Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mod Rod '29 Ford Roadster

gwolf

Hey all,

The ideas have been in my head for a while, so I was glad when I finally made some time last night to get started on a few projects.

The first project is the '29 Ford Roadster I'm building for the Mid-Atlantic NNL theme, The Race of Gentlemen. I'll be building it from the AMT Mod Rod / Model A '29 Ford kit.

AMT1002-2.jpg.4aa65a53952cfe35547557a249f0b499.jpg

As I've been learning more about Model A's and looking through photos of them online I came across a variation I had not seen before, where the fenders and running board are removed, but the skirt (not sure of the actual name) is left intact as in the photo below. 

IMG_5677.jpg.06e31d05c9454b0f02b19d22b48e9c7b.jpg

Before.thumb.jpg.58e221af6f39f5282f3868fe4e1d924c.jpg

I marked out the areas that would need to be removed with a sharpie and began cutting. The plastic on the newer, Chinese made kits is thinner than the older, USA made kits in my opinion, and was pretty easy to cut through. I used an Exacto blade and scored the straight lines and the curve behind the front fenders. I used nippers to cut out sections so that when I pulled them apart from the main fender assembly it didn't tear off larger areas than I wanted.

After.thumb.jpg.9f7bc93f8a2589644654e89f97a5685a.jpg

Based on the photo of the 1:1 '29 Ford, I made sure to cut out the flat vertical areas behind the rear fenders as well. A little trimming and sanding made a big difference and balanced out the appearance on both sides (not shown). I'll trim out the fork area and radiator mount next.  I'm happy with the progress I made and it's a good start to this project.

Edited by gwolf

Great project. Seems to me that the skirts may have been left, so that the stock body mounts could continue to be used. I like the look, especially as it's still on the model A chassis and not a duece like most folks want.

I'll be following.

Thanks Rob. I like the look, too. Something different for a change.

I'll use the '29 model A chassis on this one, but I have a plan you'll either love or hate for another build. Ever built that piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Revell '34 Ford Roadster kit?

1111824-35431-75-720.jpg.a8242c98c5320622912aacc6486af2ee.jpg

I bought a few of them cheap at a flea market but I lost all the parts except the body, interior, hood, trunk, and grill. I'm going to try stuffing a '32 Model A chassis under it. I'll post that tonight probably.

I'm planning on participating in that NNL Mid Atlantic TROG theme myself ! ( subject matter was in my wheelhouse when I re-entered the model building hobby back in the 90s. ) I like your start here...the cut off point for bodies and chassis for TROG vehicles is 1935.  Be advised...after studying TROG rules online and gazing at hundreds of photos of Wildwood NJ and Pismo Beach Cal events....motors and speed equipment are limited to pre-1953. And future TROG entries now have to have roll bars...which purists seem to have an objection to...but safety concerns have caught up to the event. 

Edited by styromaniac

10 hours ago, gwolf said:

As I've been learning more about Model A's and looking through photos of them online I came across a variation I had not seen before, where the fenders and running board are removed, but the skirt (not sure of the actual name) is left intact as in the photo below. 

IMG_5677.jpg.06e31d05c9454b0f02b19d22b48e9c7b.jpg

the side "skirts" are Called Splash Aprons from the factory. Back in the 40s, it was very common to see hot rod Model As still have them on with the fenders removed due to fender laws . Most would drive to the lake bed, pull the fenders and race. you need to pull the body to remove the them

The roadster you posted the photo of is owned by my friends Eli And  Lisa English

Edited by chris chabre

On 4/5/2019 at 5:21 PM, styromaniac said:

I'm planning on participating in that NNL Mid Atlantic TROG theme myself ! ( subject matter was in my wheelhouse when I re-entered the model building hobby back in the 90s. ) I like your start here...the cut off point for bodies and chassis for TROG vehicles is 1935.  Be advised...after studying TROG rules online and gazing at hundreds of photos of Wildwood NJ and Pismo Beach Cal events....motors and speed equipment are limited to pre-1953. And future TROG entries now have to have roll bars...which purists seem to have an objection to...but safety concerns have caught up to the event. 

Hey Steve! Man, I hate that roll bar rule... But let's see how many follow it at the show.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, chris chabre said:

the side "skirts" are Called Splash Aprons from the factory. Back in the 40s, it was very common to see hot rod Model As still have them on with the fenders removed due to fender laws . Most would drive to the lake bed, pull the fenders and race. you need to pull the body to remove the them

The roadster you posted the photo of is owned by my friends Eli And  Lisa English

That's your friends car? That is cool, tell them that's where I got my inspiration from!

Update:

Didn't get much done this weekend, but did get to spend a few minutes working on it.

2.thumb.jpg.e6d6ed9c409bf91e646217b0808c05cf.jpg 

I initially kept the top part with the radiator mount, but decided I don't need it.

1.thumb.jpg.035463b76bd2bbb165a0e2edaeb8b558.jpg

The splash aprons are cleaning up nicely!

Edited by gwolf

On 4/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, gwolf said:

Thanks Rob. I like the look, too. Something different for a change.

I'll use the '29 model A chassis on this one, but I have a plan you'll either love or hate for another build. Ever built that piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Revell '34 Ford Roadster kit?

That looks like it's the Lil John Butteras kit. They are known for being out of scale, too small. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

That looks like it's the Lil John Butteras kit. They are known for being out of scale, too small. Good luck.

The Lil John Buttera T Sedan kit (bottom right on combo kit pictured above) is actually pretty nice, and to my understanding accurate. But when Revell tried to fit a 34 Ford body on the much smaller T chassis, that is what made that 34 kit highly inaccurate. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The Lil John Buttera T Sedan kit (bottom right on combo kit pictured above) is actually pretty nice, and to my understanding accurate. But when Revell tried to fit a 34 Ford body on the much smaller T chassis, that is what made that 34 kit highly inaccurate. 

Yes. That is my understanding as well. I had the 34 coupe and it was not good for much.