Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Dodge D100 Utiline

Here is my latest finished model, the old MPC kit (this in the AMT/Ertl release of the Little Red Express from 2003). I started building on it last fall, wanted to finish it before the new release of the D100 kit hit the shelfes. As usual, things take time?
I'm now calling it done.

I built it as a standard D100 utiline, the color is similar to what one could get on these back in the day but it is a Ford Platinum Mettallic that was used on European Ford around 2005/06. I did at first want this to be a 74 model as I had a resin cast grille for that but I messed up the paint on that so I went for the 78 grille out of the box. I did drill out the headlights and found some suitable glass for it in my partsbox, also found som headlight bezels to go with it. The rear bumper is from the AMT 78 Ford pickup in the Big Foot issue.
The driver is from the MPC 75 Dodge Dart, I also added some old magazines to the inside. This guy is reading and driving at the sametime maybe....

Looks like he has been off somewhere to get a "new" engine for his Cadillac project. It will probably run just fine?

The truck was polished up and nice and shiny but the guy drove it on some dirt roads so it got a little dusty from that. The engine is strapped to the pallet but the pallet it not strapped to the bed, let's hope he does not need to do any emergency manouvers on his way home.

There is no detailing under the hood as the engine is incorrect and the enginebay is lacking in details. I fixed up a singlepipe exhaust from scrap items and found a couple of leafsprings for the back but it still is too high with that big caddie motor in the back. The wheels are a mix and match from different kits. Rims are from the trailer in the Fireball 500 kit, tires are from a Jeep CJ5 and the hubcaps comes from Sheriff Roscos police car.

The mirrors are from the kit but with new brackets that I made from brass rod. I also added chains to the tailgate. The Caddillac engine comes from a Lee 1958 Caddy kit, a horror kit that has been placed in the great plastic bin in the sky.

I tried to shoot some pictures in the let's say not optimal lighting conditions, not the best but they will do for now.

I notice now that I forgot to drill up the end of the exhaust pipe and add some black to it....oh well...maybe later?

IMG_3110-vi.jpg

IMG_3112-vi.jpg

IMG_3116-vi.jpg

IMG_3117-vi.jpg

IMG_3118-vi.jpg

IMG_3119-vi.jpg

IMG_3120-vi.jpg

IMG_3123-vi.jpg

IMG_3124-vi.jpg

IMG_3157-vi.jpg

IMG_3162-vi.jpg

IMG_3165-vi.jpg

IMG_3171-vi.jpg

IMG_3172-vi.jpg

IMG_3173-vi.jpg

Great build! Very authentic, the way many  looked back in the day, doing one of its daily chores in style. Great choice of color and trim level and tires and wheels. The stance is perfect, not to low, not to high, and all 4  wheels  are placed perfectly in all 4 fenders.

6 hours ago, Atmobil said:

Here is my latest finished model, the old MPC kit (this in the AMT/Ertl release of the Little Red Express from 2003). I started building on it last fall, wanted to finish it before the new release of the D100 kit hit the shelfes. As usual, things take time?
I'm now calling it done.

I built it as a standard D100 utiline, the color is similar to what one could get on these back in the day but it is a Ford Platinum Mettallic that was used on European Ford around 2005/06. I did at first want this to be a 74 model as I had a resin cast grille for that but I messed up the paint on that so I went for the 78 grille out of the box. I did drill out the headlights and found some suitable glass for it in my partsbox, also found som headlight bezels to go with it. The rear bumper is from the AMT 78 Ford pickup in the Big Foot issue.
The driver is from the MPC 75 Dodge Dart, I also added some old magazines to the inside. This guy is reading and driving at the sametime maybe....

Looks like he has been off somewhere to get a "new" engine for his Cadillac project. It will probably run just fine?

The truck was polished up and nice and shiny but the guy drove it on some dirt roads so it got a little dusty from that. The engine is strapped to the pallet but the pallet it not strapped to the bed, let's hope he does not need to do any emergency manouvers on his way home.

There is no detailing under the hood as the engine is incorrect and the enginebay is lacking in details. I fixed up a singlepipe exhaust from scrap items and found a couple of leafsprings for the back but it still is too high with that big caddie motor in the back. The wheels are a mix and match from different kits. Rims are from the trailer in the Fireball 500 kit, tires are from a Jeep CJ5 and the hubcaps comes from Sheriff Roscos police car.

The mirrors are from the kit but with new brackets that I made from brass rod. I also added chains to the tailgate. The Caddillac engine comes from a Lee 1958 Caddy kit, a horror kit that has been placed in the great plastic bin in the sky.

I tried to shoot some pictures in the let's say not optimal lighting conditions, not the best but they will do for now.

I notice now that I forgot to drill up the end of the exhaust pipe and add some black to it....oh well...maybe later?

IMG_3110-vi.jpg

IMG_3112-vi.jpg

IMG_3116-vi.jpg

IMG_3117-vi.jpg

IMG_3118-vi.jpg

IMG_3119-vi.jpg

IMG_3120-vi.jpg

IMG_3123-vi.jpg

IMG_3124-vi.jpg

IMG_3157-vi.jpg

IMG_3162-vi.jpg

IMG_3165-vi.jpg

IMG_3171-vi.jpg

IMG_3172-vi.jpg

IMG_3173-vi.jpg

Fantastic!!!!

22 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very nice looking truck.  "Clean" build, I like it.

20 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Great build! Very authentic, the way many  looked back in the day, doing one of its daily chores in style. Great choice of color and trim level and tires and wheels. The stance is perfect, not to low, not to high, and all 4  wheels  are placed perfectly in all 4 fenders.

17 hours ago, restoman said:

That is very nice! 

16 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Fantastic!!!!

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Great build,really like how your weathered engine looks realistic...

9 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

7 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Nice build.

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Well done. What's your trick for the chrome headlights?

I first removed the kit chrome from the grille using sodium hydroxide and I painted the bare plastic grille with a two part "Chrome effect" that is less chrome and more aluminium in it's finish. I drilled out the headlights and replaced them with headlights of the same size from the scrapbox (not sure what kit they came from) I also added reflectors to the back of the lenses. I think they are custom headlights from some kit but they fit perfectly behind the lenses in the grille. I also painted a small black line around the lenses to make it look like separate parts like the fullscale versions are.

One can also make headlightlenses from the kit part by first making a mold with silicone and then using laminating epoxy (that is clear) in the mold. I tried to do this but I have not had enough practice at it so I used the once from the scrap box instead.

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Looks great.

10 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Cool looking truck. When I was a kid, I recall seeing a lot of these as my father owned the body shop attached to the local Dodge dealership.

Thank you all very much?

On 8/18/2019 at 9:30 PM, LouO said:

Very, very nice ! Nice crisp photo too!

On 8/19/2019 at 12:44 AM, oldcarfan said:

Great work! With the reissue of the originial MPC Dodge long bed, here's hoping they issue a step side kit that can be built as a low level truck.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, peekay said:

Excellent job, very realistic!

23 hours ago, Scalper said:

Nice I like it.  nice work. 

21 hours ago, alexis said:

Great Build. I can hear it now. Your weathering job is great.

Thank you all.
I'm also hoping for a reissue of a low level Utiline. Maybe round 2 could throw in the slant six from the Lindberg kits?