Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cross Kit General Lee.....ish

mustang1989

I'm building this one as part of a Group Build that I've got going on elsewhere.  I'll start with an MPC General Lee kit which I'll be using bits and pieces from to include decals and the parts necessary to make this a General Lee. It's not going to be a completely genuine "Lee 1" build as I'll be making it an R/T and changing some things up here and there. I also want to say that although this will be decked out with all the decals that came on the GL that I'm not going to be centering my build on that which causes alot of stir up. I'll be concentrating on the build itself rather than any politics surrounding it.

I merely enjoyed the show as a kid and even built a GL when I was in the 6th grade. It didn't turn out the way I'd hoped but I get a second chance to build a car that I've always wanted to build since then.

I picked this kit up for $10 at the last show I went to in San Antonio back in February:

D3fS1d.jpg

90% of the build will be from this kit which is a far better offering than the MPC version ever thought about being and I picked it up from an Austin Show in 2015 for $10 as well:

8RbDO4.jpg

nd to put a little bit of a spin on this car to get it to look the way I want it to look I'll be using the wider wheels from the AMT Eckler Corvette

s-l1600.jpg

6 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Looking good Joe, great car and great program , we all love the General Lee !

Thanks Martin. Always had interest in this car. Hell.....I grew up with her.

Found the paint that I want to use. I've been eyeballing this color anyways because I've seen a few of the newer Chargers painted this color and I have developed a liking to it.

Here we are all cleaned up and primed. Still gotta do a teeny bit of sanding but it went on really smooth:

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Martin. Always had interest in this car. Hell.....I grew up with her.

Found the paint that I want to use. I've been eyeballing this color anyways because I've seen a few of the newer Chargers painted this color and I have developed a liking to it.

Here we are all cleaned up and primed. Still gotta do a teeny bit of sanding but it went on really smooth:

The Go Mango paint would look perfect on this Charger. The color is a little lighter shade than the old General was. I have used it on a couple of other builds and found that a White primer will make it a little brighter. Try some spoons or scrap spruce and see which way you prefer. 

Thanks Dave and Bill!! 

Managed to dispense and apply the paint. This stuff went on really good and I like the shade of color. I'll start the wet sanding process in a few days to smooth everything out that much more before I start with the decaling and clear coats. We'll be using the "Wet Look" clear on this one so it'll really pop.

KdmBSF.jpg

lzJl5v.jpg

yBGQdy.jpg

22 hours ago, espo said:

Looking at the picture I thought you had already polished it. My last build with this paint was  a '56 Chevy sedan delivery street rod. I do like this color. 

Thanks Dave! No sir...no polish as of yet. I agree with you on the color.

I spent a lot of time wet sanding the imperfections out of the paint and then applying Bare Metal Foil around all the window trim and drip rails and today...the decals. Here's a couple of shots of how it sits now. Still got the flag decal coated with Microsol to help it all lay flat onto the roofline. Had a couple of areas on the edges where it didn't want to lay down flush. Now to let the cals dry and then off to the gloss coat....my favorite part.

OSVe26.jpg

B6HVES.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

Today was Gloss Coat day soooo......I broke out the Testors "Wet Look" Clear ….the ONLY way to go for supreme gloss finishes in my experience. I dispensed it into a paint jar, let 'er gas out for about 5 minutes while I was removing whatever dust particles I could find on the body and went to work.

Couldn't be happier with the results. Now...……..to let it cure out for a little while before a nice wet sanding and polishing.

UrFPmE.jpg

8tmAEc.jpg

q6Xvcq.jpg

Edited by mustang1989