Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Hot Wheels Trans Am Camaro

Rich Chernosky

Got the urge to finish something and find this lurking in the stash. Body was actually painted and decaled in 2009. Had to do the decals twice as the side decal was all one piece and it wrinkled badly. Stripped it down and painted the white on second time around. Cut the Hot Wheel graphics away  and applied them seperately. Still has to clear coat the whole car which I don't usually do over decals. Color is Gunze HH15 airbrushed. Chassis on these Revell kits are quite detailed. Added engine wiring and a few other detail. Made the wheels poseable which is one of my pet peeves. This car was driven to two Trans Am championships in a row by Jack Baldwin in 1991-92.

DSC06430.JPG.cd0289d32252be15b22251774a771f31.JPGLots of detail painting here, note the chrome exhaust pipe tip made from antenna tubing.DSC06434.JPG.7811672de8202579db17c051022dd42e.JPGThe office where all the action takes place. DSC06438.JPG.28739d210a2ddc4c4d5bfba5c13aa9d5.JPGNote the two small pins in each of the body lower corners. This is #28 guage wire drilled through the body into the chassis.This was necessary to keep the body on and keep it aligned. 

DSC06436.JPG

DSC06437.JPG

1 hour ago, Deathgoblin said:

I've got one of these and ran into the same issues on the decals.  One of these days I need to get another set and redo it.  Yours looks awesome.  :)  Great job!

I found another set on Ebay and when I opend the package there were two sets in there. If you want my extra set let me know. I have no use for it. 

3 hours ago, Scalper said:

Nice work .. I have 2 of these in my stash  one I Started ages ago and a glue bomb 

yours looks great. I always thought these where really cook kits. 

I have two others in my stash too. What really helps is what you learn on the first one makes the last two go a lot easier. The others I have are the Scott Sharp Rain-X and the Ron Fellows Sunoco. I just bought a 1/18 Diecast of the Fellows car and they will look nice together. 

13 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

I have two others in my stash too. What really helps is what you learn on the first one makes the last two go a lot easier. The others I have are the Scott Sharp Rain-X and the Ron Fellows Sunoco. I just bought a 1/18 Diecast of the Fellows car and they will look nice together. 

Never seen the Ron Fellows one . One of my favorite drivers 

Great Looking model. I really like all eras of the Trans-Am series. Would be very interesting to see an evolutions of Trans Am Camaros over the last 50+ years. It seems like after a number of lack lustre seasons,  the series is really doing well again.