Model Cars Magazine Forum

Metallic paint for an interior?

I need to paint an interior in a '68 Camaro in possibly a metallic paint.  The body will be Grotto Blue and the interior is a metallic darker blue.  A friend suggested I use Chevrolet LeMans Blue metallic for the interior.  It seems to be a good match.  However on the small sample I sprayed the metallic looks like it might be out of scale for an interior.  I sprayed some Testors Acryl semi gloss on the LeMans Blue sample but it dulls the deep color.  

Has anyone who used a metallic paint on an interior have any suggestions for a clear coat?

Since the LeMans Blue is lacquer basecoat maybe I should just use it with no clear.

Would I be better off just using a non-metallic paint?  

(33).jpg

(36).jpg

Edited by crowe-t

35 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I use metallics on interiors all the time. Sometimes I dull coat them with regular Testors dull coat bit not always, depends on the paint.

Here's the last couple I did , you'll have to decide for yourself if it's the look you're going for.

IMG 2480

What paint did you use on this one?  Is it lacquer?  I really like how it looks.

Is this one sprayed with Testors Dull Coat?

Do you use the Testors Dull Coat in the spray can or the Dull Coat in the bottle for airbrushing?  I never used Testors Dull Coat so I don't know if the spray can and the bottle are exactly the same stuff.

Edited by crowe-t

One trick that I used to use quite often was to spray a very light mist coat of Ceramcoat acrylic pearl over the interior after it was painted.

You should still be able to pick up this pearl craft paint at most craft stores like Hobby Lobby.

It has extremely fine metallic particles and can be used over any kind of paint that you like.

1960 Chrysler New Yorker

2v2J4dPGdxwUbWP.jpg

1959 Pontiac Bonneville

2v2J4y8VCxwUbWP.jpg

1961 Buick Invicta

2v2uTRqk5xwUbWP.jpg

Steve

In the case of this 1967 Ford Galaxie interior, I used Testors gold acrylic with a dab of green added for the lighter color and Duplicolor metallic dark green for the darker.

The dark green was dull coated, but the light green was left alone.

So you see, there are multiple ways to skin a cat. ;)

2v2EQ5HM8xwUbWP.jpg

Steve

Just like Steve stated above, unless I'm doing a white or black interior I usually use metallics.   

If the look is a little too shiny, I'll apply a light coat or two of Testors dullcoat out of the can.

On this '68 Camaro I used Testors Nassau Blue lacquer.  I'm not sure how accurate it is when compared to the factory color; I was aiming for something that harmonized with the body color.   Most of the Testors lacquers dry to a semi-flat finish that doesn't require any top coat.

007 (2).JPG

008.JPG

052 (2).jpg

I've had some luck with Dupli-Color metallic paints. The flake size is fairly small and very consistent.

I painted this interior with Dupli-Color Medium Quasar Metallic and Medium Maui Blue Metallic.

It's an old photo but it should be good enough to convey the impression.

63Chevy11.thumb.jpg.d0960f94bfa96a26d08261b46d40524d.jpg

Let me know if you'd like the paint numbers and I'll upload a snap of the labels.

David G.

10 hours ago, crowe-t said:

What paint did you use on this one?  Is it lacquer?  I really like how it looks.

Is this one sprayed with Testors Dull Coat?

Do you use the Testors Dull Coat in the spray can or the Dull Coat in the bottle for airbrushing?  I never used Testors Dull Coat so I don't know if the spray can and the bottle are exactly the same stuff.

This one is from Scale Finishes. I think it's lacquer but they sell both so I'm not really sure.  ,, but it doesn't craze the plastic .

It wasn't clear coated this time as it has about the sheen I wanted for a vinyl look. I usually use a flat dullcoat if I want a cloth look and a semi gloss clear for a vinyl or leather look. Testors spray from the can.

The paint I tried is base coat lacquer from Gravity Colors so it sort of needs a clear coat.  I guess I can use it without the clear.  I tried using Testors Acryl acrylic semi gloss clear but it has an almost cloudy appearance over the lacquer.  

I never used Testors Dull Cote but since it's lacquer it shouldn't have a cloudy appearance.

Does Testors Dull Cote get yellow over time.  A while ago someone told me it can yellow.  I mainly use Gunze Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Clear Gloss for car bodies.  Mr. Super Clear also comes in a flat clear.  Would that be the same as the Testors Dull Cote?

39 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

Does Testors Dull Cote get yellow over time.  A while ago someone told me it can yellow.  I mainly use Gunze Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Clear Gloss for car bodies.  Mr. Super Clear also comes in a flat clear.  Would that be the same as the Testors Dull Cote?

Testors Dullcote will not yellow.

It's a lacquer.

The only Testors clear that yellows badly over time to my knowledge is the enamel clear.

Steve

Try to find a similar color in the duplicolor rattle can. Most of them are designed to have a clear topcoat. But it left as painted will be a satin sheen to it . You just have to find one thats a pearl type finish to avoid the really big metallic