 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Looking okay??….more like; BRILLIANT!!!!

Thanks a lot, Dann. I'm glad you like the progress...

18 hours ago, afx said:

I think your method Thomas will work better for the street version as it does have some upholstery.   I want to build a fully gutted competition interior.

That makes sense, JC. A competition racer will be stripped of carpets etc. as far as possible. For "my" car, this is more like a more powerful, lightweight and widebody - but still roadgoing - version of the Carrera. So there may be some carpet. :)

Speaking of which...

This is more or less what I am trying to archieve:

Interior.JPG.ccdb932fe13d8fe73c1363aaf7d8deb5.JPG

In order to replicate the "RS 3.8" lettering, I made a small paper printout from an image I found on the internet. I glued it into place prior to the flocking.

5bbc7dda35e17_Bild007.thumb.jpg.072aa164019139bdc49bf57945a06495.jpg

5bbc7ec418ef4_Bild006frei.thumb.jpg.e910db488ccfb1d112d71fcea14ba3b3.jpg

I added the "lightweight" door handles made out of styrene to the SB door panels. There will be additional red "hand loops" on each side which I will make out of red seat belt textile. I tried it out on one panel already.

5bbc7d9bb6c36_Bild002.thumb.jpg.65d47107badb252da3778c9d6a4d6be8.jpg

Test fit:

5bbc7dc15e4c5_Bild004.thumb.jpg.d70b272d4f9f438e5ac2602b9b0ebbe3.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Tommy124

22 hours ago, afx said:

Interior looks great Thomas.

18 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

That a great flocking job.

Thanks JC and Alex, there'll be more flocking for the floor mats. Moreover I am planning on making the seats and belts the same color scheme like on the iPad photo. I gather a bit of a "friendly grey" and red belts will lighten up the otherwise dark interior.  And I will use Dann's way of making the buckles...

18 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Looks fantastic. I haven't built a 911 since I was a wee lad. This has reminded me how much I love them. Might have to look into something...at any rate, I'm following this.

Thanks, William! It's a great compliment that my build might inspire you to go for a Porsche build yourself. Would like to see that!

12 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

DAS IST SEHR WUNDERBAR!!!!!!!!    

Danke, Dann! As mentioned above, I will use your way of making the buckles. Hopefully they turn out to be half as good as yours... 

Edited by Tommy124

2 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Thanks JC and Alex, there'll be more flocking for the floor mats. Moreover I am planning on making the seats and belts the same color scheme like on the iPad photo. I gather a bit of a "friendly grey" and red belts will lighten up the otherwise dark interior.  And I will use Dann's way of making the buckles...

Thanks, William! It's a great compliment that my build might inspire you to go for a Porsche build yourself. Would like to see that!

Danke, Dann! As mentioned above, I will use your way of making the buckles. Hopefully they turn out to be half as good as yours... 

They will turn out awesome with your skills, bud!!

On 10.10.2018 at 1:20 PM, Rider said:

Fantastic job, you're  knocking this out of the park. 

Thanks Lloyd, much appreciated.

On 10.10.2018 at 1:33 PM, Foxer said:

This is all looking fantastic. That flocking job around the RS lettering is brilliant!

Thanks to you too, Mike. Yes, it's a simple trick but I like the result too.

On 10.10.2018 at 1:46 PM, Dann Tier said:

They will turn out awesome with your skills, bud!!

Thanks a lot, Dann, I sure hope so. :rolleyes:

Btw, I am currently working on fitting the aftermarket wheels and brake discs to the chassis in such a way as to have a proper stance. Only after that I will start shooting the body color, paint the rims and finish the interior. Not least in order to later remember how exactly I did those things (in the likely case I will be using these ScaleProduction parts again on another Porsche model), I will show a detailed WIP later on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would share my results on rear seat removal for the racing interior Thomas, hope you don't mind.  I removed the seat cushions and seat back and replaced it with flat stock

DSCN5789DSCN5791

Edited by afx

Thanks for the rear seat pictures and ideas, guys! I just picked up a Tamiya 911GT3, and the instructions say to just place the supplied carpet over the seats to hide the seats. That doesn't seem right to me. I haven't made it to that point yet, but this will be a big help. Now to go get the tub out of the box, and the instructions....

18 hours ago, afx said:

Thought I would share my results on rear seat removal for the racing interior Thomas, hope you don't mind.  I removed the seat cushions and seat back and replaced it with flat stock

Looks great JC, good effort. Guess the same thing will happen to the door panels?

As to my own progress, the work on fitting the aftermarket brakes and rims has become somewhat tiresome. As mentioned above, I will show the process in details once it's done but I assume I will take a break from this build for a while and do something "quicker" in the meantime. Thinking of making a restoration to an old, simple kit...

Before that, however, I will post the images on the Porsche's body paint job. During all of my research on this car I saw lots of images of the car in silver and l liked it a lot. There was one favorite color I would have done rather than that and that would be amethyst metallic. However, as at this stage that color wasn't available to me, I went for silver. The color of choice is Tamiya TS 17.

IMG_7392.thumb.JPG.05c37adf744d8f5089cca52307a37cc2.JPG

IMG_7393.thumb.JPG.5d0ccf980f363a803182e99bfc9adf79.JPG

After that I gave it a shot with Spraila automotive 1k clear from the can.

IMG_7405.thumb.jpg.eff95f3d23a6d16123adb3dc8860aa3b.jpg

Orange peel, right? Right! There just HAS to be orange peel on my clear, otherwise something's wrong... :D

But with a lot of elbow grease, and using Tamiya sanding sponge 3000 grit and Micro Mesh grit 3200 up to 12000 (all sanded wet), followed by polishing all 3 Tamiya compounds, the result was more to my liking:

IMG_7407.thumb.jpg.829db8486dcc3febc0109689746c4cf0.jpg

IMG_7404.thumb.JPG.7815a249d11d9916cf719f01cf445219.JPG

To be continued...

19 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Looks great JC, good effort. Guess the same thing will happen to the door panels?

Yes lots more work to make a racing interior but I'll start my own thread when the time comes. :)  Paint looks good.

13 hours ago, FabbricaP said:

Body looks great JC. Always Love seeing that glass smooth finish after many hours of sanding n polishing

This is Thomas' build Jason and his great paint.  I just keep intruding on his build thread - my apologies Thomas.

Edited by afx