Model Cars Magazine Forum

First detailed look -- Round 2's 1978 Dodge D100 LWB 4x2 Sweptside

tim boyd

On 3/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, Jim B said:

So the release scheduled for April will not have the instrument cluster decals?

I'd rather see instrument clustre decals than some of the other random decals (which are otherwise nice) on the sheet . 

Additionally ; it'd  be nice to see the U.S. Flag situated properly for use on the right-side of the kit ! The Union (the stars) is supposed to be facing-forward ; facing the opposite way means "Retreat !" . And , no , I'm not calling Round2 out on this , as I've seen this on other manufacturers' decal sheets as well (just as I've seen an improperly-situated Union Jack) .

Edited by 1972coronet

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I'd rather see instrument clustre decals than some of the other random decals (which are otherwise nice) on the sheet . 

Additionally ; it'd  be nice to see the U.S. Flag situated properly for use on the right-side of the kit ! The Union (the stars) is supposed to be facing-forward ; facing the opposite way means "Retreat !" . And , no , I'm not calling Round2 out on this , as I've seen this on other manufacturers' decal sheets as well (just as I've seen an improperly-situated Union Jack) .

Board member Ray from the Netherlands designed this set for the Li'l Red Express, which includes cluster dials, maybe just maybe he will design some more decals when the sweptside become available.

78adventurer150lilred.jpg

Edited by Luc Janssens

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm not sure about the Union Jack, but the US Flag does not need to be displayed "in reverse" on the right side of vehicles or uniforms, according to the US Flag Code.  It generally is in US Army Uniforms and USAF & other aircraft to give the impression of the flag streaming backwards was the vehicle moves forward; however, it is not displayed this way on the Boy Scout uniforms or the uniform of the Madison County (NY) Sheriffs Department.  Now, that being said, I do agree with you that the reverse flag on the right side of a vehicle does look better; and I would prefer that model companies provided it on their decal sheets if the flag is provided.

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎15 at 5:11 PM, tim boyd said:

the Dodge decals at the center right also include a white version left of the blue Dodge logo....

DSC 0414

Now we need someone to make this decal... :P

enzo1042_zpsa161040d.JPG

Edited by mk11

On 3/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Board member Ray from the Netherlands designed this set for the Li'l Red Express, which includes cluster dials, maybe just maybe he will design some more decals when the sweptside become available.

78adventurer150lilred.jpg

Holy cow those are nice. How does one get ahold of this guy to get a set?

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎18 at 7:57 AM, Jim B said:

What's a Fargo?  Is that what this truck was called in Canada?

It was sold by the Plymouth-Chrysler dealers here. Dodge dealers dealt their own cars and trucks. This paralleled GM's practice of selling Chev trucks at the chev dealers and GMC trucks at the Pontiac-Buick dealers in north america, and Ford dealers selling Ford trucks and Lincoln-Mercury dealers handling Mercury trucks in Canada (until 1968). The last year Fargos were marketed was 1972.

More info on wiki and at allpar.com.

mike

Edited by mk11

On 17-3-2019 at 7:04 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Oh I will, absolutely! Been wanting them to release a sweptside kit so I could do some proper 1/25th scale sets other than the Li'l Red and Midnite Express sets(and the Warlock and Warlock II I still have to whip up). So far I've got plans to do the '78 Power Wagon Macho with the twin dark yellow stripes, the regular D-100 that emulates the bottom chrome-black-chrome strip running along the bottom quarter and I wanna extend on the dash designs with the silver one and adding the set of Volts & Vacuum dials that replaces the clock on some trim. Just to cover the bases!

And if anyone has any other ideas, by all means. Hell, with enough free time I reckon I could even do that Top Hand Truck version.

When I saw the first pictures of this kit, I was very happy to see it being released. I've wanted to build one of these '70s Dodge Long Bed Pickups in Showroom Stock condition for a long time. Now it looks like it's going to be possible. The kit even comes with steelies and dog dish hubcaps, which is great news so I don't have to find them anywhere else. And of course, thanks Tim for a good review!

4 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Would of been nice if the tooled up a step bumper, but, those steelies, I am guessing they are ones that are used in the 78 Monaco kits...

The Dodge hub caps from Chief Joseph or Missing Link are a legitimate replacement . Just paint 'em flat aluminium (as the fleet hub caps were from c.1975-c.1978) , and you're good to go . Barring that ; the Plymouth hub caps from the aforementioned will be correct , as starting with the 1975 calendar year , Dodge and Plymouth hub caps became "generic" ( no 'PLYMOUTH' nor 'Tri-Star' with red ring Dodge ; just a plain centre) .

** ADDENDUM **

Here's a page right out of Hamtramck Historical 1978 Plymouth Sportsman ( B-Van ) showing the hub caps ; same applies to Dodge and D/W pickups : 78_Sportsman_0006.jpg

Edited by 1972coronet

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

The Dodge hub caps from Chief Joseph or Missing Link are a legitimate replacement . Just paint 'em flat aluminium (as the fleet hub caps were from c.1975-c.1978) , and you're good to go . Barring that ; the Plymouth hub caps from the aforementioned will be correct , as starting with the 1975 calendar year , Dodge and Plymouth hub caps became "generic" ( no 'PLYMOUTH' nor 'Tri-Star' with red ring Dodge ; just a plain centre) .

** ADDENDUM **

Here's a page right out of Hamtramck Historical 1978 Plymouth Sportsman ( B-Van ) showing the hub caps ; same applies to Dodge and D/W pickups : 78_Sportsman_0006.jpg

Thank for that info John,    very informative , can those steelies be used on the MPC Bad Company 82 van?(period correct)

Edited by martinfan5

This shows the new Dodge D100 hubcaps (right) and a new parts tree, vs. the hub caps in the MPC 1978 Dodge Monaco Police car kits. Clearly the new hub caps come from a different mold.DSC 0462

The Police Car kit hubcaps at the left are similar, but look closely and it becomes evident that the pseudo "bolt" details on that parts tree are not anywhere nearly as clearly defined as hey are on the newly tooled hubcaps at right.

DSC 0464

One more view of the Police Car kit hubcaps at left vs. the newly tooled hub caps ar right.

DSC 0463

Interestingly, the old MPC Police car hubcaps on the left look more like the information posted by John above from the truck brochure, than do the newly tooled hubcaps on the right....

Thanks guys for the added info.....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd