Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa 1966 American Lowrider Type C

fumi

Hmmmmm, Type C? Are there types A, B, etc.? The Caddy does nothing for me, but it might be nice to have the '66 Bonneville back. We don't really need the Buick or the T-Bird, but I'd buy the Impala just cause I never got one, even though we now have Revell kits that are no doubt much better. 

24 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Hmmmmm, Type C? Are there types A, B, etc.? The Caddy does nothing for me, but it might be nice to have the '66 Bonneville back. We don't really need the Buick or the T-Bird, but I'd buy the Impala just cause I never got one, even though we now have Revell kits that are no doubt much better. 

Type T is just around the corner.  No word on the type B, type W or the type I yet.

1 hour ago, dodgefever said:

These are pretty poor kits in my experience.  The chassis are on a par with '60s promos, which is OK for a curbside model, but the interiors and wheels are generic and lacking detail.

These were Hasegawa's very first car models.  The bodies were supposedly pantographed from Johan and AMT kits and were meant for slot cars.  They tooled up a generic chassis for the bodies afterward.

Got one otw.  Friend of mine who sell models on FB is offering them for $38 plus shipping.   I'm not sure if I can give his name here or not - Wes's model car corner on FB.  We plug other vendors so maybe I won't get in trouble - mods can let me know if I crossed the line.  He used to have a brick and mortar, now works online.  

It still has a pair of Cadillac logos for the front and rear on the decals, along with all the engraved scripts, so I'm not sure how directly effective just skipping the Cadillac on the box would keep GM from chasing after them it they wanted to do so.

Should also be noted to anyone considering this kit, it's molded in Banana Yellow like the box art car. 

Heads up! I just checked the Modelhaus site and it looks like they still have some promo wheels for the '66 Caddy; grab 'em while you can! They're all you need to bring this back to stock on the exterior.

One other thing: I built their '65 Impala back in the '80s and those whitewall inserts started melting in the tires very quickly; you may want to copy them in resin.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2018 at 10:40 AM, dodgefever said:

These are pretty poor kits in my experience.  The chassis are on a par with '60s promos, which is OK for a curbside model, but the interiors and wheels are generic and lacking detail.

I like this series......but I liked them when they were $15!! $50 is a bit steep....even $42 I'll have to think hard. As stated these kits have poor chassis, fair interior with generic dash, no detail just a decal. No engine. I wanted a few but may not.

Billycad.JPG

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

these kits have poor chassis, fair interior with generic dash, no detail just a decal. No engine. I wanted a few but may not.

I suspect this is one of those kits where it's better off to just build it curbside style, but is there a modern era kit which could supply a more accurate chassis? The Cadillac V8 is no sweat thanks to the 1/25 Monogram/Revell '59 Cadillac Eldorado Seville, but I guess things depend upon the actual wheelbase measurement on this 1/24 scale kit. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I suspect this is one of those kits where it's better off to just build it curbside style, but is there a modern era kit which could supply a more accurate chassis? The Cadillac V8 is no sweat thanks to the 1/25 Monogram/Revell '59 Cadillac Eldorado Seville, but I guess things depend upon the actual wheelbase measurement on this 1/24 scale kit. 

It might actually be 1/25. I seem to recall comparing their '66 Bonneville to an MPC and finding they were the same size. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I like the kit's subject, but for what it is it seems very pricey. I guess it all depends on how much you like this body style. The kit it's self remind me of a '50's era AMT kit in it's design. 

I'd say two things to that.  First off, they're not very expensive if you direct import them from Japan yourself vs. paying the ridiculous markup that gets placed on Hasegawa kits in North America.  Secondly I believe the body for this is more or less directly lifted off the Johan kit, which upon a quick glance seems to sell from the $70s for a promo, to well in excess of $120 for the actual kits themselves.  Might be the most effective way to restoring one of those if you have a rebuilder or partial kit lying around that needs a new body/glass/bumpers.

21 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'd say two things to that.  First off, they're not very expensive if you direct import them from Japan yourself vs. paying the ridiculous markup that gets placed on Hasegawa kits in North America.  Secondly I believe the body for this is more or less directly lifted off the Johan kit, which upon a quick glance seems to sell from the $70s for a promo, to well in excess of $120 for the actual kits themselves.  Might be the most effective way to restoring one of those if you have a rebuilder or partial kit lying around that needs a new body/glass/bumpers.

I see your point about the value. I was looking at the pictures of the kit and thinking purely from a building aspect with no particular attachment to the subject.  I can understand if the subject was something that had a great deal of meaning to someone.  

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, Casey said:

The '59 engine isn't correct for a '66.  Cadillac brought out a new V8 in '64, the 472/500 series, and it's quite a bit different from the first series engine.  The Jo-Han '68 convertible was the most recent kit with a usable chassis, but who wants to break up one of those now?  Other than working steering, everything is molded as a unit, and the engine isn't that good.

I was sort of waiting on this reissue, but the body and interior molded in the color scheme of the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile kills it for me.  I'll look around for the earlier issue if I want another one.