Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cross Kit General Lee.....ish

mustang1989

7 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

LOL, and the harsh truth i share sometimes, lol

LOL!!! 

I'm to the point that I'm now working on the grille/ front end of this bad boy. I can't really fit anything into the engine bay as far as the radiator core support (which has now been extensively modified to fit. Don't ask folks....I really don't know what happened with the fit of everything up front. All parts were test fitted prior to even painting and it all fit perfect. Now ...the front fenders have to be spread in the front some to get the brace and hood to fit. Weird.

As far as the grille goes, there's some more mods that I'm doing. Looks like the inserts from the MPC kit turned around backwards fit perfectly in the openings that I cut out of the grille. I've still got some filling and sanding to do to get rid of those nasty ejector pin marks but that's not really a worry of mine. I cut the PE grille inserts out and test fitted. Looks like it's all a "go" at this point. One more side to go...…..

2phuUC.jpg

MwXoev.jpg

kmfTH6.jpg

4 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

LOL!!! 

I'm to the point that I'm now working on the grille/ front end of this bad boy. I can't really fit anything into the engine bay as far as the radiator core support (which has now been extensively modified to fit. Don't ask folks....I really don't know what happened with the fit of everything up front. All parts were test fitted prior to even painting and it all fit perfect. Now ...the front fenders have to be spread in the front some to get the brace and hood to fit. Weird.

As far as the grille goes, there's some more mods that I'm doing. Looks like the inserts from the MPC kit turned around backwards fit perfectly in the openings that I cut out of the grille. I've still got some filling and sanding to do to get rid of those nasty ejector pin marks but that's not really a worry of mine. I cut the PE grille inserts out and test fitted. Looks like it's all a "go" at this point. One more side to go...…..

2phuUC.jpg

MwXoev.jpg

kmfTH6.jpg

Thats looking FANTASTIC, bud!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 3:39 PM, Dann Tier said:

Nice!

Thanks Dann.

Ok......I've been throwing everything I've got at this one for the last week and haven't made very much progress on it but it's been a lot of little things that all add up to the bigger picture.

Engine bay is......finished!!

And I've got everything done here except for some work on the hood, some R/T badges, windshield wiper install and custom exhaust tips.

Thank you for the comments Dann, Charlie, Leroy and Dave! 

Dave: You know that's something I never really looked at till you pointed it out. Can't go back and change it now but I do have to say that the dash fit into the interior tub precisely where and how it was supposed to. It was something I didn't question at the time but you do bring up a good point bud.

I didn't like the kit supplied exhaust tips and decided to fabricate my own out of aluminum tubing. I angle cut a stalk, cleaned both sides up and polished them and then cut them to length and installed. Still gotta add the black soot to the insides of the pipes but I'm fairly happy with this result.

EGOp6n.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Pete, John, Dave and Jerry! I appreciate all the great comments and thank you for dropping in. I also want to thank you for the kind words on my ol' buddy Bear everyone. Our other dog Josie now joins me in the room....although she is not nearly as patient as Bear was. 

Jerry: You know.....I've really given some great thought to that part of this car. I am NOT a fan of that guard but do understand and appreciate the significance of it on the front a GL. I am, however, a Charger fan first so I don't know if I'll put it on there. 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:01 AM, mustang1989 said:

Thank you for the comments Dann, Charlie, Leroy and Dave! 

Dave: You know that's something I never really looked at till you pointed it out. Can't go back and change it now but I do have to say that the dash fit into the interior tub precisely where and how it was supposed to. It was something I didn't question at the time but you do bring up a good point bud.

I didn't like the kit supplied exhaust tips and decided to fabricate my own out of aluminum tubing. I angle cut a stalk, cleaned both sides up and polished them and then cut them to length and installed. Still gotta add the black soot to the insides of the pipes but I'm fairly happy with this result.

I wouldn't do a thing to those exhaust tips... black soot would indicate the General is running too rich... not on Cooter's watch!

They look fantastic as is!