Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Bel Air

minkos

Very well done! I have seen other modelers archieve nice results for that kind of "metallic interior" look by using Tamiya Pearl Clear but your method definitely worked out nicely too!

On 13.5.2019 at 3:58 PM, MrObsessive said:

I tried your decal trick with a stillborn '55 Ford Victoria for the trunk pattern years ago and yes, that works quite well if you can get the resolution sharp enough.

Will you reveal the "decal trick" to the others too? Is a about using printouts for patterns? :unsure:

On 5/16/2019 at 7:05 AM, Tommy124 said:

Very well done! I have seen other modelers archieve nice results for that kind of "metallic interior" look by using Tamiya Pearl Clear but your method definitely worked out nicely too!

Will you reveal the "decal trick" to the others too? Is a about using printouts for patterns? :unsure:

Sorry it's taken a bit to get back to you. Sometimes I can read the forum at work and reply...........this was not one of those weeks! :o When i get home in the morning depending on how the night went, I browse the board to see what's up. This was one of those weeks I hope doesn't repeat itself for a loooong time and I was so glad when Friday at 7:30 AM rolled around!

OK...........I don't have pics to show what was done, but I'll try to explain what I did. This will involve a bit of computer work so for those of you out there that are the faint of heart when it comes to computers and manipulating pics, this may not be for you.

On the 'net I tried to find the highest resolution pic I could find of the '55 Ford's "Burtex" type pattern. I don't remember where I found it, but I came across a very large pic of that pattern and saved it. I then went into my pic program (an old Paint Shop Pro) and resized the pic down to maybe 85-100 pixels or so.

I then put the pic on my desktop and had it displayed as 'tiled' so that all you saw on the desktop was that pattern. I hit the print screen button and then opened up my Wordpad program. Hit Ctrl/V and the image showed up there. I then saved the image as a .jpg file on my hard disc. I turned on my printer and then printed out that pattern on regular paper to what I had and SHAZAM!.............. I had the pattern I needed. Now this took several tries to get the look I wanted and as I said, your results will vary. This will depend on how good your printer, paper and how sharp a resolution you were able to get the pic in the first place.

Hope this helps! Many times I don't express in detail what I do, I just go ahead and do it and I don't always translate that well into thought. ;)

On 18.5.2019 at 10:06 AM, MrObsessive said:

Hope this helps! Many times I don't express in detail what I do, I just go ahead and do it and I don't always translate that well into thought.

Thanks for the explanation, Bill. I have used a similar method for getting small logos etc. and as you said, the outcome depends on the original resolution and the printer's quality. For some of those things printed out on normal paper I have found it helpful to "seal" it with self-adhesive transparent foil, the stuff that is used to protect book covers.