Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Charger R/T

mrmike

For many of us, inspiration is the motivation for our next project.  My motivation for my new project comes from television and the Motor Trend Network.  Specifically, from Garage Squad.  A recent episode cronicles the effort of a family that lost their son to a tragic and senseless murder and the father found that even though he owned the car, he would work on it with his sons, but he couldn't venture out to the garage or even look at the car.  And, the car sat in the garage for many years.

The wife, who is feeling the same pain, wanted to get the car running again (and probably to get her husband out of the house) and she sent a video submission to the Producers of the program and the car was added to the Squad's lineup for Season 5, Episode 8.  The father had suffered a series of strokes and deals with diabetes and he was unable to work on the car with the cast of Garage Squad.  One son who was still living at home would work with the cast of Heather Storm, Bruno Massel, Joe Zolper, Cy, Ronny, and the Kingster.  Then, the father wrangled his neighbor, Mr. Rogers into helping with the hope of getting inside information, which Mr. Rogers declined to reveal.

The car was rebuilt and put back on the road with a 440 CID engine with fuel injection and a TorqueFlite 727 automatic transmission, new shifter, new exhaust and tips, new wheels and tires, and a new vinyl roof.  This was all the inspiration I needed to start on this Revell kit, but with a few differences.  Mine will not have a vinyl roof (I hate them), no 440 here, but a 426 CID Hemi with a 4-speed trans, Zimmermanz wheels and tires, and painted with Testors Star Spangled Blue with either a blue or black interior, and maybe a black tail stripe.

More Mopar to come...

70Charger01.JPG

70Charger02.jpg

70Charger03.jpg

Edited by mrmike

What an inspiration. I haven't seen or heard of the show, but definitely sounds like something I am missing. Looking forward to see what you do with this build, Mike. Rock on!

Edited by KWT

Jeremy, Garage Squad has had their fifth season run and repeats are shown here and there throughout the Motor Trend Network.  They film about 10 episodes per season.  I kept this episode on my DVR for future viewing and it's called A Charger Tribute.

Stay tuned everyone!

I spent some time on the Charger yesterday afternoon.  I installed the door side scoops, core support, hood hinges, and added the hood.  I assembled the engine and got it ready for paint.  A partial mockup with the Zimmerman wheels and tires.  This is going to look good!

More to come...

70Charger04.JPG

70Charger05.JPG

70Charger06.JPG

Some progress on the '70 Charger.  I painted the Hemi with Mopar Street Hemi Engine Paint and the chassis and floor pan bottom got a coat of grey primer and then placed in the dehydrator for 4 hours.  While those are in the dehydrator, I washed the hood and body with Dawn detergent.  I painted some engine and suspension parts.

More to come...

70Charger07.JPG

70Charger08.JPG

70Charger09.JPG

The chassis is now complete.  I added overspray which has been difficult with a spray can for me and the front and rear suspensions.  I'll leave the brakes and wheels and tires off until the body and chassis are together.  The Hemi is in progress.  The carbs, fan clutch, and the alternator are being stripped of their chrome with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner.  I have distributors from Parts By Parks and Morgan Automotive Detail to decide on.  Which one will it be?

More to come...

70Charger10.JPG

70Charger11.JPG

70Charger12.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I painted the interior this afternoon with Dupli-Color Light Blue Metallic and tossed everything into the dehydrator for a few hours.  Then, I painted the body, hood, and front valance panel with Testors Star Spangled Blue Lacquer.

More to come...

70Charger13.JPG

70Charger14.JPG

70Charger15.JPG

I'm liking this one very much. The blue is a good color for this one. Looks like it has a bit of purple to it though in that light. Not what I've seen from this color before. Looking forward to your progress.

I'm going to have to order a few of those MAD distributors. Those are what I have been looking for. Someone used to sell the caps with holes for the wires but no wires. Been looking for those again but the ones from MAD look good.

Later-

On 1/20/2019 at 9:01 AM, mrmike said:

I bought those wheels and tires from Steven Zimmerman at the 2018 NNL East show.  He does not have a web site, but he can be contacted through his Face Book page.

Thanks for the info Mike, I guess I'm out lol, I don't do Facebook anymore, got hacked 3 times, I called it quits.:(

13 hours ago, Geno said:

Thanks for the info Mike, I guess I'm out lol, I don't do Facebook anymore, got hacked 3 times, I called it quits.:(

I'm the same. Only took getting hacked once and that was it for me. I'd love to get a set of his wheels for my 58 Vette but it's not worth the FB hassle anymore. Hopefully someday he will come up with another way to sell wheels. Hint....hint....

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Looking good, Mike, loving the color choice :D

I have this kit inmy stash as well, I bought it to eventually build something like the one in this pic (this is a screen shot from one of my Youtube videos from last year, the car was local that day--I haven't seen it since--and I saw it while making a 4 wheeled run in the FJ to the bike dealer where I'd just traded for the bike that's in my avatar pic), I think it'd make a fun build :) 

Dom 1.png

I've been away from the bench for too long, seeing your recent posts (and our short chat) on FB has made me itch to get back to build something :P  Glad to see you're doing well, ol friend! 

Edited by Olskoolrodder