Model Cars Magazine Forum

Window Seals

21 hours ago, ewetwo said:

What would happen if you put a black sharpie along the very edge. Would that radiate into the edge of the clear plastic to give the same look?

Ive done this several times with good results. Takes a couple coats to get the black look, one coat and its look purple

Often the BMF is too wide on models around the windows and does need a black background that looks like rubber as posted above. I just wonder if there is some narrow metal strips that could be used to make the metal window seals which could be glued on top of some semi gloss black painted window surrounds. That would look more real I believe, but curves might be a problem. Especially seems true with 50's/60's European sports/ GT cars.

17 hours ago, James2 said:

This product does not work at all!

I must be doing something wrong then ... this was built over 20 years ago and hasn't come loose a bit. It was used for ALL black trim on this. It does require more care than the chrome.

image.png.5c2f8a00515f8466e92f73d3ef2ad456.png

image.png.42b3fbfb2bad4a4083f4a31df63e90ef.png

image.png.7bb411ad0e150ef3f9ec84761d1e6e99.png

1 hour ago, Foxer said:

this was built over 20 years ago and hasn't come loose a bit. It was used for ALL black trim on this. It does require more care than the chrome.

As you said, 20 years ago... Given the changes that have been made even to the standard chrome foil over the years (not all of which were for the better), it's possible that the black foil was actually better than. Nowadays, it's a thickish stuff that looks like what it is - silver foil painted with a black layer - and doesn't stick or cut well. At least in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

The sign vinyl is slightly thinner - if you get the high performance cast version.   Might work if you have tolerances.  The HP vinyl conforms better than a cheaper "calendared" vinyl as well.  A graphics shop might even give you some scrap for free.  And we all like free.   

On 9/30/2019 at 8:33 AM, randyc said:

The sign vinyl is slightly thinner - if you get the high performance cast version.   Might work if you have tolerances.  The HP vinyl conforms better than a cheaper "calendared" vinyl as well.  A graphics shop might even give you some scrap for free.  And we all like free.   

I’m gonna pick some up I think and experiment  - you can get a sheet (enough for probably 10 cars) for a couple of bucks on eBay and cut some out on my cutter.  Could even make them with curved edges so they just attach right to the outside of the glass

Black BMF.... take favorite entire sheet of regular BMF, spray it whatever shade of black. 
Results- black BMF, that will stick better then their black store bought stuff.

Edited by Jon Cole

On 10/3/2019 at 8:43 PM, Jon Cole said:

Black BMF.... take favorite entire sheet of regular BMF, spray it whatever shade of black. 
Results- black BMF, that will stick better then their black store bought stuff.

Sounds like you have to burnish it very gently. Paint usually comes of the metal foil rather easily.

On 10/7/2019 at 9:40 PM, peteski said:

Sounds like you have to burnish it very gently. Paint usually comes of the metal foil rather easily.

Minor rub thru on edges is possible, but easy to touch up. I have used this technique for a long time with much satisfaction.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, Jon Cole said:

Minor rub thru on edges is possible, but easy to touch up. I have used this technique for a long time with much satisfaction.

Thanks, this will be tried out. I imagine success might depend on the the type of color that will be used (enamel, acrylic...).

Btw, I've used a similar technique by painting plain masking tape and cutting it to size.

Chevelle.JPG.9740dac3076d7e3208920c725f5892ea.JPG