Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Dodge Charger Hemi R/T in F8 Green

mademan

I don't often build Mopar stuff, and Ive NEVER built stock, or close to stock; However Lately i've really been wanting to do a Factory Stock/ Dealer Delivered build. Ive always liked the oddball colors and color combinations, so F8 Dark Green ( F8 Ivy) with a matching interior seemed like a good combo. I started by removing all seams and mold lines, as well as the trademark script from the fuel tank. Ive done allot of research and read allot of material as well as talked with the Mopar guys. The body was sprayed with Scale Finishes Dodge F8 over black primer as the 1:1 would have been, and the Chassis was done in grey primer and then over-sprayed (the over-spray is a bit much but it will work). I could not find a proper green flocking or suitable embossing powder locally, however I found some scale diorama "grass" at Micheals, which worked out quite well. The interior was sprayed with the same Scale Finshed F8 but mixed with a bit of flat clear to simulate the vinyl and then the plastics on the seats, door panels, console and dash as well as the rear package tray were painted with a similar olive green. Reference pictures are quite limited for F8 cars I am finding.  The engine will be done up totally stock also using Carter AFB carbs from Fireball Modelworks and a correct rounded air cleaner as the kit supplied one is too square and lacks detail. I have also ordered Fireball 15" Ralleye wheels to use with my f60-15 Poly Glas GT parts pack tires as 70 was the first year of the optional Ralleye`s and 15" tires for Hemi cars..  I will update as I have time to work on it more. Any comments and criticisms, pointers etc. are welcomed and appreciated.

IMG_9803.JPG

IMG_9804.JPG

IMG_9805.JPG

IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9809.JPG

IMG_9810.JPG

IMG_9811.JPG

IMG_9812.JPG

IMG_9813.JPG

IMG_9814.JPG

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Quite nice !  I'm hoping that you're going to install the red tail stripe --- I've seen a '70 R/T with not only F8 with F8 interior , but it had the V8R stripe ! Looked great ! (This same car also had the rare 'R20' Radio Ready Package as well !)

IM really leaning towards the white tail stripe. Do you have a picture of an f8 Charger with red stripe? ive never seen it.

The kit is great so far. I hadn`t even considered buying it until I saw another member here ( Freakshow12) with his at a local contest, I immediately had to have it.... and Honestly Id like to get 2-3 more as Ive got more ideas. Everything seems to fit really nicely.

Edited by mademan

I have to agree with everyone else on the body color. This was a time when green cars were very popular. I remember seeing them with and without the tail stripes.  I'd do the white if you do a stripe, but do what looks best to you. I think you nailed the interior. 

12 hours ago, beeRS said:

Great start, Mike. I love the colour - I think it works well on the Charger.

What is that in you picture above the decals? Are they resin door handles?

Yes, FireballModelworks makes resin door handles, they are really nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updates, I had been waiting on parts orders and very busy with work.

Ive started detailing the interior with decals and chrome trim. My FireBall Modelworks order arrived today with my Ralley wheels and Carter AFB carbs.

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7715.JPG

IMG_7725.JPG