Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'd like to see pics of chrome tail lights you detailed with a red Sharpie

Got a '65 Galaxie with chromed tail lights that I'd like to improve as much as possible. I know a lot of you are using markers for various details, and I'd like to see how well they cover and what the overall shade looks like. 

I did video on my Youtube channel about using Sharpie's for lights,  and I did side by side comparison to clear red paint and the Sharpie looked more real and just better.  Now, the clear red paint was brushed on , Id imagine that spraying /air brushing it on would yield a little bit better results but I am still giving the win to the Sharpie

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

I did video on my Youtube channel about using Sharpie's for lights,  and I did side by side comparison to clear red paint and the Sharpie looked more real and just better.  Now, the clear red paint was brushed on , Id imagine that spraying /air brushing it on would yield a little bit better results but I am still giving the win to the Sharpie

Sounds interesting. Link?

Tom, thanks for the pic and info.  Looks like ya nailed it.

Martinfan5, your video was informative.  I had no idea Sharpie made a tangerine marker.  That, in addition to their orange and red, means more accurate detailing options.   

The right taillight on this (glue bomb rescue) Elky was scratchbuilt from a clear plastic Walmart blueberry container, colored with Red Sharpie inside and out--no paint at all. I think it looks pretty good. 

I've used Red Sharpie for taillights on my diecasts and several kits and been very happy with the results. I'll probably be doing it on another diecast this weekend. 

68ElCamino30.jpg.8a6493bb4c375f48f42e387f84dc4914.jpg

• 3 months later...

One of my modeling tips is to use Sharpies, both standard and fine tip for detail and touch up.  The black fine tip is great for detailing grilles as the tip fits the recesses perfectly
  Also use a silver marker for chrome trim,  although not perfect it's quick and easy. good enough for me.
orange for turn signals, red for taillights
black for wiper blades and touch up, gold for carburetors.  You get the picture
Apply the markers after spraying with glosscoat to prevent running.

And use multiple applications.  Apply and let dry a few minutes.  Apply another coat.   Repeat as necessary.  If I'm doing clear plastic lenses, I usually do both sides.   Chromw lights will need a couple applications for sure to get the color dark enough.

I use Sharpie's all the time, bronze, Aluminum. brass colors for metal parts and window trim, along with blue or red over valve covers and such to give a brighter than anodized look. Along with the application of using them on tail lights and side markers and front turn lights..